Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Broadband Cabling question

Firstly thank you for taking the time to read this
    Secondly, complete newbie and novice so apologies for any incorrect terminology or explanations
    So, I have an issue with my broadband cabling, specifically an extension lead to my shed. I think the issue is config related but would appreciate opinions and suggestions on how to fix.
    Here is, hopefully, an overview of the problem:
    - phone line is running into my house. Master socket and Sky broadband router all located in same room
    - from the router I have a standard Cat5 cable running to a inline coupler which connects to a 2 pair extension cable which runs to my shed / office at the top of my garden (this cable has been in place for over 2 years and I know it used to work but I now have a different setup hence the rework required)
    - the four pairs are in the coupler as normal
    - to allow for broadband (and having taken previous advice) the 2 pair is connected as follows (blue / blue white in 6/3 and orange / orange white in 2/1). I realise 6/3 is normally for the green pair but I was advised to use green for the data (??). I should add that originally I connected the blue pair to 4/5 as normal but this also didn’t work
    - at the shed end I have a cat5 outlet and the two pairs are matched as in the house coupler
    - I have connected a tester and have the right pairing showing (3/6 and 1/2 flashing)
    - however when I connect my laptop I get no connectivity at all. I’ve tried a Pc and A Mac just in case

Everything seems ok from a cabling perspective. Is there any config required? Does anyone know if the Sky router is configured for gigabit connectivity and I have to change settings for 10/100?

Any help appreciated and again apologies for any incorrect terminology or Mickey Mouse explanations. Tried to keep it as simple as possible

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Broadband Cabling question

Hi Jeff welcome to DF,

A post in the introduction area would of been better before asking questions.

regarding your setup, what is the 2 pair extension cable ?, cat5 or cat5e and what length ?

also what os is your laptop running xp, win7 , win10 ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Welcome to Digital Forums.

As said above, leeching on your first post indicates you have not read your welcome message.

Please feel free to contribute to discussions and debates.
    Digging up old threads and the one word posts/replies to threads gets you marked as a post booster; this is not the best way to get you going on DF.
    With time your post count will go up and you will have full use of the forum. This has been put in place to stop Spammers, Leechers and posters that want something for nothing.

Digital forums has been going for years and has a large fan base. Some actually pay for the privilege and they get bonuses over non sub people.
    With time you will build up friends and likewise you will be seen here as someone that can contribute to the DF Community.

Please read your welcome message.

Enjoy your stay

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Welcome to Digital Forums.

As said above, leeching on your first post indicates you have not read your welcome message.

Please feel free to contribute to discussions and debates.
    Digging up old threads and the one word posts/replies to threads gets you marked as a post booster; this is not the best way to get you going on DF.
    With time your post count will go up and you will have full use of the forum. This has been put in place to stop Spammers, Leechers and posters that want something for nothing.

Digital forums has been going for years and has a large fan base. Some actually pay for the privilege and they get bonuses over non sub people.
    With time you will build up friends and likewise you will be seen here as someone that can contribute to the DF Community.

Please read your welcome message.

Enjoy your stay
    Will do and apologies. As I said, I’m new to this forum so not really appreciated the gist of how it works
    I’m at work currently but will have a read this evening
    Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    Hi Jeff welcome to DF,

A post in the introduction area would of been better before asking questions.

regarding your setup, what is the 2 pair extension cable ?, cat5 or cat5e and what length ?

also what os is your laptop running xp, win7 , win10 ?
    Understood. I’ve obviously not grasped how this works and should have taken the time to read the welcome message before posting.

As far as I know the 2 pair is Cat 5e (but will double check this evening)

The laptop is running Windows 7. Mac is Ios11

Thanks

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I only had time to glance over the post but here are some thoughts. I use T568B wiring myself so adjust to suit if you use T568A.
    Spoiler:

According to this diagram, pins 4, 5, 7, 8 should not be used (assuming you don't use PoE) so you could need an ethernet cable terminated to T568B standard one end, this connects to the router. The other end would go to the coupler and pins 1, 2, 3, 6 should be connected to the 2-pair cable.

The other end of the two pair should connect to the other coupler in such a way that the ethernet cable at the other end has pins 1, 2, 3, 6 connected to the same colours as in your house so you have a straight through cable.

I think you have done all of this already and if you have ran an ethernet cable tester on the ethernet that connects to the router and to your laptop/PC and it the LEDs light up in the correct order at both ends then you should have it wired up fine. I wasn't sure what you meant by the pairs flashing, with the testers I have used the sender sends signal down the line 1-8 in order so at the other end you should see the sequence 1, 2, 3, 4 will be off, 5 will be off, 6, 7 will be off, 8 will be off. If they flash in a different sequence then you won't have a straight through cable so this may be the problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cat5 cable is always 4 pairs 8 wires, the two pair cable is probably cat3 (or better know as telephone cable ) (10/100 base t uses 4 wires) (gigabit uses all 8 wires)

the only solution is to replace the cable to your shed using cat5/6 external grade cable.

yes data will work over telephone cable over short distances though high throughput can cause issues, its not recommended

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember working a short period for a small IT repair/support outfit.

Had many big arguments with the boss as their office network seemed very unreliable. He insisted it was all cat6 done properly by himself.

One day I brought in some decent switches with cable testing facilities and found everything was only wired up using 2 pairs.

Another quiet day I searched the whole shop and couldn't find any drums of cat 5/6. However I did find 2 rolls of BT 2 pair cable.

That led to another argument that was end of me working at that shit hole.

Anyway back to answer question more directly, my suggestion is to look into running four pair cat5e/cat6.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I remember correctly CAT data cable consists of 4 twisted pairs, shielded in different ways depending on spec. 2 pairs for TX/RX and 2 redundant pairs. Using CAT3 telephone cable should work but you will get errors the longer the distance. If your getting nothing then you have a reversal or a dis. What tester are you using?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I assume you have power going to the shed so why not use power/data plugs ?

Thanks to consoles

muttleymacclad (12th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

im not sure this would be any better than running data over telephone cable :-)

Thanks to Copex

BertRoot (13th February 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

doesn't a gigabit connection need all 4 twisted pairs to operate at full speed, I know if you use a doubler to split the line to 2 outlets ( 2 pairs each) it reverts back to 10/100m

Using a WiFi power plug in my shed which is 30+ metres from the house and all works fine.