Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default New TV purchase, recommendations please

Looking to buy a TV for my bedroom it will be mainly for PS4, XBone games, plus general TV watching, needs to be between 40" and 50" 4K, smart etc, maximum i really want to spend is £500, though this is flexible.

I've always liked Samsung, but i am open to different ones, are there any makes i should be avoiding?

I have a voucher for Curry's so will be buying from them, is their breakdown cover worth it?

Thanks for looking.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New TV purchase, recommendations please

I used to always go Samsung but have now moved to LG. I think they are well worth the money. Plenty of options in that price range too.

A nice example here.

Thanks to piggzy

ilscuro (23rd March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    I used to always go Samsung but have now moved to LG.
    I've been looking at getting a new TV myself and after always going for Samsung I think I have made my mind up to give LG a shot.

This is what I'm looking at: https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...-49uj670v.html

Its the 6 year guarantee that is teasing me with Richer Sounds.

Thanks to DJAd

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, the 6 year guarantee Richer sounds offer is quite tempting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That extra £50 for 6 year warranty is pretty good .. £10 per year for the extra 5 years.
    Personally never had an issue with an LCD tv but you can bet the first time you do will be when you don't take the extra few years cover you could have.

Thanks to piggzy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Personally never had an issue with an LCD tv but you can bet the first time you do will be when you don't take the extra few years cover you could have.
    I had a Toshiba before and 4 months out of warranty the screen suddenly stopped working but you could still hear the sound. Took it to a local guy and cost £90.

There are some cheaper options on that Richer Sounds site also guys. Ive been looking at loads recently.

2 Thanks given to DJAd

ilscuro (23rd March 2018),  piggzy (23rd March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    I had a Toshiba before and 4 months out of warranty the screen suddenly stopped working but you could still hear the sound. Took it to a local guy and cost £90.

There are some cheaper options on that Richer Sounds site also guys. Ive been looking at loads recently.
    My best warranty experience ever was with Toshiba. 3 months out of warranty and TV got display issues. This was before LCD, it was a massive fuck off 36" DEEEEEEP TV that cost me £1200.
    Phoned Toshiba and spoke to a manager and said I understand it is out of warranty but it is only by 3 months and do you think it is fair that a TV costing £1200 should last 15 months.
    He said "absolutely not, I will have it repaired at our expense." I was shocked and have often favored Toshiba products since. Just not a fan of the TV's anymore. He sent a company round to collect it, leave a loan TV and return it 3 months later as they had to have the part sent from Japan. Long story short, it is sometimes worth a moan at the manufacturer even out of warranty.

Thanks to piggzy

DJAd (23rd March 2018)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I got a couple of new TVs late last year, one for the lounge so had a bigger budget and got the LG OLED55C7 which is amazing and for the bedroom had a budget in mind like yours so got a Hisense H50N6800 as it won best budget TV of the year last year. I like the Hisense, it has a Plex app, when I put on HDR content such as the iPlayer planet earth demo it looks really good but it does have some uniformality issues (as do all LCDs) so if on a plain black screen some parts look brighter than others.

I saw it on HUKD yesterday (below) but just tried the code and it doesn't seem to work but might for you:
    Code:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hisense-h50n6800-4k-smart-tv-44910-55n6800-for-58410-hisense-h65n6800-for-76410-with-code-at-co-op-electrical-with-code-2912891
    I hate buying new kit like TVs as I research like crazy and waste so much time, I did most of my research on AV Forums and cross-referenced elsewhere. I had John Lewis price match the Hisense TV so I got their 5 year warranty which is supposed to be excellent.

2 Thanks given to evilsatan

ilscuro (23rd March 2018),  piggzy (23rd March 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I got a couple of new TVs late last year, one for the lounge so had a bigger budget and got the LG OLED55C7 which is amazing and for the bedroom had a budget in mind like yours so got a Hisense H50N6800 as it won best budget TV of the year last year. I like the Hisense, it has a Plex app, when I put on HDR content such as the iPlayer planet earth demo it looks really good but it does have some uniformality issues (as do all LCDs) so if on a plain black screen some parts look brighter than others.

I saw it on HUKD yesterday (below) but just tried the code and it doesn't seem to work but might for you:
    Code:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hisense-h50n6800-4k-smart-tv-44910-55n6800-for-58410-hisense-h65n6800-for-76410-with-code-at-co-op-electrical-with-code-2912891
    I hate buying new kit like TVs as I research like crazy and waste so much time, I did most of my research on AV Forums and cross-referenced elsewhere. I had John Lewis price match the Hisense TV so I got their 5 year warranty which is supposed to be excellent.
    That looks like a nice TV, and at £449 i would probably have bitten, but sadly the discount code doesn't work.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Aren't LG TV's are the poor mans Panasonics?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Not any more, LG are the leaders in OLED. When I bought my last tv (must have been 6-7 years ago) the LGs looked shocking in the shops and I bought a THX-certified Panasonic plasma which has been a trooper and is still going strong.

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

We got a Panasonic and it's got a LG screen in it

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks to ss30

DJAd (23rd March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Many of the big names now use LG or Samsung panels and stick there badge on it. Panasonic as mentioned above use LG panels now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Every LG I have owned or used has had issues, i would never buy one. Yes they make most screens, all oled screens in fact but it's not just the screen that matters. It's the processing, the user interface and the build quality. I have two toshibas at the moment and will never get another one of them again either. Best tvs I have owned or used have been Sony or Panasonics, both of which can be bought within your budget.
    I would head over to avforums as there's plenty of threads there of people buying at around your budget.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Soulassassin View Post
    Every LG I have owned or used has had issues, i would never buy one. Yes they make most screens, all oled screens in fact but it's not just the screen that matters. It's the processing, the user interface and the build quality. I have two toshibas at the moment and will never get another one of them again either. Best tvs I have owned or used have been Sony or Panasonics, both of which can be bought within your budget.
    I would head over to avforums as there's plenty of threads there of people buying at around your budget.
    Thanks i did ask on AV forums but the consensus was that unless you're paying £1000 plus then it won't be any good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

We bought a Samsung 55” 4K uhd from AO on offer and the wife found some discount code so we ended up paying around £550.

picture is fantastic and it has plex which is a bonus.
    Not many apps available for tizen TVs but Imho well worth the money.
    glad I didn’t spend the extra £400 from the tv budget now.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the input everyone, i've decided to go for this LG 49 inch model, main reason it gets some great reviews online and it comes with a free 6 year warranty at Richer sounds, plus i've had an LG's in the past and they have always been fine...

Thanks to ilscuro

piggzy (23rd March 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good choice. imho the cheapo electronics behind the otherwise fantastic screens from LG changed about 6 years ago. Since then I have found the OS, capabilities and visuals better than the likes of Panasonic.

Just my opinion.

Also why are Panasonic wasting there time with that shit QLED tech. What a load of crap trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of standard albeit cheaper LCD panels.. Just get on with OLED already.
    In stores I couldnt even tell the difference between Standard LED LCD panel and QLED, then again did they set it up properly?

Thanks to piggzy

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Should have been £459 i used a random voucher link i found, think it was on Groupon, and it came down to £419

Thanks to ilscuro

piggzy (24th March 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    Although my Panasonic had a great picture the smarttv bit sucked in comparison to Samsung and LG. The previous posters story about Toshiba aftersales was impressive but Toshiba no longer make TVs and Toshiba tvs are just rebadged Vestels, as are Finlux, Goodmans, Alba and many other cheap shonky TVs, I even read somewhere that budget Samsungs now made by the Turkish Vestel.
    I currently have mostly LG, with the exception of a 32" Sony (pre android so not great) and a curved 50" Samsung in my TV mad house. i am currently viewing this on my 34" ultrawide LG monitor :-)
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast