Close

Thread: 3d printer

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 3d printer

Looking to buy a 3d printer. Got a budget of about 600 so I was looking at the Prusa Mk2s kit. Looking to get a kit so I can learn and know what to fix it it breaks.....

Any other suggestions on what I should be looking out for?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 3d printer

It really depends on what you are using it for. The mk2s is a good piece of kit but you are limited by the build volume. This may not be a concern for you but I'm forever chopping bits to fit my bed then using glue to put them back together. I'm looking to buy a bigger printer myself and I'm eyeing the CR10 or a Tevo Tornado.
    Someone posted a pic of a tornado at max height and a model printed on my printer at max build height which is the same as the mk2s:

I did see a good core xy style printer the other day called a tronxy x5s which was relatively cheap at around ?210 which had the same build volume as the cr10 and the tornado. A core XY printer has less wobble than a cartesian printer.

The CR10 and Tornado are half built, all you need to do is plug everything in to the control box and screw in a few screws. You'll have up and running in 20 minutes whereas the tronxy is a box of bits you put together. You'll learn a lot from a Chinese kit as my experience was a chinglish manual that vaguely covered what needed to go where so I spent a good few hours watching youtube videos on how to assemble mine.

If you are totally against a Chinese printer your options are pretty limited to a prusa or a lulzbot taz.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest I just want to print of some star trek ships. I downloaded an stl file of the original enterprise in 4 parts and I don't mind glueing it together

A friend on the shio had the Prusa Mk2s and can't recommend it enough. But he is full of shit sometimes so that's why I need the opinion of you lot

Want to stay away from Chinese stuff. Had my fill of Chinese products from amazon reviewing and most of it is cheap tat with limited support. Prusa research seems to get good reviews based on its customer support

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Like I say I think the MK2s is a great piece of kit, I just feel it's way overpriced. You can get comparable print quality with a bigger volume on much cheaper tat than the prusa, it's all about how well you set it up. In fact I've seen some really shocking prints from a Prusa badly put together.

As for support I had a faulty stepper motor with my kit which was replaced no questions asked, and was sent expedited delivery so had it within a week. The motor itself wasn't faulty, just one of the threads wasn't tapped properly. I have since used the "faulty" stepper for my dual Z conversion.

I'm sure a man of your engineering skills already has a multimeter but if you haven't, buy one. Other recommended tools would be digital callipers and if you are putting together a kit, a set square.

Thanks to beerman

CallmeGoose (16th December 2017)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Was this the tornado you were talking about.... Looks pretty decent actually

https://tevo3dprinterstore.com/produ...er-3d-printing

I have digital callipers and a multimeter. Will need to get myself a smaller set square though...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah that's the one but don't buy it at that price Go on youtube and search for a review and you'll see just about every reviewer has an affiliate link which will price it cheaper.

I saw it here which was mighty tempting. You'll need to factor duty into the price and don't expect a timely delivery.

Thanks to beerman

CallmeGoose (17th December 2017)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you buy a printer then?

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

ive decided to hold out for the Prusa mk3, should be shipped around march/april...