3D print cog ?

Thread: 3D print cog ?

josweet said:

Default 3D print cog ?

Is it possible to 3D print replacement cogs yet, & if so where ?
    My antenna positioner has (had) what can only be described as a wax type cog in it which has broken. The cogs teeth are fine & the diameter is approx 3cm in size. If i can fix then great, if not then... thats life.
    If anyone here would like to give it a go i can send the remains of the cog for them experiment with

.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by josweet; 8th June 2018 at 11:36 PM.

beerman said:

Default Re: 3D print cog ?

if you measure the cog and count the teeth I can do you a design in fusion 360. You'll need to measure to where the teeth should be, not the size of the cog now. As for 3d printing I haven't got a fine enough nozzle. Mine is a 0.4mm which looks way too big for those teeth. You'll also need to print it in nylon (which I don't print in) otherwise it'll be chewed up in minutes.

tips said:

Can't you source a replacement on eBay?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

They're cheap as chips and there are 1000`s of them on there.
    Last edited by tips; 9th June 2018 at 09:37 AM.

josweet said:

Having a second look at the pic, it looks like a double cog, with a much smaller one hidden underneath. Ill try and get it out completely over the next few days and take some high res pics.
    @Beerman, would you still be able to make a design if its a double cog, how difficult would it be for it to be accurate mate.

@ DF Jedi, thanks, but i dont theyll work, as it looks kinda special. Ill know more when im able to get it removed.

beerman said:

Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    H
    @Beerman, would you still be able to make a design if its a double cog, how difficult would it be for it to be accurate mate.
    It's only as accurate as the measurements given.