Close

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Time To Build A Second Server

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my my main computer and my old NAS box. It isn't powerful enough to run the new UnRAID.

My old NAS runs on an Intel Atom, which I might re-purpose for a pfsense box or an off site backup.

Anyway, back on topic!

Currently my main, daily driver is:

Monitors: 2x LG IPS231

Case: Define R3CPU: Intel i7 3820
    Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D)
    CPU: Intel Intel i7 3820
    RAM: 16GB DDR 3
    GFX: Geforce GTX 570

HDD: I have multiple SSD (One in the machine and three in my filing cabinet). I have 12-13 3.5" drives doing nothing, plus the one in my machine. - I will be transferring any data off them to my file server so I can dban/destroy them after the build is complete.
    PSU: Can't remember
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D15
    UPS: APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900

The idea/aim:

Is to build an 'all in one' rig to act as a second UnRAID server and as a daily driver. Reducing the amount of hardware I have lying around and my power bill

I am hoping to reduce my chassis size, but have room for a few 3.5" drives. I

have been looking at SFF cases that can hold a ATX/mATX motherboard, such as the Fractal Design Node 804 and the Silverstone CS80. Although I've seen others have had problems and I'm not convinced that I I need the CD/DVD drive built in anymore as I have an external drive as a backup.

Currently, I think my uses are:
    Business (web/coding/graphical editing) Work - Nothing that I can't do on my laptop if I had too.

General IT use:
    - Document Processing
    - Internet and Streaming Video
    - Streaming - Receiving Plex, Youtube, Prime etc.

Gaming: Currently I play C&C and Cities Skylines. But, I want to play some decent games now, such as Far Cry.
    VR: I'd like to try it, if possible? - One arm.

What is my budget?

I honestly don't know? ?1,000 excluding the monitor?
    - I will purchase items at best available prices over the next two months and I will re-purpose what I can in the meantime. The monitor is not the priority at the moment, but I would still like suggestions.

Last edited by Rick Sanchez; 5th January 2018 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Time To Build A Second Server

Reserved for purchase updates

Monitor:

Case:
    M/B:
    RAM:
    GFX:

HDD:
    Last edited by Rick Sanchez; 5th January 2018 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just had a quick skim through before I head out for Friday night drinks....

My initial/first thought is whether it is a good idea to use your main desktop as your unraid server as well?

Desktops in daily usage require reboots every so often and can be brought down by us doing daft things.

The general idea of a server is that machine should never go down unless you are performing software maintenance or it has had a catastrophic hardware failure.

I don't know how you have setup your network but iirc you are a web host which make me wonder if your client's sites are stored on your server. If you can't afford your server to go down when you reboot your desktop, don't think about trying to combine the two.

Side note : pfSense is king of (affordable) routers. I planned to start putting together a basic how to and various guides on here just before I had my stroke a couple of years ago. I would highly recommend pfSense, and as much as I haven't used the latest releases in depth, I'm more than happy to offer a hand if I can be useful

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    My initial/first thought is whether it is a good idea to use your main desktop as your unraid server as well?

Windows 10 will be in VM.

Desktops in daily usage require reboots every so often and can be brought down by us doing daft things.

See above.

The general idea of a server is that machine should never go down unless you are performing software maintenance or it has had a catastrophic hardware failure.

It's only a home computer. I have a laptop for pure business use, but I do prefer editing on there as it is easier.

I don't know how you have setup your network but iirc you are a web host which make me wonder if your client's sites are stored on your server. If you can't afford your server to go down when you reboot your desktop, don't think about trying to combine the two.

Lol, defiantly not! the company hosts all of the websites in London Docklands, UK. That is where are servers are based, although we have servers in other countries too. Lots of companies who host with the business have mission critical data - that must be available 24/7 at high speed. That requires multiple tiers of fibre. I've been trying to build a datacentre in the Southwest for years but planning is an absolute nightmare.

It's not worth the risk of hosting websites at home (who even does that anymore?), web companies supply hosting from ?30-40/yr, some chuck in a 'free' domain name as well. The risk of major downtime is huge with home hosting, especially with all of the fair use policies, traffic management, internet/power failure etc etc. - Add in the risk of getting sued for multiple security risks inc data protection etc. Any company doing that would void their companies insurance as well... As they are unlikely to disclose that info.

- You seem to have unresolved issues surrounded this area, have you been stung before?

Side note : pfSense is king of (affordable) routers. I planned to start putting together a basic how to and various guides on here just before I had my stroke a couple of years ago. I would highly recommend pfSense, and as much as I haven't used the latest releases in depth, I'm more than happy to offer a hand if I can be useful

Sweet. I may call you up on that.
    Last edited by Rick Sanchez; 6th January 2018 at 05:37 AM.