Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Tevo Tarantula 3d Printer

Really look forward to seeing what you print next, I am probably like a lot of people here I would love one but don't have room for it, couldn't really justify the purchase as I don't need one and lack the time needed to play with it but love the technology.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Bouncer View Post
    Really look forward to seeing what you print next, I am probably like a lot of people here I would love one but don't have room for it, couldn't really justify the purchase as I don't need one and lack the time needed to play with it but love the technology.
    The printer is nearly done so can nearly get on with other bits. I've got a bigger bit of board coming as the one I had is a bit short so can't bolt the printer down yet, there's no real point rebuilding it until then. There's only 2 more braces I need to print in orange (to remove the green bits) and then the only original piece of acrylic left on the printer is the print bed mounting plate and a limit switch holder. A friend is going to make me a plate up in polycarbonate which has much less flex than acrylic. I see some people are making carbon and aluminium plates but I think the poly carb will do fine.

I did manage to fix my extruder so I will have a spare when they send me my replacement. I'm thinking maybe grab another clone e3d hot end for £5 and I'll have a dual extruder set up.

On the bed at the moment is my power supply rear bracket printing at 0.2. 5 hours gone and only at 54%

Tonight I'll probably print the stand again in a higher resolution. I bought some Tesco super hold hairspray which seems to be doing a great job at keeping the prints stuck. I haven't had one warp yet since using it so hopefully will do a better job on the bottom of the stand.

I really want a storm trooper helmet but with print times for some pieces going up to 18 hours I need to wiat until my mosfet arrives and also set up a smoke alarm with a relay to turn it off in case it bursts into flames. I don't want to come home to a burnt down house for the sake of a storm trooper helmet. I did have the idea of using my Nest smoke alarm and the api connected to a raspberry pi with a relay but then I thought that was way over complicated and a £5 smoke alarm would do the job. I still don't trust this Chinese power supply so may stick a scrounging post in the BST asking for a cheap ATX supply. This one is 300w so with adding another extruder motor and hot end if I do go with a dual extruder setup I will definitely need to upgrade.

I've added my camera stand and my modded brackets to thingiverse for all to share. It's nice to give something back
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2300835
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2296449

4 Thanks given to beerman

Ashley (7th May 2017),  Bald Bouncer (7th May 2017),  JonEp (18th May 2017),  piggzy (7th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

So with the new mosfet it will be quicker ???

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    So with the new mosfet it will be quicker ???
    It might be a tiny bit quicker to heat the bed but that's not its main purpose. It takes the load off the main board and will be cooled separately too.

Thanks to beerman

piggzy (7th May 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I got a new bit of glass for the bed. It cost £9 from a local shop.

I didn't like the paper clips holding my original picture frame glass on as they sometimes caught the x gantry when it was low enough and I'd forgotten to make the clips flush. So I went about designing a better solution. There were plenty of clips on thingiverse but none that clamped it down, only some that held it in place from the side. I wanted some that did both.

I had some failures along the way. I started with a simple clip design but then realised I'd loose 2cm from the bed size so scrapped them, they are the larger ones with the tevo logo on. The others are me cocking up the positioning of the holes.

Here's what I ended up with. I did intend to have all 4 corners clamping but realised I would never get the glass in there so I designed a variation that acts as a retainer clip. I also realised that side is where it homes so having it sticking up 2mm above the glass would catch the nozzle each time.

You slot the glass into the right side, this was tricky as it really clamps it down, on the left you just bend the the retainer back until it fits. It's firmly in place and not going anywhere.

This side nice and flush with the glass.

This side for clamping down

Only printed at 0.3 with 30% infill as a proof of concept but these are holding strong so I'm not going to reprint at 100% infill.

I posted in a Tevo group and got some requests for different thickness glass so I created a whole range

I'm loving fusion 360. I can't wait until I find an actual problem and need a part for it that isn't 3d printer related.

6 Thanks given to beerman

Ashley (10th May 2017),  Bald Bouncer (9th May 2017),  Ganty (9th May 2017),  I Black Belt (12th May 2017),  piggzy (9th May 2017),  rids (10th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You want to find out how much a replacement PCB would cost for your printer, then you could start printing printers ;-)

I'll buy one.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You want to find out how much a replacement PCB would cost for your printer, then you could start printing printers ;-)

I'll buy one.
    The board is £36 with the better LCD on aliexpress.

My friend wants a core xy machine, google hypercube. That'll probably be the next project. He hasn't got a lot of spare cash so it'll be built in £50 a month instalments. Whatever we can buy for £50 will be fitted that month .

Thanks to beerman

piggzy (9th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    The board is £36 with the better LCD on aliexpress.

My friend wants a core xy machine, google hypercube. That'll probably be the next project. He hasn't got a lot of spare cash so it'll be built in £50 a month instalments. Whatever we can buy for £50 will be fitted that month .
    Fucking brilliant !!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I designed a few more bits for the Tevo. I wanted to use a certain x motor mount but after trying to fit it yesterday I noticed it would occupy the same space as my limit switch.

Original bracket:

A quick test print to check I measured it correctly. It doesn't look pretty but I hadn't levelled the bed after putting it all back together, it doesn't need to look pretty for a test either.

And after a slight edit in Fusion 360, I changed the "tarantula" text as the original design had the wrong a's:

Also did fan cover with either the Tevo logo or a little spider and a spacer to match.
    Not sure if I like the grey on orange, might go with orange spider and a grey spacer

On to useful prints. I have Philips Hue lights all over my house and one thing that annoys me is the separate mount for the dimmer. People who come to my house often go straight for the conventional looking light switch rather than pressing the Hue dimmer next to it. This means they are confused when nothing happens when flicking the switch but in effect they have just turned the lights off.

I found a great solution on thingiverse, it covers the light switch and holds the dimmer all in one with a small slot for a magnet to keep the dimmer in place whilst you can still get to the existing light switch. I only had to edit the diameter of the magnet hole as I only had 20.5mm magnets and the hole was 20mm.

It did have an issue where I used the model that they guy had edited to fit the thicker light switches. He just extended the edge without merging it back in so it thought it was a new top/bottom. This caused it to split slightly when printing. I'll probably fix this for further prints but this one I'll just fill and sand.

Filled, sanded and up on the wall. I think I may have a tin of the same paint in the shed. I'll try painting it tomorrow if I get a chance.

Another usefull print I did was a Dyson wall mount, again not my design, something I found.
    I printed at 0.3 and had a bit of wobble on the z axis, hopefully will be fixed this weekend once I get some mdf. The board I was given is a bit too small but was free so can't complain.

I did also have a slight issue where I couldn't get some of the support material out of the slot where the retainer clip goes so I just chopped clip and fitted it. Looking at the photo I may need to chop a few more mm to get it flush.

Other than that small issue it fits perfectly:

I managed to fit most the bits to the printer last night so here's what it looks like now. The green corner has been reprinted in orange and the whole thing will hopefully be bolted down this weekend.

After that the only original acrylic on the printer is the print bed plate.
    Last edited by beerman; 12th May 2017 at 11:21 PM.

Ashley (17th May 2017),  Bald Bouncer (12th May 2017),  hoponbaby (13th May 2017),  piggzy (12th May 2017),  TAR (13th May 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (12th May 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

More crap I've been making:

Fidget spinners for my niece and nephews, apparently these are all the rage these days. You pause the print half way through, pop in the 2ps and it prints over them.

After finding those I looked for a Star Wars spinner as my nephew loves it. I couldn't find one on thingiverse so did my own Imperial crest spinner. I looks shit as it was just a test print with 1 single perimeter and top/bottom layers. Lucky I did a test print, I might have to scale it down due to the size of his hands.

It pissed me off that my xbox headset spent most it's time on the floor after I put the controller on the table so I made a hook for it.
    4 screws was well and truly overkill, it's rock solid with just the two. I did two embossed ones (turtle beach and xbox) and a plain, I only printed the turtle beach one though.

A box for my mosfet. I modded someone's tbh boring design so I gave it the tevo branding. His design also included a space for a fan. The fan shouldn't really be required with the size of the heatsink, time will tell lol. I did do another lid design with a 60mm fan but as I say it should be OK. I also removed the screw holes from the top and added some clips to keep it in place. The box didn't print 100% ok, I had a few layer shifts which I think I've solved with upping the voltage of the motors to 1v instead of 0.8v:

I created a stand for a friend's Tobii Eye X. There was already a design that was like a watch band but that was a lot to print so took his eyex mount and made a stand for it to go on. I've not printed it yet, my friend can fucking wait

Added an orange spider to my power supply bracket to go along with the rest of the theme.

Does anyone remember my gameboy project? Well yeah it's still in bits, I do plan to finish it but yeah As it is in bits I thought I'd try and make use of my new printer.
    I modded the original screw post bracket to include a cut out for my lcd board which saves me 4mm of space, doesn't sound a lot but space is a premium in that section of the build. Along with that I added a guide for my HDMI socket.

That's it for now. If you want to check out my designs they are here:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/beerman_uk/designs
    Last edited by beerman; 17th May 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Ashley (17th May 2017),  Bald Bouncer (17th May 2017),  cyprus (18th May 2017),  JonEp (18th May 2017),  Mobileman (3rd June 2017),  piggzy (17th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am the only one that keep waiting for the next post pmsl

Proper blokes thread

One question.... what is it like on the old leccy? How many watts while running.

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Look forward to them too and if I had the space I'd get one too.

Dunno what i would print though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post

Dunno what i would print though
    I would print all manner of pointless shit and the Mrs would do her fucking nut......... BUT, it would be worth it.

You cant tell me a custom sized flesh hole hasn't passed Beermans mind.

3 Thanks given to piggzy

Ashley (17th May 2017),  beerman (17th May 2017),  JonEp (18th May 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am the only one that keep waiting for the next post pmsl

Proper blokes thread

One question.... what is it like on the old leccy? How many watts while running.

Cheers
    Lol, I'm running out of things to make though. I'll probably start on the storm trooper helmet soon once it's all bolted. I'm just waiting on some connectors as I'll bolt them to the board too.

I fixed my tripod earlier, I think I even got it off someone on here, maybe overcarl. I lost this bit ages ago and I broke the retaining clips on the top bit so it was very loose and the camera always had a tendency to fall off. Not very good for a tripod so it's been in the cupboard for ages. It's not a very hard design, it's a rectangle attached to a circle but it works and is a perfect fit. Only one test print which I had to shave 1mm off to get the final. And no I didn't have a smaller bolt

As for electric, it pulls about 250w when heating up, then it regulates the temp like an oven so will keep clicking on and off. So anywhere between 30w (idle) and 250w.

Thanks to beerman

piggzy (18th May 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I would print all manner of pointless shit and the Mrs would do her fucking nut......... BUT, it would be worth it.

You cant tell me a custom sized flesh hole hasn't passed Beermans mind.
    I don't have any flexible filament yet I bet PLA would hurt

2 Thanks given to beerman

Ashley (18th May 2017),  piggzy (18th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Running out of things to make ? Take that switch cover over to samsung smartthings community (they have a forum) and you will have orders coming out of your ears. I am sure you could get quite a few order's....I mean idea's from this thread lol. Get that bloody gun printed that everyone was going on about the other year.

Thanks to DavidF

Ashley (18th May 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Running out of things to make ? Take that switch cover over to samsung smartthings community (they have a forum) and you will have orders coming out of your ears. I am sure you could get quite a few order's....I mean idea's from this thread lol. Get that bloody gun printed that everyone was going on about the other year.
    Ok so that was a bit of a lie. I have stuff I want to make but they are weeks worth of projects rather than something I can have a finished product in a day.

As for the light switch the problem is licensing. I don't own the design for the switch cover so under creative commons I'm not allowed to sell it. It is quite a basic design, it's just 2 boxes joined with filleted corners so could recreate it from scratch but I can't think how to make it different to get around the license. The guy who designed it already sells them on ebay for £10.99. The only way around it I suppose is to say I'll make one for someone and ask them for a donation to cover the cost of electric and materials, say...£10.99

Anyway I can't do anything for a few days. I broke the PTFE tube connector when I was swapping over my x carriage to the modular one. The connector grips the tube and I couldn't get it out so forced it. Now when I print the extruder feeds filament into the tube and the tube just works its way out of the connector. New one on order from the UK for £3, it would be 80p from China. I also grabbed some spare PTFE tube in case it's the tube that's worn and is too thin for the connector, again £3 when from China it would be around 50p but with a 3 week wait. If the PTFE is fine I'll just use that on my new assembly for the hot end which will be handy not having to swap.

I got my replacement stepper motor. I was originally thinking dual extruder but I've read some horror stories on set up so decided to go dual Z axis instead. A lead screw was £5 and the coupler I will print, I wanted to get rid of the springy coupler on the other side anyway. I either need to mod my cables or buy a splitter as I intend to run them in parallel. This halves the torque output for the motors but as it's just lifting a carriage on layer change and retractions it should be alright. I'd rather have half the torque going from both sides than all the torque from the one side.
    Last edited by beerman; 18th May 2017 at 12:04 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Small update:

PTFE connector came, much better than the crappy one that came with the kit.

Lead screw came, I ordered the wrong pitch on the thread FFS.

Fitted an aluminium Y carriage and fitted the rail I had.

Which meant I needed a new design a cable chain connector, someone had already done a design but it was for the wrong side. It also required two pieces printed so I changed it for my side and a one piece print.

Created a mount for my screen to hang off the edge of the MDF.

Then realised I will knock that with my knees so changed the design to keep the lcd box above the board.

I had a major clog in my original hot end. All my own fault, when I was changing the y carriage I pulled one of the wires out to give me a bit more room and then forgot to plug it back in. The wire was for the hot end cooling fan. This resulted in filament melting further up the tube than it should have and clogging the filament in the PTFE tube. I've taken it all apart and still can't get the tube out so I'd say it's fucked.

I already had a new hot end assembled and ready to go so changing it didn't take long. Whilst I was changing around wires I thought it was a great time to add another cable chain that I'd already printed. Ignore the case being in a state, it spends more time open than not so I'm looking at redesigning it and moving it off the frame completely.

Onto a what crap I've been printing.

My friends EyeX mount. The bastard then tells me it is a Tobii 4C which has a different mount so I need to change a few bits.

A controller mount that fits the headset adaptor. This is a remix of a design although due to all the curves on the original it was easier to use that for reference and start from scratch. This was printed with the new hot end assembly which I haven't tuned yet so has a few gaps on the top layer around the screw hole and on the xbox logo.

And I started on the helmet

This is what happens when things go wrong mid print. I set up a go pro for a time lapse and it caught this. Watch the spool holder on the right. The filament got tangled probably due to being badly wound on the spool. When it finished I checked the spool and it was all crossed so rewound it on an empty spool. I'm not sure if it will look any good filled and sanded but will give it a go first before reprinting another.

Ashley (3rd June 2017),  Bald Bouncer (3rd June 2017),  hoponbaby (4th June 2017),  Mobileman (3rd June 2017),  piggzy (3rd June 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (3rd June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have had that happen keep meaning to print a decent holder out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12