Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Need Help with cracked screen on MacBook Pro 13" bought early 2015

can anyone recommend somewhere that is reliable and not a complete rip off

Or if anyone here has a spare for sale and the skillz to install no probs paying the going rate for a decent job

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need Help with cracked screen on MacBook Pro 13" bought early 2015

These can be tricky and expensive, you'll probably need to have it replaced as an assembly. Once I bought the LCD only, from a large supplier, spent hours and hours replacing it and managed a perfect job but the new panel just wouldn't work. The supplier accused me of breaking it until I arrived at their warehouse (where they have a workshop) and proved I was right. In the end the director had to apologise as the panels they had been sent weren't compatible on all of that model but I had to pay the difference still to get the full assembly which did work.

If you can send the serial and model (looks like A1256) I'll see if the parts are available and how expensive but if you have any insurance it's almost certainly cheaper to claim. The MacBook I'm talking about cost something like £300to repair IIRC as parts are so expensive.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a quick look and thinking maybe get the whole assembly rather than just the LCD panel as then I could do it do might cost more for the part but i'll cover the labour

Is aliexpress any good for these?

I'll get a pic of the model and sn later

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Definitely better to do the assembly, even had the panel I bought been compatible with the revision it took so long and would be very easy to f*ck up as they are so thin. Not sure about Alliexpress, never used them for parts but they do have a feedback system so check that or ReplaceBase may have them as they stock some Mac parts.

The assembly was pretty easy to replace, just be careful and take your time.

Thanks to evilsatan

MajorFU (28th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try these guys http://fixmybrokenmac.co.uk. Local to me and seem to be pretty good.
    Free pick up & delivery nationwide

Thanks to rmj2663

MajorFU (28th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

buy a borked macbook of ebay loads with duff MOBO's good screens

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its an A1502 if that helps

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

See if you can find a decent grade genuine panel on eBay maybe:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...%7C2500%7C3000

New is expensive:
    https://www.replacebase.co.uk/apple-...-assembly-oem/

Thanks to evilsatan

MajorFU (29th March 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

actually replacebase is not even new and still expensive. Ebay seller with high positive feedback might be the option rather than aliexpress

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unless you use an Apple authorised repair centre, I very much doubt you'll ever get a like for like screen for any Apple Macbook, as Apple keep tight control of everything in their company from design, manufacturer and distribution, which is why in America, they are facing a fight from the public and third-party repair shops, who want access to service repair manuals and genuine parts. Currently, only Apple authorised centres have access to service manuals and genuine parts and have to pay Apple whatever prices they quote for genuine parts. As Apple generally work on a 60% mark-up, for everything usually, owning Apple equipment is a rich man's game! You might be better off taking out an Apple Care plan and claiming via that but even with that, you have to pay so much first towards screen. I don't know the costs for Macbooks, I only looked into it for my nieces iPad Mini 2 and it still worked out at expensive. I don't know if Macbooks are glued in place, rather than screwed these days, last repair I did was on my cousins 2012 Macbook pro to reflow solder on this GPU, which lasted about 2 weeks before going again. I struggle these days just to find good LCD panels for PC based laptops and Chromebooks. All my old suppliers have either ceased trading or are supplying really cheap chinese panels, with no guarantees of dead pixels and only 90 day warranty at best. It wasn't so long ago, that I'd get genuine branded panels by LG, Samsung etc. and get a 12 month warranty but now it's like a lottery. Last panel I got for a Chromebook wouldn't even fit because they now use square locking pins, and screen supplied was the older type with round holes for the locking pins. You know what they say about square pegs in round holes! In the end, I bought a similar Chromebook with faulty SSD and swapped the bad screen over for the good one! The problem with Apple, is even a dead Macbook, would probably still sell for hundreds on eBay, where as a dead Chromebook you could get for less than £40. I think I'd rather build a hackintosh, than touch anything Apple! I use my G5 as a seat atm, I will have to get around to selling it, it's the heaviest tower I've ever had to lift, my Intel NUC suits me better, no more gym visits, just so I can lift my Apple G5