Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Geforce 8600 gt graphics card, failed repair

So I have a geforce 8600 gt (en8600gt) fanless graphics card that was giving me problems, it would cause artifacting in videos initially but then constantly freeze and lock up and sometimes go to blue screen. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers and the computer would start up in VGA mode and it worked but it was very sluggish. I noticed some capacitors looked bulged so I ordered some more and replaced the bulged capacitors but when I restarted the computer it would not turn on instead the red VGA LED would light up.

I tried again to turn it on and it only started up once but the screen was terrible there was so much artifacting and after that it would not turn on again instead the screen would be black. So I took the new capacitors off and put the old ones back on and I still got the red VGA light and the computer monitor would not turn on.
    I put the new capacitors back on but this time I replaced a few more old capacitors that looked fine so in total replaced eight capacitors but still I get a red VGA light and the monitor does not turn on.

I've added photos of the capacitors the old one is the brown one the black one is the new one what did I do wrong, initially at least the computer would start up in VGA mode but now it doesn't turn on at all.

I think I killed the graphics card competely so ordered a cheap one from eBay, but just curious as to what I did wrong here to make things worse as I got 6.3v 820uf capacitors, same as the old ones. I tried the card in a different computer and the screen would not turn on also.

https://i.imgur.com/vLlN71I_d.jpg?ma...&fidelity=high
    https://i.imgur.com/JWWaG5O_d.jpg?ma...&fidelity=high
    Last edited by Xad; 1st August 2017 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Geforce 8600 gs graphics card, failed repair

Are you sure the gpu hasent lifted
    May be wrong but i dont think caps wouldn't cause what your problem .try heating the heat sink
    With a hairdryer and see if the screen changes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back, but if it was the gpu, should the computer have turned on at all, because before my botch capacitor replacement, the graphics card was working in VGA mode with the nvidia drivers uninstalled, but if I installed the drivers and tried to start at normal 1080p mode the pc would crash.

The first time I noticed problems before the crashes was media player classic struggling to play videos in that the video would start corrupting and artifacting after a short while of playing normally, requiring the video to be closed and restarted but when I disabled hardware/gpu acceleration in the settings, it seemed to work fine for a while until the full computer crashes started.

Also on another forum some people are saying I might have used the wrong capacitors in that the ripple current and ESR are the wrong specifications, thought it was just the voltage and uf rating I needed so ordered those in a rush, but also, when I soldered the original capacitors back on it didn't work either while before it was working in VGA mode (via dvi cable).

Original TK:
    ESR: 0.036ohms
    Ripple current: 1140mA

New Rubycon (from ebay)
    ESR: 0.056
    Ripple current: 945mA
    Last edited by Xad; 2nd August 2017 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

where the caps pin in hole or smd ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pin/legs in hole, got it from this guy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300494581145

Thanks
    Karma Level

The reason I ask is its very easy to damage internal tracks on sandwich boards . Did you try putting the old caps back to see if it reverts to original fault

Thanks
    Karma Level

After the first failed repair where i replaced only the 4 bulged caps, i decided to desolder the new caps and solder the 4 old capacitors back on thinking i'll just use the computer in VGA mode until a new basic graphics card comes as i have no onboard graphics port on the motherboard (Asus P7P55D); but putting the original caps back on did not bring the graphics card back to life instead it was still dead with motherboard giving the red VGA error light and no response on the monitor which remained black and in standby no matter how long i waited and having cleared CMOS.

After that having decided the card is probably dead, i tried different variations of replacing 8 caps, then installing all 10 caps i got removing ones that even looked fine, but still no fix.

It was such a pain soldering and desoldering these weird boards that i ending up soldering on the back of the board, to the surface rather than all the way through; i just presumed it was going to be an easy pull out of caps and replacement, but these boards are a nightmare to remove the capacitors, remove the old solder and then install new ones. Are these boards supposed to be more resilient or something?

I think you might be right about the GPU being the issue, another person mentioned that also; will try it with a hairdryer, i'm guessing a heatgun would have been better but don't have one sadly, not sure if the hairdryer would heat up enough but worth a shot.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tried the hairdryer test, unfortunately same problem, red VGA_LED light comes on and monitor stays black. I heated the heatsink up a lot, too hot to touch, then shoved it in quickly, but didn't change anything, tried resetting CMOS again, still the same problem though.

Could it be that the GPU rather than coming off, is completely dead? It's a fanless card with a big, somewhat cheap looking metal heatsink, wondering if the build up of heat over the years killed it as this model is usually sold with a fan attached:

(Asus Geforce en8600gt silent)
    https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/14-121-098-03.jpg

Thanks
    Karma Level

You should remove the heatsink to attempt the "reflow", but sounds like you've killed it with the attempt in changing the caps (I doubt it was ever them).

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by riget View Post
    You should remove the heatsink to attempt the "reflow", but sounds like you've killed it with the attempt in changing the caps (I doubt it was ever them).

I think this also

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol .you cant reflow with a hairdryer .the idea is the heat sink expands ect . It's a common way to diagnosis lifted chips .
    The best bet with PIH on a sandwich board if you havent got a pre heater and hot air is to snip out the old part and solder to the legs. Or you have a good chance off pulling the core out with the component leg .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you use esd precautions when you worked on the card?

Thanks
    Karma Level

take heatsink off, take all removable plastics off, wrap all other plastics in grease proof paper and tin foil, place in cold oven, 10 mins at 100, 5 mins at 140,
    5 mins at 170 last 5 mins at 220, turn of oven and let it all cool down completely
    i have done this with ps3, xbox 360 & at least 2 gtx 760 gfx cards and worked for me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by plug1 View Post
    The best bet with PIH on a sandwich board if you havent got a pre heater and hot air is to snip out the old part and solder to the legs. Or you have a good chance off pulling the core out with the component leg .
    Definitely a good tip for future projects about snip out the old bad caps and leaving the legs to solder on as they were a pain to desolder and remove and i may have damaged something while removing as i was really wriggling them around hard to get them out even with a 60w iron - it would go to explain why it didn't work even with the old caps back on.
    No to the esd protection, my setup is super basic only soldering rarely.

Is there any point in getting the exact same TK caps and trying again? Or is the result most likely to be the same based on how the card didn't work with new or old caps.

One thing to note, maybe pointless, is that when i initially removed the four old bulged caps only to resolder them back on, i didn't solder each back to its original spot as the four were mixed together, but they were the same specification, however could it be that some of the old caps were worse than others so rearranging them caused the worsening of the card, but if i labelled their exact position maybe the card would have gone to its original state of working in basic vga mode?
    Last edited by Xad; 2nd August 2017 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Put it in bin mate , Im sure you got better things to do , coz ill eat my hat if you fix it . but dont ever stop trying . it seems to be common them theses day to blame electrolytic capacitors for every fault .
    they are analog components ,used mostly to smooth out the power lines and buffer the current .

Artifacts on the screen are usual caused by gpu or the display controller or even the screen

Im having a clear out as its free listing month on ebay , im sure i have a few cards some ware . Ill send you one out if i find one

Thanks to plug1

{{909}} (8th August 2017)