Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Mac address disable

I have a timer on my home network which is controlled by the mac address. I have discovered that my 14yr old son has changed his Mac address to get round the block which tbh, im kind of impressed by tbh.. and a lil annoyed.
    I havent showed my hand as this for me is now a cat & mouse game. It used to be hard to change the mac & could only be done in dos.. so i thought!
    Its a new Intel chipset NIC device on his M/B & quick google search brings up a how to ffs.
    https://www.interfacett.com/blogs/ch...ivers-windows/

This is where im stuck, as im not sure what move to make to prevent internet access I know the easy solution is to give him a bollocking, but as he is leaning towards a career in IT, so as he is having to learn & research networking in hope to keep in his internet on for longer, he is getting an education it without in realising it lol

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mac address disable

Is he wireless or wired? What router do you have? I don't know what routers allow this but I'll use Draytek as an example, you could have him on a wired port and assign that port to a VLAN then apply schedules to that VLAN. Would work with wireless too tbh as you can have several SSIDs.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

couldnt you change router settings to only allow certain mac ids that way it wouldn't matter what he changed it to

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by psxcity View Post
    couldnt you change router settings to only allow certain mac ids that way it wouldn't matter what he changed it to
    He would just copy a MAC that is allowed on the network.

Personally I would get an old router and add it to the network for him to use that as his connection and therefore you could do what you need in regards to his connection, time limits just for him etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its a wired connection via a VM superhub. Im leaning towards finding an old router & flashing DDwrt on it, i can then select the option ONLY allow this mac & no other
    Flashing DDwrt isnt a problem, but what router would u suggest? Maybe an old Sky one?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't remember the name, but most routers have an option so a particular MAC address gets allocated a fixed IP address. Setup all your devices using this, then reduce the size of your DHCP pool to the same as the number of devices you have configured.

If he copies another device's MAC that will cause serious problems for both devices when they are both connected.

Big catch is it will be a nuisance adding any more devices to your network (e.g. if a friend comes round and wants to join their phone to your home internet).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get hold of his laptop, find his most visited websites, open his host file and redirect all his favourites to meatspin.com

He should learn a little respect after that.

(in all seriousness though overcarl's method of reducing the dhcp pool would work).

Isn't there a programme that can change bandwidth allocation so you could effectively allow him 0mb after a certain time?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I can't remember the name, but most routers have an option so a particular MAC address gets allocated a fixed IP address. Setup all your devices using this, then reduce the size of your DHCP pool to the same as the number of devices you have configured.

If he copies another device's MAC that will cause serious problems for both devices when they are both connected.

Big catch is it will be a nuisance adding any more devices to your network (e.g. if a friend comes round and wants to join their phone to your home internet).
    That's a MAC bind, you can also set up strict bind on some routers where the MAC list becomes a whitelist with any other MACs blocked rather than set the DHCP pool size.

I use the method you've mentioned when adding PDQs to an office network, assign one physical port and no WLAN to a VLAN, set the DHCP pool to a single IP that is bound to the PDQ and the subnet to something random (avoiding any common defaults). This is to isolate any PDQ traffic from the rest of the network.