Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 3d Printed Episode 7 Stormtrooper helmet

After completing my original Stormtrooper helmet I started printing the Episode 7 version.

It's all together and needs a good sanding. I printed it in yellow as that filament was only £13 rather than the usual £20 I have been paying for the white.

Printed in around 100 hours (21 pieces). I've added a latching led switch to the aerator, not original to the film prop but fuck it it looks cool. The lipo is only 140mAh but the led is only drawing 10mA so I make that 14 hours and I don't intend to leave it on that long. Once the battery dies (if it ever does) I'll desolder and add some AAAs as I can't charge the lipo in the helmet.

It's upside down as it has only just been superglued on the mouth section.

Total cost so far £13 for filament, £2 for superglue, whatever 100hours at 150w electric is. Still to add to budget is the epoxy. I was using Araldite but found some epoxy in toolstation for £2.40 which is a third of the price. Also the spray paint and primer (£8).
    Last edited by beerman; 23rd July 2017 at 05:07 PM.

10 Thanks given to beerman

Bald Bouncer (23rd July 2017),  cyprus (24th July 2017),  greens117 (13th September 2017),  hoponbaby (23rd July 2017),  JonEp (23rd July 2017),  josweet (23rd July 2017),  Over Carl (23rd July 2017),  piggzy (23rd July 2017),  WillD (14th July 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (23rd July 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 3d Printed Episode 7 Stormtrooper helmet

looking good
    WHEN i get my printer, i fancy trying this

2 Thanks given to WRATH OF BOD

Bald Bouncer (23rd July 2017),  beerman (23rd July 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Small update

First pass of primer and sanding done.

Second pass done and added the air vents. It's ready for spraying white now.

Keeping in mind I started off with this for the dome as I couldn't be bothered to reprint it after a failure I think it's turned out well so far.

Thanks to beerman

WRATH OF BOD (31st July 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sprayed white. Needs another few coats yet, it looks grey against my other helmet.

4 Thanks given to beerman

Bald Bouncer (1st August 2017),  consoles (2nd August 2017),  maltloaf (2nd August 2017),  Mystical_2K (2nd August 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Finally got around to finishing it. The black enamel paint leaked under the masking tape and left a real mess, had to scrap with a knife and sand some bits. Not completely happy with the finish but good enough.

7 Thanks given to beerman

beansontoast (14th August 2017),  dainese (19th October 2017),  greens117 (13th September 2017),  Mystical_2K (15th August 2017),  piggzy (15th August 2017),  WillD (14th July 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (14th August 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Looks good from here mate
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

looks like an old granny with the shakes putting lipstick on hehe but yeah good job mate ;-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    looks like an old granny with the shakes putting lipstick on hehe but yeah good job mate ;-)
    Yeah I need to go back and redo it. Enamel isn't the easiest to paint whilst masked off. It seems to creep under the mask no matter how many times I run my fingernail over it. In hindsight I should have sprayed it instead.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good enough to rob your local Spar with ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i bit the bullet and ordered my printer, £259 delivered with a roll of pla pre built
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3D-pri...72.m2749.l2649

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by WRATH OF BOD View Post
    well i bit the bullet and ordered my printer, £259 delivered with a roll of pla pre built
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-3D-pri...72.m2749.l2649
    Nice one, can't wait to see what how you get on with it.

A few points though:
    The build volume is quite small, especially for the price. I struggle with 220x220x200mm and wish I'd gone bigger from the start. A 220x150x150 build volume would mean you are chopping more parts up. If you are wanting to print the helmets some of the parts exceed your build volume.

It is prebuilt which is nice but I would have advised a kit as you learn so much more than buying prebuilt. If anything goes wrong on mine I pretty much know what to do to fix it as I put it together. With this you are relying on someone in China lining everything up so it's square, I'd rather make sure of that myself.

Have CTC got their own forums or facebook group? If so join up and start reading, people will mention whatever issues the printer may have (it will, all chinese printers seem to) and members will point you in the direction of potential fixes or upgrades. For example I see it lacks a layer fan so you'll need to print one and buy a suitable fan to fit it.

