Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Creator's Update 1703 x86/x64 - borked System Image & recovery drive tools?!

Just been testing the new Creators Update (1703 10.0 build 15063.13) x86 (32-Bit) Windows Pro version and it would appear that the Back up and Restore (Windows 7) tool that can be used to make you a typical (3x DVD5) System Image of your Windows 10 installation and their Recovery - Create a Recovery drive (USB) tool are not working, at least, not on my 32-Bit test system. I would assume the 64-bit version will also suffer from the same problem as the tools are most likely the same 32-bit versions anyway.

Back-up and Restore only creates 2x DVD5s rather than the usual 3x and using them to restore a system image just throws up an error part way through!

The Create Recovery Drive tool just throws up an error before even writing to my USB drive!

Shame on you M$

This seems to mimic what I found back in the Threshold 2 (November 2015) release which was later fixed in the Anniversary Update (July 2016).

If you like to build system images or recovery drives of your Windows 10 installations, then you may have to wait for another big Windows 10 release or some patches, as their recovery tools are developed by a third-party (as far as I'm aware) and obviously M$ aren't testing their OS very well!!

I guess you'll need to use alternative imaging tools, I tend to use Acronis True Image myself but as that's a paid for app, I'm sure some people would like a free tool and the built-in Windows tools would have been a good alternative, but I guess not!!

Share your experiences on system recovery imaging on the new Creators Update....

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Creator's Update 1703 x86/x64 - borked System Image & recovery drive tools?!

Clonezilla is what I use, not as user friendly as an inbuilt GUI but we're all techies here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Creator's Update 1703 x86/x64 - borked System Image & recovery drive tools?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    The Create Recovery Drive tool just throws up an error before even writing to my USB drive!

Shame on you M$

If you like to build system images or recovery drives of your Windows 10 installations, then you may have to wait for another big Windows 10 release or some patches, as their recovery tools are developed by a third-party (as far as I'm aware) and obviously M$ aren't testing their OS very well!!

I guess you'll need to use alternative imaging tools, I tend to use Acronis True Image myself but as that's a paid for app, I'm sure some people would like a free tool and the built-in Windows tools would have been a good alternative, but I guess not!!

Share your experiences on system recovery imaging on the new Creators Update....

Acronis True Image is the exactly the same package I use - to be honest, I've used it for years and only had one problem with a corrupt image in that time.

Micro$oft tend to use many 3rd party companies.

Security is their main issue, you will never see any department dealing with security of any product that is related to them.

February 2017 was a typical example of Microsoft and how useless they really are. There were critical updates and major fixes needed but they were put 'on-hold', they only released an Adobe Flash Player browser plugin again (which is near it's EOL). Yet the critical patches were not released until March.

Microsoft has a day every month called "Patch Tuesday", which is when they release all security updates and patches ("Patch Tuesday" will fall on either the first or second Tuesday of every month).
    What Microsoft fail to inform people is what some of these patches and fixes actually do.

Now, I mentioned a third-party - that company is part of CISCO, called Talos Intelligence. They release on their blog ALL exploits and patches that are needed, these normally average around 30+ per month, but when you receive the updates from Microsoft it is usually 2 or 3 updates, they are all patches, critical updates, etc bundled in to just a couple of downloads that take ages to apply.

This is why you are sat there waiting so long for them to download and install.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ha, Ha... I've not used CloneZilla in about 8 years! Back then it was very hit and miss on various motherboard chipsets for me, on whether it would actually load up etc without getting stuck. It wasn't too bad a tool to use and I quite liked some of the more advanced options but after the demise of Symantec Ghost, Acronis has been OK for me. That said, everytime a new OS comes out and M$ changes their partition layout (Windows 8) it took a while for Acronis to release a working build but over the freebies I've tried Acronis is fairly quick to respond on the Windows platform. I keep getting nagged by Acronis emails to buy an upgrade but when I think I'd only want the ability to clone Apple MAC HFS machines now and I'm sure the online customer support said True Image didn't support that but I thought when I original bought Acronis, there was a choice to pay extra for Apple Mac functions, but perhaps that was just for the ability to back-up personal files off a Mac to the Acronis Cloud or something. As I mainly work on PCs, I didn't go for the Mac options, but my cousin keeps bringing me his old Macs to get data off etc. and I sometimes think it would be nice to be able to clone his drives before messing.

As for security, lol... my mate works for Google's Project Zero (Windows division) and his twitter feed is always talking about M$'s CVEs that they've failed to patch etc. They only silently fixed a bug he spotted 3 years ago which effected the Google Chrome browser and that was only fixed due to another bit of the OS that was patched and had a knock-on effect. He originally applied for a job at M$ on their Windows update security team but he didn't get it and Google took him instead! Before all that he used to look for bugs in Windows and Office just to use to haggle down prices for the UK Government when it came down to re-newing software licenses etc. His thoughts on Windows 10 security was 2 steps forward, one step back... embedding Adobe Flash into the Win 10 OS was a big boo, boo and default apps installed? Increases a hackers attack surface... but of course, what do we know?! Micro$oft must know what's best for their customers! I still can't believe they charge for Windows 10, with all their embedded data gathering, you'd think it would come free by now or at least match Apple's OS price. Still these corps will get away with whatever they can but linux appears to be taking over, just not on a desktop.