Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPN

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help VPN

Whats the best free vpn for streaming, i use ZenMate in my browser but is it ok for streaming as its now illegal to watch streams in the EU from 28th of April

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: VPN

Don't think the free ones are good enough for streaming imho

Thanks to piggzy

WRATH OF BOD (2nd May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just started using Vyprvpn. Decent apps and they have an app on Android TV's play store, so no pissing about shoehorning an apk on to my TV, like I had to do with my last vpn provider.

2 Thanks given to CzarJunkie

I Black Belt (1st May 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (2nd May 2017)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The only resource you should need, they have an advanced comparison too:
    https://thatoneprivacysite.net/simpl...parison-chart/

I use PrivateInternetAccess, they have global servers, decent apps etc.

5 Thanks given to evilsatan

Ganty (3rd May 2017),  moonrat (5th May 2017),  Over Carl (5th May 2017),  piggzy (2nd May 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (2nd May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent link. Thanks. Nice to be able to see easily who logs and who doesn't regardless of their claims. Also easy to see which country HO is based so you can identify jurisdictions etc

Bookmarked.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

PIA - Switzerland
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks to Rick Sanchez

WRATH OF BOD (3rd May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah from what I've heard PIA is the VPN of choice.

Can anyone just tell me if they do apps for mobile devices, android Tv boxs and win x? Also pricing and deals? I know I could trawl their website but real user opinions always better.

Cheers

DJ OD

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Yeah from what I've heard PIA is the VPN of choice.

Can anyone just tell me if they do apps for mobile devices, android Tv boxs and win x? Also pricing and deals? I know I could trawl their website but real user opinions always better.
    Android - Yes
    iOS - Yes
    Windows - Yes

$40 for the year atm
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks to Rick Sanchez

DJ OD (4th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are these okay for streaming UK TV services? I travel a lot with work and am keen to be able to access iplayer and Now TV when abroad?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

TBH I was gonna post a similar thread I tried pia (pain in ass) about year and half ago and found very laggy the servers and didn't have speed then even before I went to fibre , I know evil has been giving them good reviews so do I need to give them another try ?

Heard about box you plug onto router that can do all VPN and then you can control each device on that , e.g. Sat box , wifi Etc anyone got experience of those ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    TBH I was gonna post a similar thread I tried pia (pain in ass) about year and half ago and found very laggy the servers and didn't have speed then even before I went to fibre , I know evil has been giving them good reviews so do I need to give them another try ?

Heard about box you plug onto router that can do all VPN and then you can control each device on that , e.g. Sat box , wifi Etc anyone got experience of those ?

I seem to max my 30Mbps connection using PIA, so maybe they have improved? I have the portable router from my other thread which works well, although not sure how suitable it'd be for 24/7 use. I have also set up an Asus router with merlin FW and set it so some MAC addresses route through the VPN that is configured on the router and others have a direct connection, is this what you were looking for?

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

Mobileman (5th May 2017),  Over Carl (5th May 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    The only resource you should need, they have an advanced comparison too:
    https://thatoneprivacysite.net/simpl...parison-chart/

I use PrivateInternetAccess, they have global servers, decent apps etc.
    Looking at that I'm tempted by Mullvad.

Anyone have any experience with them?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I seem to max my 30Mbps connection using PIA, so maybe they have improved? I have the portable router from my other thread which works well, although not sure how suitable it'd be for 24/7 use. I have also set up an Asus router with merlin FW and set it so some MAC addresses route through the VPN that is configured on the router and others have a direct connection, is this what you were looking for?
    Hi bud,
    Guess I'm looking for something to sit on the line end or router itself that means all devices traffic filter through the vpn , thinking about the number of devices I use and changing devices then I think maybe me changing my router and running some sort vpn client on it is best ?

So guess I'm looking for a new fibre router and then go from there ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried ipvanish but my fucking EE router isn't compatible with it!! So I'm fucked for a VPN on my Edision box
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nibb have you looked into smartdnsproxy proxy?
    If you use the service they have a vpn service that's included.

its what I use on my iPad and laptop to access iptorrents. As EE block torrent sites now.
    Not sure if the vpn works in the router settings or not I will have a gander.

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Based on EvilSatans link I am currently trying BolehVPN and so far would highly recommend ..

Very good speeds and the info in the links show they are one of the "safest" VPN's with regards to logs, jurisdiction etc
    Would recommend so far.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I never really looked into VPN for this kind of usage, my only experience with VPN is setting them up to join sites or allow workers to access a head office.

One thing that surprises me is that you can get 30Mb throughput using a domestic router.

I'm hoping domestic routers have come along heaps and bounds since the days I was doing this, as I could only recall getting those kind of speeds using PPTP VPN using routers that cost less than a grand.

I doubt I could easily hack a PPTP VPN, but the security industry considers the protocol obsolete as those experts consider it trivial to hack PPTP VPN.

I remember having a discussion where we justified using PPTP VPN for corporate traffic until we finished upgrading everything, as our point of view was that only people who could easily hack us were our ISP's and I doubt they would be interested in the day to day runnings of a building company. In those days IPSEC was considered secure but apparently the NSA have broken that. From what I remember, OpenVPN was miles better than PPTP, but not quite as good as IPSEC, but anything with the word "Open" in the name will attract a big enough following.

However in this context, ISP's decrypting VPN's may be something to be worried about. I even wonder if it won't be long until anyone using VPN on a domestic connection will have their VPN traffic decrypted to inspect for connections to known illegitimate content providers.
    Last edited by Over Carl; 6th May 2017 at 12:02 AM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I never really looked into VPN for this kind of usage, my only experience with VPN is setting them up to join sites or allow workers to access a head office.

One thing that surprises me is that you can get 30Mb throughput using a domestic router.

I'm hoping domestic routers have come along heaps and bounds since the days I was doing this, as I could only recall getting those kind of speeds using PPTP VPN using routers that cost less than a grand.

I doubt I could easily hack a PPTP VPN, but the security industry considers the protocol obsolete as those experts consider it trivial to hack PPTP VPN.

I remember having a discussion where we justified using PPTP VPN for corporate traffic until we finished upgrading everything, as our point of view was that only people who could easily hack us were our ISP's and I doubt they would be interested in the day to day runnings of a building company. In those days IPSEC was considered secure but apparently the NSA have broken that. From what I remember, OpenVPN was miles better than PPTP, but not quite as good as IPSEC, but anything with the word "Open" in the name will attract a big enough following.

However in this context, ISP's decrypting VPN's may be something to be worried about. I even wonder if it won't be long until anyone using VPN on a domestic connection will have their VPN traffic decrypted to inspect for connections to known illegitimate content providers.
    I had the VPN client installed on my PC rather than had the router make the connection so this may be the difference as I have much more processing power on there.

In recent iOS versions Apple have blocked the PPTP protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    I tried ipvanish but my fucking EE router isn't compatible with it!! So I'm fucked for a VPN on my Edision box
    It's possible that PPTP ports have been blocked, did you try other VPN methods? Was the VPN client installed on a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Hi bud,
    Guess I'm looking for something to sit on the line end or router itself that means all devices traffic filter through the vpn , thinking about the number of devices I use and changing devices then I think maybe me changing my router and running some sort vpn client on it is best ?

So guess I'm looking for a new fibre router and then go from there ?

The Asus routers are VDSL capable and the merlin FW seems good. Not sure on the throughput but any devices that you want to bypass the VPN can be set in the router. I'd imagine these are one of the best routers for this purpose, loads of options in the CP.

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (11th May 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Gotta be on the router as I'm running iptv via my Edision enigma 2 box
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

@nibb maybe worth buying a cheap dd-wrt router to add a vpn?
    pick up a cheap one on eBay for £15.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks