New Coffee gadget . Possible Aeropress beater :-)

Thread: New Coffee gadget . Possible Aeropress beater :-)

piggzy said:

Default New Coffee gadget . Possible Aeropress beater :-)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

See for yourselves. I feel a purchase coming on.

dpSparhawk said:

Default Re: New Coffee gadget . Possible Aeropress beater :-)

hmm I dunno, it appears to do the same thing as an aeropress but looks fancier and with more parts to wash. Plus the resulting coffee that came out was far too weak in the demo

Would look great in the kitchen as opposed to an aeropress which looks like something from the 70's lol but I think I'll stick with my AP

dibbler said:

Ive got one. The coffee is on par with the aeropress. It doesn't take much to clean it.
    Its not the best at keeping coffee warm. I sometimes use it as a cup but other times transfer to an insulated mug.

piggzy said:

Will keep my wallet shut then

Do you get any crema with it.... I do miss that with the aero

dpSparhawk said:

I can get crema with a decent coffee through the aero. Illy's works for me in that respect

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    I can get crema with a decent coffee through the aero. Illy's works for me in that respect
    Sometimes use illy and always get quality single origin stuff from a proper coffee shop and never achieved crema :-(

You using Beans or ready ground. I use ready ground.

Cheers

WRATH OF BOD said:

i think i will stick with my Aeropress & My Aldi Milk Frother(my best kitchen gadget)

dpSparhawk said:

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Sometimes use illy and always get quality single origin stuff from a proper coffee shop and never achieved crema :-(

You using Beans or ready ground. I use ready ground.

Cheers

Ready Ground as I use it in work (use my Gaggia at home). I think largely it depends on water temperature and how long you keep the coffee in the press. We have these water machines in work that provide water at a really good temperature for coffee so that goes straight into the AP. I don't use the inverted method but as soon as I've put the water in, I vacuum seal it with the plunger so no coffee drips through. Leave it in for a minute or so and then slowly plunge. I don't get crema every single time but I'd say a good 70/30 in favour.

I did get a giggle from one of the female managers when I loudly announced one day that I needed a new rubber for my plunger!

I Black Belt said:

Milk frothers? - pffffttt.

Jam jar
    Add milk
    Add lid
    Shake it like you mean it
    Remove lid
    Nuke for 30 seconds
    Warm milk, loads of froth

dibbler said:

Jam jar pfffftttt.

Not had milk in my coffee for nearly 40 years.

piggzy said:

I go through stages with coffee.
    Sometimes black, sometimes a splash of milk sometimes a latte.
    I get bored having the same old thing again and again and like to switch it up.
    Although currently off coffee whilst my BP gets under control, I was enjoying Flat Whites of late.

Also tried the unsalted butter bullet coffee's
    In summer I love a shot of my fave coffee with snow made from frozen milk or water using the wife's ninja snow maker.
    When time permits I do this quickly then sit on the beach with the iced coffee and the dog.... bliss

piggzy said:

Any new coffee gadgets come along recently. My Aeropress is now showing sign of dying. I just think the rubber seals etc have worn out with use so its started occasionally leaking back past the plunger or filter sometimes moving and letting the grinds through . Still lasted me ages though.

Must be something a bit less fugly than the press by now ;-)

dpSparhawk said:

Watch the video below and have a look at the comments. Seems it's just a fancy Aeropress that is awkward to clean and it's very large.

I think personally, I'd just stick with my Aeropress. Once I've made a coffee, I rather like taking the filter cap off the end and pushing the coffee puck out . Then I can wipe it down with a bit of kitchen roll and it's good to go again. With the oomph, I'd have to get up and walk to the office kitchen, rinse it all out and then come back. With the Aeropress, it really does just need a wipe down and then a proper clean at the end of the shift.

Ps. anyone who needs to use the funnel that comes with an Aeropress to put the coffee in the tube is a nob lol.

Also, a replacement rubber seal for the Aeropress is just over a fiver

Last edited by dpSparhawk; 18th October 2018 at 01:31 AM.

piggzy said:

Actually if you look at more reviews there is now a v2 of the Oomph which addresses the issues you raise. The review I watched last night from some hardcore coffee fan boys website showed it was no more difficult to clean than the Aeropress and it showed a few other niggles improved from the first design, I forget what tbh. Gonna watch a load more reviews later and see what other options are about.