As a safety concern - check they are using a mosfet for the heated bed to take the current draw off the main board, for the sake of £10 it's worth it to stop your printer and potentially home going up in smoke.

Thanks to beerman

WRATH OF BOD (28th August 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Btw here's my latest one put together It's a Death Trooper from Rogue One. I'm still undecided if I want to add green electroluminescent circles to the breathers yet.

5 Thanks given to beerman

Bald Bouncer (28th August 2017),  flumperino (3rd September 2017),  JonEp (3rd September 2017),  WillD (14th July 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (28th August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Nice one, can't wait to see what how you get on with it.

A few points though:
    The build volume is quite small, especially for the price. I struggle with 220x220x200mm and wish I'd gone bigger from the start. A 220x150x150 build volume would mean you are chopping more parts up. If you are wanting to print the helmets some of the parts exceed your build volume.

It is prebuilt which is nice but I would have advised a kit as you learn so much more than buying prebuilt. If anything goes wrong on mine I pretty much know what to do to fix it as I put it together. With this you are relying on someone in China lining everything up so it's square, I'd rather make sure of that myself.

Have CTC got their own forums or facebook group? If so join up and start reading, people will mention whatever issues the printer may have (it will, all chinese printers seem to) and members will point you in the direction of potential fixes or upgrades. For example I see it lacks a layer fan so you'll need to print one and buy a suitable fan to fit it.

As a safety concern - check they are using a mosfet for the heated bed to take the current draw off the main board, for the sake of £10 it's worth it to stop your printer and potentially home going up in smoke.
    I bought pre built as the kits don't come with much of a warranty if any, I didn't want the hassle with returns to China, bought from UK supplier, will be making new cooling fans once I get it. i have joined a CTC group on Facebook, i have been looking at rigid-ink at 1.75mm media also found some verbitum 1.75 on fleebay going cheep

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought pre built as the kits don't come with much of a warranty if any, I didn't want the hassle with returns to China, bought from UK supplier, will be making new cooling fans once I get it. i have joined a CTC group on Facebook, i have been looking at rigid-ink at 1.75mm media also found some verbitum 1.75 on fleebay going cheep
    If you are after cheap filament I've used Primavalue and also BQ from Amazon, both print well. I did get a roll from ebay for £11 which was what the death trooper is printed in. Couldn't really fault in print quality but when it got to the bottom of the roll it looked like it had been spooled by Stevie Wonder, luckily I caught it as it was tangling.

Thanks to beerman

WRATH OF BOD (29th August 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have set up printer today, sorted bed out & calibrated, just printing new spool holder, so far so good.
    i only got pla with the system now need to try abs, whats your media of choice beerman.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i have set up printer today, sorted bed out & calibrated, just printing new spool holder, so far so good.
    i only got pla with the system now need to try abs, whats your media of choice beerman.
    I have no enclosure so only print in PLA. I can print ABS but only things that aren't that tall due to the bad layer adhesion at low ambient temperatures. You need around 50c ambient temperature to get good layer adhesion. I tried printing some rack mount brackets for my wireless controller which came out great but I was able to split them along the layers lines.

I do need to get some PETG as I wan't to rebuild the with some different mounts anyway (moving the Y stepper motors to the bottom so the weight of the X axis isn't hanging on the coupler). PETG has a glass temp of 80c so will be better suited for an enclosure. PLA glass temp is 60c and seeing as my brackets are printed in PLA, putting them in an enclosure wouldn't be wise.

Get some pics up, lets see this puppy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

does your version of the ctc have the dongle that limits the time u use it ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mark.tyrrell View Post
    does your version of the ctc have the dongle that limits the time u use it ?
    no, i don't think so.

Thanks
    Karma Level

not done much, just printed from sd card, new spool holder, need to sus out software on pc , i have hung a pc case fan on front for now, will be adding a better cooler for pla

4 Thanks given to WRATH OF BOD

Bald Bouncer (2nd September 2017),  beerman (3rd September 2017),  JonEp (3rd September 2017),  mark.tyrrell (2nd September 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have not used a filaments guide tube, I don't see the point, more drag as the filament is getting pulled into the head. i hope to do Thors Hammer soon, then my main goal is 1:64th scale car parts like hotrod engines.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast