black screen help

Thread: black screen help

russell said:

Default black screen help

Please help
    My laptop windows home premium was running slow after windows update so i ran system restore.
    now after about 2 mins will boot to a black screen with only my curser
    ctl alt del gets me to task manager with no applications running.
    i have tried running new task "explorer.exe" and going to regedit folder winlogon ,shell, value data, "explorer.exe" still no boot.
    i have taken drive from laptop and with usb adaptor lead plugged into desktop all my stuff is there .
    i don't want to reinstall windows as a few of my programs are licenced .
    Is there a boot folder/file i can copy from this desktop to my laptop drive ?or any other ideas
    Thanks
    Russell

piggzy said:

Default Re: black screen help

Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    Please help
    My laptop windows home premium was running slow after windows update so i ran system restore.
    now after about 2 mins will boot to a black screen with only my curser
    ctl alt del gets me to task manager with no applications running.
    i have tried running new task "explorer.exe" and going to regedit folder winlogon ,shell, value data, "explorer.exe" still no boot.
    i have taken drive from laptop and with usb adaptor lead plugged into desktop all my stuff is there .
    i don't want to reinstall windows as a few of my programs are licenced .
    Is there a boot folder/file i can copy from this desktop to my laptop drive ?or any other ideas
    Thanks
    Russell
    Fixed a friends PC a while back similar to this. I downloaded a Windows 7 Startup Repair from The Pirate Bay and burnt a CD. Worth a try.

Sent from my M3 using Tapatalk

evilsatan said:

I think you can boot to windows install media and select "Repair this computer" which is at the bottom of one of the first two screens. Other than that you can try running CMD as admin and run "sfc /scannow" to start system file checker.

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I think you can boot to windows install media and select "Repair this computer" which is at the bottom of one of the first two screens. Other than that you can try running CMD as admin and run "sfc /scannow" to start system file checker.
    Absolutely right but in my experience I honestly cannot remember this option ever working... Maybe I was unlucky ?!?

russell said:

looking for Windows 7 Startup Repair atm
    I have tried both of those evilsatan also added f/r to sfc /scannow
    Thanks
    Russell