Lenovo t510 laptop problems

Thread: Lenovo t510 laptop problems

adam30 said:

Default Lenovo t510 laptop problems

Dear All

I have a trusted 3 year old lenovo thinkpad t510, it seems to be over heating as the fan becomes very loud and then it crashes, warranty expired a little while ago. Do not really want to purchase another, apart from PC world, can you guys recommend a firm which is reliable in fixing thinkpads pls?
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Thank you
    adam

muttleymacclad said:

Default Re: Lenovo t510 laptop problems

Why not replace the fan yourself? May just need the dust removing though. Have you tried cleaning the vents with a vacuum cleaner?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ganty said:

As mml said, clean it with some compressed air. Might also be worth running some stress tests, and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] will give you a better indication of heat and fan speeds etc...

Might also need a reapplication of thermal paste after this length of time.

If you're unsure I'm sure a few of us could take you through it step by step. And as for reputable companies, a more specific location should help!

josweet said:

As above, usually crap in the vent that requires removing. The paste should also be replaced for good measure.

riget said:

Reliable at fixing laptops apart from pcworld? It's like recommending kwik-fit.

Also I wouldn't recommend vacuum or compressed air, it'll need opening and manually removing the dust carpet.

Over Carl said:

My suggestion, compressed air first, then if no joy strip down, remove dust and new paste on CPU.

Only reason I don't like to hoover instead of compressed air - normally hoover works but on a couple of laptops for me it made overheating even worse - probably ended up sucking loads of dirt into the dust carpet..

Also instead of proper CPU paste, I normally use copper grease (often used on car brakes). Maybe CPU runs 1-2C warmer using copper grease instead of proper CPU paste, but CPU paste dries out quickly (1-3 years) while copper grease doesn't.

evilsatan said:

Thinkpad are usually pretty easy to work on and there will be loads of guides online so maybe try yourself and save the money?

adam30 said:

Thank you for the info..ill get cracking.

DejaVu said:

YouTube teardown
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Pretty simple.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

riget said:

Haha, what a joke of a vid, all that work and they didn't remove the fan, just used a brush down the gap, how not to clean a hsf lol.

DejaVu said:

Make sure to definitely remove the fan cover (usually only 4 small screws) and clean that fan as best you can. Dust attracts more dust and it is pretty pointless putting it back in still dusty!
    Least it shows how to get down to it I guess (I didn't watch the video before posting it).