Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Steep rises in Crypto.

Anyone like me will have been riding the ALT markets the last week.

Made some good gains in XVG (Verge), XRP (Ripple which I love to hate... backed by banks) & ADA (Cardano, which could be fucking huge long term if they deliver)

I reckon I have had 300% gains from XVG, similar from XRP, and a bit less from ADA.

I remember a member investing a chunk in XRP a few months back. Must be chuffed as fuck right now, from a few months back I reckon close to 1000% gain.

2018 will be crazy in this field. Don't leave it too late.

Seriously I first dabbled a year ago knowing fuck all and learned using ?20 investment. Sounds stupid but I knew fuck all and was determined to learn .
    That ?20 was ?120 very quickly, I remember.

Then I decided to put fiat in and now I hope to be doing this full time 2019.
    It would be sooner but due to none NHS medical bills I will see what happens. Bring it on :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Steep rises in Crypto.

What broker do you recommend that doesn't have a ?500/?1k minimum investment? Got around ?400 I'm happy to throw in and see any long term gains.

Been following a thread on AVF for SSX & SQZ granted not Crypto.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Broker? You just do it yourself by DYOR (social media, word of mouth, youtube to learn how to read charts etc). Then either buy your crypto from Coinbase or Localbitcoins, get it into an exchange (Bitrex, Binance, Kraken etc) and have a play with small amounts first.

Piggzy recommended a good FB group, Crypto Traders, although now they seem to be minimising the recommendations as they now have a private chat room and are setting up a fee based course and website.

I started spreading across alts and although i was making gains it was minimal, it seems the way to go is to go balls deep on a coin - a mate bought 13800 XRP at .20 which is now at $2. He's still hodling and hoping it reaches $5!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

What he said.

If you mean exchange instead of broker, you can use any amount you want minimum is about ?10.
    I now use Binance although they don't have all the coins I would like but have what most people would be interested in.

I agree @ivrytwr3 that the group is now going quiet on advice and going paid private, still a few good tips , good while it lasted hey ho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look at covesting.io. Personally missed the ICO so not actually got anything invested in them but can see the benefits of piggy-backing on the more educated/experienced bods.

Also seen a guy representing a company who want $3k a year to join their club and get trading calls. HUGE gains overall but I just can't see myself parting with that kind of money directly to someone, even though I've spent that much, and more on my own crypto journey.

More and more of my trades are on Binance. Great exchange but has had a few problems coping with the volumes of trades recently.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The number of exchanges is bugging me atm, there are various alts where you can see the scope for quick in and out gains but this one is only listed on X & Y, this is only on Z etc etc. Yes you can go through the registration hassle and transfer bitcoin over to trade but that takes time and costs fees

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have created a coinbase account but haven't bought anything yet

Can anyone explain the easiest way to buy efficiently?

Coinbase seems to charge 1.49% for buying, is that right?

How would you guys buy into BTC?

Thanks
    Karma Level

It depends on which you want to buy, I opened a bank account with Fidor then transferred euros from there to Kraken and bought BTC, XRP etc.

Kraken doesn't list a lot of alts though so you might need to sign up at others such as poloniex, binance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes as hoponbaby said kraken is one good option.

You could also use a bitcoin buying service like bitbargain.co.uk if you are using an exchange that doesnt let you buy fiat and then transfer it there. You lose about $10-15 flat amount doing it that way.
    TBH there is no "great" way to buy bitcoin without losing an unacceptable amount, just the way it is for now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I also went down the Fidor route, initially to buy thru' Kraken but the following method should minimise fees. There are easier ways than bank transfers but fees can be stupid for buying with debit cards etc.

Open a Fidor account
    From your UK bank -> transfer GBP to Fidor account
    Fidor International SEPA transfer in EUR to Coinbase at cost of ?2.49
    Open a GDAX.com account, who a linked/same as Coinbase.
    Once in GDAX, transfer EUR from Coinbase. This is free between CB and GDAX accounts.
    Once EUR arrives, buy your coin of choice using the appropriate trading pair.

If you want to get into trading for other coins then you will also need an exchange account that has much more available than GDAX/CB. I recommend Binance.com but there are others. If you do want to sign up, Please PM me and I'll sent over my referral link. Costs you nowt but I get a small bonus and then you can start referring others.

At the moment, I would recommend buying ETH or LTC as transfer times are faster with these 2 coins than BTC.

From GDAX accounts summary, withdraw your recently bought crypto to the exchange of choice. Transfers from GDAX are free. You need to have your exchange deposit address ready for this.

Once in your exchange account you can start trading. All exchanges take a % fee from the buys and sells and THEN ALSO WHEN YOU WITHDRAW BACK FROM THE EXCHANGE to CB/GDAX.
    Again, if you want to withdraw crypto back to ? there's charges there too.

