Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default YouTube ending on Fire TV

Not sure where to post this.

I watch YouTube regularly through my Amazon Firebox. A few days ago I received a warning informing me as from 01/01/18 I would no longer be able to watch YouTube through my Firebox. I spoke to Amazon through their chat facility but they didn?t seem to be aware of the problem but said they would look into it. I?ve heard nothing since. I've had my Fire TV for less than a year so I'm not happy about this.

Does anyone know the reason behind this and if there is a fix?
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: YouTube ending on Fire TV

Quick google

YouTube tells you why

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/5/1...w-nest-devices

Google is pulling YouTube off the Fire TV and Echo Show as feud with Amazon grows

New Nest devices have mysteriously disappeared from Amazon

Dec 5, 2017, 2:15pm EST

Photo by Amelia Holowaty Krales / The Verge Three months ago, YouTube pulled its programming from Amazon?s Echo Show device ? the first skirmish in what is apparently an ongoing war. Shortly after, Amazon stopped selling the Nest E Thermostat, Nest?s Camera IQ, and the Nest Secure alarm system. Two weeks ago, Amazon got YouTube back on the Echo Show by simply directing users to the web version, a workaround that left a lot to be desired. But even that version won?t be available after today.
    In a statement this afternoon, a YouTube spokesperson announced that the company was withdrawing support for its service on both the Echo Show and, more importantly, Amazon?s Fire TV:
    ?​We?ve been trying to reach agreement with Amazon to give consumers access to each other's products and services. But Amazon doesn't carry Google products like Chromecast and Google Home, doesn't make Prime Video available for Google Cast users, and last month stopped selling some of Nest's latest products. Given this lack of reciprocity, we are no longer supporting YouTube on Echo Show and FireTV. We hope we can reach an agreement to resolve these issues soon.?
    YouTube will be pulled from the Echo Show today. Customers who own an Fire TV will start seeing a notification today warning them that the service will be unavailable as of January 1st, 2018. Perhaps Google is hoping that the threat of losing YouTube on its main streaming device will force Amazon to negotiate a truce both sides can live with before the new year.
    For bonus points, try asking Alexa to order you a Chromecast and see how she responds. I was offered a Fire TV stick, then a Roku, before she ran out of options.
    Last edited by Mickey; 8th December 2017 at 07:14 PM.

2 Thanks given to Mickey

Argyll (8th December 2017),  Over Carl (9th December 2017)