It wouldn't be a matter of the just the rubber seals, the actual main body had worn too where the filter goes and there are no rubber seals on that bit. It literally just pissed coffee grinds into my drinks 10 minutes ago.

dpSparhawk said:

Haha, it's worse when you do something wrong and it spurts coffee and grinds out of the top . That was user error though I think my seal is on the way out so I may consider using up the filters I have and give the oomph v2 a go. Alternatively get an Oomph and bring the aeropress home for the occasional use here when I can't be arsed to fire p the Gaggia.

I must admit, I am certainly intrigued by the oomph, apart from the fact it does look more aesthetically pleasing than the Aeropress It'd be interesting to see how good it actually is.
    Last edited by dpSparhawk; 18th October 2018 at 03:55 PM.

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by dpSparhawk View Post
    Haha, it's worse when you do something wrong and it spurts coffee and grinds out of the top . That was user error though I think my seal is on the way out so I may consider using up the filters I have and give the oomph v2 a go. Alternatively get an Oomph and bring the aeropress home for the occasional use here when I can't be arsed to fire p the Gaggia.

I must admit, I am certainly intrigued by the oomph, apart from the fact it does look more aesthetically pleasing than the Aeropress It'd be interesting to see how good it actually is.
    From what I have read it is not marketed as a Version 2 so everyone seems to be saying buy direct of their website (still only 29.99) because if you get off ebay
    there is no way of knowing what you get. The other feature I like is the rebrew and you can chuck it in the car as it is and drink straight from it. Tempted but still trying to see if there are any other options .... doesnt seem like there is tbh. I saw a mini hand pump nespresso style device but not sure about them things. I would like something that builds up pressure to be honest as I miss the amount of Crema I used to get in the full blown machine I used to have. Aeropress only gives a very small amount no matter what grinds I use ..

Edit: Do you think the source water makes much difference in these things. Our tap water is the worst I've ever tasted and I've lived all over the place. Really hard and strong chlorine. :-(

dpSparhawk said:

Yeah I rarely buy anything off Ebay. I'd likely buy direct from Oomph. I'll never buy anything that uses pods because I much prefer the control over how I grind my coffee and how much to use, plus I've rarely had a nespreso type coffee that tastes good to me, plus of course if ever the format of the pods is changed, the device is made redundant.

Re. Water source. Not sure to be fair. I've found L'or Intense strength 8 gives a bit of a crema from the Aeropress.

Ya know, I think I'll take the plunge (no pun intended) and order an Oomph in a few days or so.

maltloaf said:

do you know what, I loved my aeropress but it's been unused since I got my nespresso.

To top it off I love aldi capsules. the espresso ones (red) and the colombian ones (purple) and even mix them up, into a travel mug. 40% coffee, 40% hot water, 20% milk. Absolutely love it.

I know I'm on to a winner with mine because I used to love coffee shop coffee and now it tastes rough and unrefined.

I only use my aeropress when I go away and have to be away from my nespresso.

malty
    Facebook: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Garmin Connect: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Strava: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Surface Book i5
    Surface Go 8/128GB
    iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz Core i5 8GB
    MacBook Pro 2017
    iPhone X 256GB
    Razer Phone
    IPad Pro 9.7" WiFi 128GB
    iPad Air WiFi + Cellular 16GB

DJ Overdose said:

I bought some Pikey machine for 20....
    someone here put me on to it.

Still rocking that. Get there odd pod deal and I’m laughingx

Used to love the mokka pot solution. But the robot is so easy and it’s decent.

More than one, and the mokka pot(s) are out. Me and Doris, Pikey machine lol

DJ OD

Goldberg said:

Whats up with a Nespresso?

Had bean to cup, filter, stove top etc.. over the years.
    Stovetop gives the best result, providing you do not burn it, but lately we love the Nespresso.

It's good tasting coffee and minimum effort.
    We all make mistakes sometimes