Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: High Blood Pressure

Another boring post in what will be for most a boring thread :-)

Any hoo. Back at the docs today with another appt with the nurse.
    Still on the full Amlodapine but been getting probs with Losartan and they doubled my dose about a week ago.
    Last 5 days I have been getting 2 hours sleep max per night which the finger has been pointed at Losartan.

So they binned that off and I now have a new pill I never heard off called : Doxazosin
    Try saying that after a few jars.

Lets see what wonderful side effects this new delight brings.

Getting hard to keep positive now.

4 Thanks given to piggzy

Bald Bouncer (19th July 2018),  JonEp (20th July 2018),  Over Carl (19th July 2018),  prezzy (21st July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Haven't read all replies so apologies if already been mentioned. My 85yo dad had high bp last year....he takes a few meds so we wanted to try and get it down without prescription meds. Anyway I got him drinking a bottle of pure beetroot juice every day. My misses cooks for him too so he was secretly put on a high potassium diet (potatoes tomatoes and sweet potato.....plus other potassium rich foods/fruit/fish.
    Long story cut short he WAS getting a bit high for docs liking...it is now back to "good" levels and he is not on nor needs any prescription meds to assist.

4 Thanks given to DavidF

JonEp (20th July 2018),  Northernbloke (9th September 2018),  Over Carl (19th July 2018),  piggzy (20th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

When I first read piggzy's post it made think about my own own BP.

I'm sure like many people, I had a blood pressure monitor hidden in a draw, bought on impulse many moons ago and so I went and dug it out.

The best of three readings that day (always hoping for a lower score) was 152/104, I was like WTF.

Next stop was to dig out the scales only to find I was 16.5 stone. Best of three made no feckin difference to that score.

So, for the first time in my life I thought I'll stop alcohol completely, as someone who can count on two hands the days without any alcohol in the last forty years this was assumed by family to be mission impossible but I knew differently, I enjoy a beer as much as I enjoy a pint of fizzy water with ice. I would also stick to a relatively for me low Kcal intake 600Kcal - 800Kcal a day though I recognised no alcohol was the key to this being successful.

No fancy diet, just two dry wholemeal toast, chopped tomatoes and 2 poached eggs for breakfast and a variation of home made curries with wholemeal rice or steak boiled potatoes and veg and lots of fruit in between. Priory to this I would snack on junk food in the car, hit fast food chains when every I drove past feeling hungry.

I don't do the gym but am moderately active as we have dogs that need long daily walks.

I also went off to the quacks as they run a health check screening service to people over 40 so I' had bloods and an ECG is booked next week. I can return in December and have the blood rerun especially LFT and see the difference a more healthy diet makes which is another motivation to keep going until then.

After just ten days of doing this my BP is down to 115/84 and the scales now read 15.4 stone so I tip my hat to piggzy and his first post for making me think!
    Last edited by JonEp; 8th September 2018 at 04:06 PM.

3 Thanks given to JonEp

Northernbloke (9th September 2018),  piggzy (8th September 2018),  Teajunkie (8th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done to you. I changed eating too a fair bit. Still should do more to be honest.

At last check mine was 160/100.... will sound high but for me that is really good. So getting there slowly.

My typical brekkie which has become my favorite is 2 slices of wholemeal toast with sliced well ripened Avacado and a poached egg. If I cant be arsed it is proper porridge made from organic oats none of that instant shite (which is really bad for you actually).

Thanks to piggzy

JonEp (9th September 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm on 10mg Ramipril and 5mg Amlodipine. I'm not particularly overweight, but when I found out about my high bp years ago, I did a bit of a lifestyle change, exercise, no alcohol, never smoked so that wasnt an option, and a healthy diet.....and it made not one jot of a difference.
    The tablets don't really cause me too many side effects, certainly the Ramipril on its own didnt, but I do suffer from Insomnia now.
    However what does piss me off is having to pay extra for travel insurance. Bizarre as now I am medicated, I am a lot less of a risk than I was before I even knew I had Hypertension, but yet I get hit in the pocket....and particularly so as I am on 2 tablets. I read recently that there is now a combi 2 medicine tablet available, which I am going to see if I can get on, then I can legitimately answer the insurance question as being on "1 tablet", and hopefully play less every year.

Thanks to tronads

piggzy (17th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah the docs told me despite what you think healthy lifestyle typically makes fuck all difference as 90% of the time that isnt the cause of the high BP.

Was the insurance really bad then ??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone else on Amlopipine that has started suffering with swolen ankles ???
    Never had an issue with that my entire life. Always normal legs and ankles with zero weight on em.
    Few months after taking it I started swelling up and the Docs said oh yeah Amlodipine. Completely normal happens to most people. Fucks sake.
    I am on the full 10mg if that makes a diff.. prolly does cos when I was on 5mg it didnt happen :-( Dont like it at all.

Now on 25mg Atenolol + 25mg Indapamide in the morning and take the 10mg Amlodipine at night.
    Went a few days ago and was told I am now at the high end of normal so wait to see Cardiology to see if they want to add another pill etc....
    160/95 seems higher than the high end of normal to me. Then again its better than my 238/138 reading I once had

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Anyone else on Amlopipine that has started suffering with swolen ankles ???
    Yes I had it for a while when I first went to 10mg but went after a few weeks and has not returned

Thanks to Bald Bouncer

piggzy (18th September 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Was the insurance really bad then ??
    Its typically about 50% dearer. You can get an annual family policy for about £90 for worldwide, but declaring my Hypertension bumps it up to around £150.
    You get asked how many tabs you are on, if you are also being treated for chlosterol (Im not), and if you have had any change to your medication in the last 6 months.. Oh and also if you have ever been a smoker (again I haven't).

Thanks to tronads

piggzy (19th September 2018)  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123