Close

Thread: Window flashing

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Window flashing

Bit of a strange one. For the last couple of weeks I've noticed a window opening and closing very quickly, so quickly I cant see what it is. It's happening randomly and there is no pattern to it. I've run various scans and gone through task manager but I cant find anything. Today I noticed the same behaviour on my PC at work and my colleague said he had seen the same thing on his PC. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Window flashing

check task scheduler history/logs

is its a windows cmd prompt? if so I think you can do some reg editting to prevent closure automatically

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MHP View Post
    Bit of a strange one. For the last couple of weeks I've noticed a window opening and closing very quickly, so quickly I cant see what it is. It's happening randomly and there is no pattern to it. I've run various scans and gone through task manager but I cant find anything. Today I noticed the same behaviour on my PC at work and my colleague said he had seen the same thing on his PC. Has anyone had a similar problem?
    I thought I was the only one!

Randomly a dos box appears in the background for a nano second, behind what I was doing, nothing on the bar below usually behind a chrome browser.

I ran Kapraskey, Malwarebytes and ImunNet and nothing was found.

I did a fresh install after formatting the partition, not just a reset this PC and loaded just Chrome and Office and C Cleaner and an hour in it started again. So I uninstalled C Cleaner. Now I think it happened again once since but I'm not 100% sure and I've not seen it since ....

I did wonder if there was another NSA tool let loose by shadow brokers.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ols-ransomware
    Last edited by JonEp; 3rd June 2017 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks to JonEp

MHP (3rd June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by JonEp View Post
    I thought I was the only one!

Randomly a dos box appears in the background for a nano second, behind what I was doing, nothing on the bar below usually behind a chrome browser.

I ran Kapraskey, Malwarebytes and ImunNet and nothing was found.

I did a fresh install after formatting the partition, not just a reset this PC and loaded just Chrome and Office and C Cleaner and an hour in it started again. So I uninstalled C Cleaner. Now I think it happened again once since but I'm not 100% sure and I've not seen it seen ....

I did wonder if there was another NSA tool let loose by shadow brokers.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ols-ransomware
    Jon, are you sure its a dos box? It's far to quick for me to see what it is. How long have you had the problem, I think it maybe linked to a recent windows update.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did anyone else come to this thread thinking MHP is some sort of pervert

4 Thanks given to fanni

flumperino (3rd June 2017),  JonEp (3rd June 2017),  MHP (3rd June 2017),  WRATH OF BOD (11th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    check task scheduler history/logs

is its a windows cmd prompt? if so I think you can do some reg editting to prevent closure automatically
    I've enabled task history (its default is disabled) and I'll see what it finds.

Thanks to MHP

JonEp (3rd June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MHP View Post
    Jon, are you sure its a dos box? It's far to quick for me to see what it is. How long have you had the problem, I think it maybe linked to a recent windows update.
    I agree, it is quick, dead centre of the screen and though I'm not sure its a dos box is reminds me of a batch file running then closing which is where I came to the conclusion it was a dos box.

I was almost at the stage of setting a video camera up but it is so irregular that might of been a long video which is why I rebuild the box.

Do you have C Cleaner installed, just wondering if there was any substance to my thought is was that in the background?

EDIT: I've only noticed in the last 10 days.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This looks like it may be it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/fix-c...kly-windows-10

Seeing a Command Prompt box flash quickly on Windows 10? It's because of Office, and here's the fix.

BY MAURO HUCULAK Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 2:54 pm EDT

Do you see a Command Prompt box flash quickly on Windows 10? It's Office 365 fault. There is a fix coming, but here's what you can do now.

If you recently started noticing a Command Prompt box flashing quickly every hour on your Windows 10 computer, you should know that it's not a virus or malware trying to steal your information. It's actually a bug with Microsoft Office 365.
    The anomaly is caused by two tasks, including OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration and OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerLogon that Office 365 automatically configures with the Task Scheduler on Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Office. And every time they run, they cause a window to appear quickly in the screen every hour, and every time you sign in to Windows 10. However, this is not an issue affecting everyone; it only seems to be happening for those users who are enrolled in the Fast ring of the Office Insider Program.
    There is a workaround floating around the internet, but the fact is that Microsoft is aware of the bug, and it has already fixed the problem. However, the fix is included starting with build 16.0.8201.2025, which currently is only available for those who are participating in the Slow ring of the Office Insider Program.
    How to stop the Command Prompt box flashing quickly

The update will eventually roll out to everyone, but if this Command Prompt box flashing quickly on the screen every hour keeps bothering you, it's possible to temporarily enroll your installation of Office 365 to the Slow ring using the following steps to address the issue:

1. Open an Office 2016 application.
    2. Click on File.
    3. Click on Account
    4. Click the Office Insider tile.
    5. Click on Join Office Insider.

6. Check the Sign me up for early access to new releases of Office option.
    7. Select the Insider Slow level.

8. Click OK to complete the enrollment.

Once you completed the steps, check for update and your Office 365 installation should now install the latest version available in the Slow ring, which includes the fix.

Thanks to JonEp

plug1 (4th June 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good find Jon. All 3 PC's I've witnessed this on have Office 365 installed. I've checked Task Scheduler History and 'OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration' is happening every hour. I'm running Office 365 Business so there doesn't seem to be an option to join Office Insider. looks like I'll have to wait for an update.