Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Best SHA256 coin?

As Bitcoin mining isn't really worthwhile without crap loads of hardware I was wondering what others are mining at the moment? I have some Antminer U2's sat here doing nothing at the moment.
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Best SHA256 coin?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBoB View Post
    As Bitcoin mining isn't really worthwhile without crap loads of hardware I was wondering what others are mining at the moment? I have some Antminer U2's sat here doing nothing at the moment.

From what I am reading mining of SHA256 is pretty much over unless you literally had a 100 Antminers and free leccy.

Coins everyone seems to be trying to mine at the mo is BCN (ByteCoin), XMR (Monero), ETH (Ethereum) and other GPU mining based ones.
    Basically a bunch of coins have come out that are asic resistant (they claim to be giving back to the poor man) who assume they say cant afford an ASIC mining rig. These are basically CPU or mostly GPU mined.
    If you have a monster GPU I would mine XMR right now and possibly ETH but this requires min of 2GB GPU as it has to prepare a DAG to mine which is currently just under 2GB and growing so may soon need a 3GB GPU.

Thanks
    Karma Level

To add. Litecoin can be asic mined and depending on what hashes you can achieve you might get a return doing that. It is making some pretty good gains against Bitcoin exchange wise so you could mine LTC then exchange for BTC as it keeps rising.

Forgot about LTC :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    From what I am reading mining of SHA256 is pretty much over unless you literally had a 100 Antminers and free leccy.
    From what I had read, money can still be made, but need to buy latest model of Antminer as soon as it comes out, then sell it just before the next one comes out and the value of the old one drops.

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Coins everyone seems to be trying to mine at the mo is BCN (ByteCoin), XMR (Monero), ETH (Ethereum) and other GPU mining based ones.
    Basically a bunch of coins have come out that are asic resistant (they claim to be giving back to the poor man) who assume they say cant afford an ASIC mining rig. These are basically CPU or mostly GPU mined.
    If you have a monster GPU I would mine XMR right now and possibly ETH but this requires min of 2GB GPU as it has to prepare a DAG to mine which is currently just under 2GB and growing so may soon need a 3GB GPU.
    Is there anything actually ASIC proof? From what I had read, some coins were designed to be ASIC proof, but that didn't stop people from creating ASIC's for them.

Thanks to Over Carl

piggzy (7th September 2017)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post

Is there anything actually ASIC proof?
    Yes the Cryptonote/Cryptonight based currencies. Until now have been ASIC proof and have been out years. The ASIC hardware peeps have only just announced the first miner that works on these currencies and reviews show the yet to be released hardware is a cleverly disguised GPU based mining setup converted into a USB3 type plugin box that has some clever controller to reduce electric use. These afaik are not yet released.

When I say ASIC resistant I don't mean you cannot mine using an ASIC miner, but you get virtually no better hash rates than using a much cheaper CPU/GPU setup.

Thanks to piggzy

Over Carl (7th September 2017)