Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Multiple TVs help

Hi All

At work we have purchased 8 TVs that can take HDMI or VGA cables.

We have 4 on each wall, so are looking to run them from two tower pcs, however i have purchased a hdmi splitter box but cannot seem to put different windows on each screen, it just displys the same window across al 4 screens.

What do i need to control each of the 4 screens from the same tower pc? as i want to show 4 different windows i.e. traffic cameras, our software application and cctv cameras etc...

any ideas will be very much appreciated

thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Multiple TVs help

You will need a port from your graphics card for each tv, or extra graphics cards. Then the windows settings for extending displays will let u set up different things for each tv.

There might be an old skool splitter thing that does it with a single output over several displays like a mosaic, but I don’t think that’s what you want.

***EDIT***

Maybe this:

DJ OD
    Last edited by DJ OD; 2nd June 2018 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks to DJ OD

Over Carl (2nd June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can probably get away with something cheap and cheerful like nVidia GT series to add extra ports.

Thanks to Over Carl

Nikki (4th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If I buy some extra graphic cards do they just slot into a normal pc tower ? How does it work ? Extended display screen will be fine just as long as I can drag different windows to different screens ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Aye yeah. Pretty sure just shove them in. So long as the motherboard and that in the tower pc can handle it and has sufficient sockets.

Not having done this, but I’m sure under the “display properties” you will see four monitors and can select duplicate, extend etc. Then u can drag a window to each display.

same as plugging a monitor or projector into a laptop.

DJ OD

Thanks to DJ OD

Nikki (4th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Something like DisplayFusion would do what you want too I think. You can divide a single TV/monitor up into several virtual ones.

Thanks to neilb

Nikki (4th June 2018)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It sounds like you just want to extend your desktop rather than have a single image split across them, also doesn't sound graphically intensive so as the combined advice so far has suggested you can put multiple cheap GPUs in the tower as long as the mobo supports it. Not many non-gaming mobos will take a lot of GPUs though, but cheap GPUs such as the Nvidia G210 support multi-display output so you can use more than one port at a time. If you can find stock anywhere then I have used loads of these before:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...i-dvi-i-dl-d-s

This is a newer card, passive single slot so will be silent and says it supports up to 3 concurrent displays, you may find you can use your mobo integrated port for a 4th but depends if that's disabled when a dedicated GPU is recognised at boot:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...-d-dl-d-subvga

Thanks to evilsatan

Nikki (4th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    It sounds like you just want to extend your desktop rather than have a single image split across them, also doesn't sound graphically intensive so as the combined advice so far has suggested you can put multiple cheap GPUs in the tower as long as the mobo supports it. Not many non-gaming mobos will take a lot of GPUs though, but cheap GPUs such as the Nvidia G210 support multi-display output so you can use more than one port at a time. If you can find stock anywhere then I have used loads of these before:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...i-dvi-i-dl-d-s

This is a newer card, passive single slot so will be silent and says it supports up to 3 concurrent displays, you may find you can use your mobo integrated port for a 4th but depends if that's disabled when a dedicated GPU is recognised at boot:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-...-d-dl-d-subvga
    am I best getting another tower unit to support this? as I not sure our current tower pcs will support this graphics card? ideally be good if I could just buy one tower pc and just connect them all up and away I go :-)

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you know the mobo, or if they are prebuilt units like Dell, then send over the models and I can take a look for you. Alternatively it doesn't sound like your system needs to be high spec at all so I'm sure you can build/buy something out of cheap/used parts to support multiple GPUs and accomplish what you want to!

Thanks to evilsatan

Nikki (5th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you know the mobo, or if they are prebuilt units like Dell, then send over the models and I can take a look for you. Alternatively it doesn't sound like your system needs to be high spec at all so I'm sure you can build/buy something out of cheap/used parts to support multiple GPUs and accomplish what you want to!
    Thanks very much, the ASUS pc we have got that has a HDMI port is as follows:

Windows 7 professional service pack 1
    Amd a8 6600k apu
    16gb ram

We do have a Dell computer that is Windows 10 but does not have any HDMI port on it, OptiPlex 780

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The Optiplex has a PCIe and a PCI slot, not sure if the PCI will take a GPU (or if 2 GPUs would fit into that space anyway). Do you have the Asus model?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Optiplex has a PCIe and a PCI slot, not sure if the PCI will take a GPU (or if 2 GPUs would fit into that space anyway). Do you have the Asus model?
    The ASUS desktop can take a HDMI connector, however the Dell OptiPlex cannot, it only has the VGA slot in it

So would I need to buy another graphics card, remove the graphics card out of the Dell OptiPlex and install that in there? if so is it just a case of purchasing one that can handle 4 hdmi inputs?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you could find a GPU with 4 HDMI outputs and the ability to broadcast to them at the same time then that should do it. A card like that might cost quite a lot though as I imagine those features would only be on higher end cards, I'll take a quick look now but not sure what sites let me filter like that.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This seems to support 4 monitors at the same time, it has 3xHDMI, 1xDVI, 1xDP so you would just need an adapter cable. Not crazy expensive but I'm not sure what your budget was, it looks quite big so check the dimensions and compare to your Optiplex as I can't remember if the Dell is SFF so half height PCI cards in which case this won't fit.
    https://www.ebuyer.com/761962-gigaby...n1050wf2oc-2gd

Edit:
    This one is low profile and it says it comes with the low profile bracket, supports 4 monitors but you will need to convert a DVI and DP to HDMI as well as 2xHDMI ports already on there:
    https://www.ebuyer.com/821762-gigaby...gv-n1050oc-2gl

Thanks to evilsatan

Nikki (5th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

This seems to support 4 monitors at the same time, it has 3xHDMI, 1xDVI, 1xDP so you would just need an adapter cable. Not crazy expensive but I'm not sure what your budget was, it looks quite big so check the dimensions and compare to your Optiplex as I can't remember if the Dell is SFF so half height PCI cards in which case this won't fit.
    https://www.ebuyer.com/761962-gigaby...n1050wf2oc-2gd

Edit:
    This one is low profile and it says it comes with the low profile bracket, supports 4 monitors but you will need to convert a DVI and DP to HDMI as well as 2xHDMI ports already on there:
    https://www.ebuyer.com/821762-gigaby...gv-n1050oc-2gl
    Thank you

So if I purchase this one will it fit the Dell or the Asus tower unit?

Sorry for all the questions I am dead thick when it comes to things like this

Budget its for a company I work for, so even if I had to buy a new tower for a few hundred quid already done I would have done

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So going by the spec both can output 4 displays at a time, both are PCIe cards, the low profile one will fit a half height slot (just check the other dimensions will fit your case). I don't know the model of your Asus to look it up but so long as the card will physically fit the Dell case the low profile one should do the job along with some adaptors so you have the right connections for your monitors.

Thanks to evilsatan

Nikki (6th June 2018)