Open Source Alternative to Google Home / Amazon Alexa etc

Thread: Open Source Alternative to Google Home / Amazon Alexa etc

piggzy said:

Default Open Source Alternative to Google Home / Amazon Alexa etc

Been having a nosey at alternatives to Google Home, Amazon Alexa etc as the wife and kids are kind of bugging me about getting one.
    Read up on Beermans Google home thread.

Came across this open source alternative called [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] which can apparently run on pretty much any hardware , eg Raspberry, PC, Car etc
    Not looked into very much myself yet but like the idea as I am a paranoid chap at best and dont like the idea of Google, Amazon harvesting my every word.

Figured some of you tech savvy lot might be interested. Trying to figure out a way it will satisfy my inner Nerd which must constantly make pointless shit I dont need by actually making something useful lol, maybe even the kids and wife will approve.

EvilBoB said:

Default Re: Open Source Alternative to Google Home / Amazon Alexa etc

Here's another. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - It uses Amazon's Alexa service though so don't mention the war
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

flipper321 said:

Hardware has already been the issue for me on this. Making something that looks good with a decent microphone array soon costs more than the off the shelf options

Rick Sanchez said:

Mine arrives this month or next. I'll let you know what's what when it arrives and if it can operate with no internet access.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]- 25% Disccount Available For DF Members. VIP's Receive 30% Off; PM for info - Authorised by Admin

evilsatan said:

Would be interested about this as the way things are at the moment it seems to be convenience at the expense of privacy with a lot of these devices, I have a couple of echos.

piggzy said:

Keep us informed. Got a Google Home after trying the Alexa for a month and being disappointed. The Google home is better in my humble opinion but I still want to open it up and tinker software wise so to speak.

Rick Sanchez said:

I bought three for some reason.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]- 25% Disccount Available For DF Members. VIP's Receive 30% Off; PM for info - Authorised by Admin