At most, if not all levels, you will need to verify your identity as part of anti-money laundering legislation dictates.

Thanks to chizh

piggzy (4th January 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chizh View Post
    At most, if not all levels, you will need to verify your identity as part of anti-money laundering legislation dictates.
    Most exchanges need ID only at amounts above a certain level. eg No ID needed at binance but limited to only withdraw 2 BTC per day. (30k per day wtf)
    Some like Coinbase require ID fullstop.
    hitBTC no ID needed but have lost trust in them.

Binance are getting a lot better, at first very few coins imho but a new coin seems to appear every wee atm.

As chizh says trading fees on all exchanges. Find a margin trading exchange such as binance with fees between 0.05 - 0.1 %. You dont even notice fees that low tbh.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah. The beauty of Binance is that they have their own coin and if you have any then the trading fees are halved. Rather than a 0.1% cut of the trade itself its 0.05% paid with BNB so you get the full price when trading.
    Just wish I'd bough more of them when I started using the exchange. Only bought to fund the fees but that particular coin is now 4x what I paid back in Sept.
    Can be said for most coins at the moment though - can't keep up and can't stop playing the game.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

No real difference to each Xmas 'toy of the year' announcement. Create the need and fear takes over. Great marketing IMO.

Manipulation of price by whales/institutional money followed by FOMO created by the media. A very familiar situation in crypto-world.

Thanks to chizh

piggzy (10th January 2018)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is one of my main concerns with crypto, if the price can be dropped like this and there are no fundamentals to base value on other than perceived value therefore demand. We all know the institutions won't want to be out of control and with the money and power they have to sway public opinion by negative media I can see a lot of money being lost. Not had the time to research or been brave enough to make an investment, shame the FB group is going paid as I had joined with the intention of investing a small amount and seeing how it went.

Kodak announced a crypto of their own today and shares rocketed, can't help but feel a lot of this is a bubble with plenty of other companies having seen share price jumps by just changing their name or mission statement to include some buzz words! Really happy for those of you making money on these but please don't over leverage yourself, I may be completely wrong but I just can't see traditional markets allowing crypto alts to take their money quietly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Totally agree, Worldcoinindex currently show the crypto market cap as being 590 billion euros - and that's after the massive falls over last couple of weeks yet it's based on nothing, no regulation, nothing to back it up etc. Ok countries print their own currencies which could be worthless but at least there is in theory a bit more chance of it having a future value. People seem to have forgotten about the dot com boom where share prices were flying through the roof based on nothing but even they had a degree of regulation and weren't being pump & dumped quite so badly as crypto - todays high flier Vibe which has gone from e0.29 to e3.17!?! tomorrow it will be down by.......?

I'm only pissing about with a bit of play money and sold enough Ripple to cover my full investment so if the lot now turns to dust I'm not actually out of pocket apart from what I could have sold for. There is the scope to gamble some and just look at the daily trends, get in and out with a quick 50% gain for example. I've got more chance of picking a winner than my usual choice of 3 legged future burger at Cheltenham!!

Thanks to hoponbaby

evilsatan (10th January 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    ... todays high flier Vibe which has gone from e0.29 to e3.17!?! tomorrow it will be down by.......?
    ?100 in and ?1100 out? Not many other ways you can gain best part of a grand in a day, - IF you can time it right. And that's what many people are seeing - the gains - and most are blinkered by them and don't care about the losses. Lots of copy-trading in order to make a fast buck.
    There's going to be some really bad press soon regarding people getting burned by shilled coins, FOMO and ultimately them not paying due diligence. Bitcoin / market will also go up soon and the media cycle will turn again and again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If anybody is wondering what is going on with the sudden drops this week well here is your answer.

South Korea is moving to ban Crypto Trading through the courts and Tax Authorities have been raiding Crypto exchanges the last few days obtaining everybody's details. This has caused a major sell off over people panicking in South Korea and elsewhere because of wondering what the F is going on with the prices.

It is believed SK stand for upto 20% of the Market. News seems to say it should be a short term things as worse case scenario the will close the exchanges in SK but the SK citizens will just move to use overseas exchanges etc
    As a result Coinbase already removed SK info from their site .

HODL
    The coins I am watching are already recovering tbh.
    Just a blip imho and wont be the last.

It all adds to the fun pmsl :-)

Thanks to piggzy

chizh (11th January 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

... and also for those who use coinmarketcap as a reference, I saw somewhere that they had removed - without major announcement - the Korean market values when averaging the coin prices in their lists. It would appear that SK are/were paying a premium for coins. In some cases double-digit % more than other exchanges. Once SK values were taken off the average, the whole market looked like it dropped like a stone when in fact it really only took out the inflated valuation.

Thanks to chizh

piggzy (11th January 2018)