Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Facebook Data - Download yours

Interesting article from BBC THREE about FB and the data they hold on you, I not A FB user but those who are can now see what data FB hold on you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/artic...e-5146cd48c12c

To tell you the truth, I have never been the kind of person to worry too much about my personal data online. I know it’s concerning, but trying to do anything about it just feels pointless. Where are we even supposed to start?

I'm 28, and I’ve spent most of my life online. I got a Hotmail account at 10, my first phone at 11, and a Facebook account at 16. I must have given so much personal information away (let alone all the embarrassing drunk photos I posted online while at uni) that it’s easier to live in denial and not think about it.

But when the news came out that Facebook had passed on data of up to 87 million of its members to political consultancy Cambridge Analytica without their knowledge - and one in 20 Brits were reported to delete their accounts - I started to wonder just how much information the social network had on me.

For the first time in my online life, I decided to face up to my data and download everything Facebook had on me.

In recent months, the site has made this easy. All you have to do is go to 'settings' and then 'access your information'. It turns out that in the 12 years I’ve been on Facebook, I’ve collected 324MB worth of data. This didn’t mean much to me until it took 40 minutes to download (35 minutes more than it took me to download a two hour film recently). Facebook knows far more about me than I’d ever realised.

4 Thanks given to akimba

BigBrand (26th June 2018),  consoles (27th June 2018),  piggzy (26th June 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (26th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Facebook Data - Download yours

Interesting post, I am of a similar opinion. Having been online for majority of my life I dred to think what these companies know about me. In recent years I've made efforts to remove as much of my online history as possible.

You won't find me by searching my name, email or phone number online anywhere.

I am tempted to delete my facebook account, and apply for the "right to erasure" under the new GDPR, but I am not satisfied that Facebook will coimply, citing it's necessity under some condition.

I think it's very difficult to remain anonymous online, but it's fairly easy to not provide any senstive information.

Thanks to BigBrand

piggzy (26th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Interesting post, I am of a similar opinion. Having been online for majority of my life I dred to think what these companies know about me. In recent years I've made efforts to remove as much of my online history as possible.

You won't find me by searching my name, email or phone number online anywhere.

I am tempted to delete my facebook account, and apply for the "right to erasure" under the new GDPR, but I am not satisfied that Facebook will coimply, citing it's necessity under some condition.

I think it's very difficult to remain anonymous online, but it's fairly easy to not provide any senstive information.
    Download your FB info and have a look and let us know what shit they got on you ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also, have a look at this, I used this site to find my FB public information.

1. Go to Facebook and find your FB "Username" (e.g. facebook.com/digital.forums1)

2. Go to https://inteltechniques.com/OSINT/facebook.html

3. Paste that part of the FB Username reference into the FB User Name section

4. This will then provide you with the unique Facebook reference number for that account. Copy that number and paste it into the Populate All section and enter

You will see that you can search against a variety of categories for posts, images and many other things where the subject is mentioned, shown or has posted on other less secure accounts. There is an option to search against all categories at once but I’d advise against this as it tends to crash the system.

Thanks to BigBrand

Northernbloke (4th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post

but it's fairly easy to not provide any senstive information.
    Not providing and not knowing you're providing sensitive information is what is the issue, using the Facebook app on you're mobile and not realising it uploads all of your phonebook entries is sneaky, when you install the app you allow access but don't expect them to collect it into their database online.

I personally don't use FB but even those that have and have deleted their account must know its too late as all their sensitive data has already been sold onto multiple companies.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoz View Post
    Not providing and not knowing you're providing sensitive information is what is the issue, using the Facebook app on you're mobile and not realising it uploads all of your phonebook entries is sneaky, when you install the app you allow access but don't expect them to collect it into their database online.

I personally don't use FB but even those that have and have deleted their account must know its too late as all their sensitive data has already been sold onto multiple companies.
    But is this sensitive? Sneaky yes, but it's neither data about me, nor does it make me directly identifiable.

I'm dead against it by the way.

I'm more concerned that they own any images uploaded and can use his they see fit etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BigBrand; 27th June 2018 at 12:19 PM.
    "That's why I fucked your bitch you fat mother fucker"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Uploading your phone book is unbelievably powerful to Facebook so I would say this is sensitive most people have only 1 mobile number so is basically a unique identifier for any person, so they can see who knows who without anyone being friends on FB.

As say the security bit sounds most ominous where they have captured your location everytime you login etc so knowing your location basically all the time, we thought that Pokemon Go was launched to do a mass geolocation data mine but seems it didn't matter as already had/getting it.

Thanks to akimba

Rhinoz (27th June 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's scary when you think about why such things were invented, conspiracy Facebook was created as a spy tool by the US Government.

Things like Gooogle were invited to predict future events. Think Google Search suggestions analytics, 100 people typing "bomb - London Tran Station" - analytics pulls that information and sends to the authorities who are now on guard for a bomb. Must be being used for Anti Terror and crimes around the country.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The biggest source of personal data sold or given away in the UK is the UK Government who have a statutory duty to provide this data to anyone who asks.
    Last edited by JonEp; 28th June 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the new Facebook ads are awesome "Look we been bad with your data but we want to be good now so please keep making friends but erm don't read the next T&C's when we will go back to harvesting you guy's ;-)"

Thanks
    Karma Level

just got mine 5.9gb :O

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    just got mine 5.9gb :O
    6 GIG fuck me thats a lot of photos lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

free storage innit

3 Thanks given to consoles

BigBrand (4th July 2018),  JonEp (3rd July 2018),  Rhinoz (3rd July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

If your concerned over what data you've previously shared, deleting your FB account will mean FB will have to delete all your data, usually after 30 days, but can take up to 90 days.

I guess it's pretty impossible to work out/track who FB has sold your data to, wouldn't it?