World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

Thread: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

  1. DavidF's Avatar

    DavidF said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    I agree to some extent that ANYONE other than Sterling should be making those runs, he's just been awful, can't finish, no final product, but does get into the right areas, I think RLC would really play well there, he';s shown good promise.
    He's done not bad for being "shit" lol. Im not saying you are one but it really amazes me when England fans point out class players and say they are "shit" shouldn't get a game ect ect....I have heard it about Shearer, Beckham, Liniker ect ect.....laughable really. Bet a few of the beckham boo boys would have loved him taking a couple of those free kicks in front of goal last night in normal time lol.
    I am intrigued as to why Sterling gets so much abuse and heavy criticism though - He reminds me of Shearer and Im sure he will mature into a truely world class player.
     
  2. TJB's Avatar

    TJB said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    He's done not bad for being "shit" lol. Im not saying you are one but it really amazes me when England fans point out class players and say they are "shit" shouldn't get a game ect ect....I have heard it about Shearer, Beckham, Liniker ect ect.....laughable really.
    I blame dickheads that read The Sun. They've got a real problem with Sterling. It was his best game last night. I honestly don't know what people expect. He can't play like he does for City because he doesn't have the same calibre of players around him. John Barnes got the same abuse for the same reasons.
     
  3. BigBrand's Avatar

    BigBrand said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    He's done not bad for being "shit" lol. Im not saying you are one but it really amazes me when England fans point out class players and say they are "shit" shouldn't get a game ect ect....I have heard it about Shearer, Beckham, Liniker ect ect.....laughable really. Bet a few of the beckham boo boys would have loved him taking a couple of those free kicks in front of goal last night in normal time lol.
    I am intrigued as to why Sterling gets so much abuse and heavy criticism though - He reminds me of Shearer and Im sure he will mature into a truely world class player.
    You still drunk off tennants or something? I never said he was "shit", he's a class player, had a brilliant season and deserves place, HOWEVER he's being playing awfully, for the reaons I already stated.

    I'm making no reference to anyone else calling out great players of our past, I don't see how that's relevant to my point Sterling has been poor in this WC, he's making the runs, but there is no fluidity in his passing nor a final product.

    Your point about having great players around him is moot, as this doesn't stop him being able to make a pass, or have a decent final product for his runs.

    I must admit, I cannot make the correlation between Shearer and Sterling, at all.

    I stand by my statement.
     
  4. DavidF's Avatar

    DavidF said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    I stand by my statement.
    And I stand by mine. If you can't see the correlation between Shearer and his goal drought and those calling Venables (Remember him ? ) a cnut for even putting him in the euro 96 squad...of course nobody ever said those words EVER because as soon as he started scoring again it was oh im so glad the manager stuck by him when he was having a drought...instead of dropping him for pklayers who were clearly of inferior talent.....Again if you can't see it fair enough. I think the issue is a lot of England fans don't leave their club loyalty at the door on the way to watch an England game...Oh and the press of course.
     
  5. BigBrand's Avatar

    BigBrand said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    And I stand by mine. If you can't see the correlation between Shearer and his goal drought and those calling Venables (Remember him ? ) a cnut for even putting him in the euro 96 squad...of course nobody ever said those words EVER because as soon as he started scoring again it was oh im so glad the manager stuck by him when he was having a drought...instead of dropping him for pklayers who were clearly of inferior talent.....Again if you can't see it fair enough. I think the issue is a lot of England fans don't leave their club loyalty at the door on the way to watch an England game...Oh and the press of course.
    I find it hard to discuss with you, when you go off on such tangents. If your inferring Sterling reminds you of Shearer becuase of a goal drought, that's like comparing any England player in the past who suffered a goal drought at a major tournemout (Rooney?).

    If you're comparing Sterling to Shearer in respect of ability, you're frankly insane. It's the comparison you're making which isn't clear to me currently.

    Instead of being angry at other people's opinions of old England players, why not try and see the lack of performance of the player in question?

    Put all your media/fan/ bias aside, what is your honest rating of Sterling so far in the WC?
     
  6. DavidF's Avatar

    DavidF said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    The comparison is class player on a goal drought who will come away from this tournament with a top up of experience. The comparison is also of both national managers being strong enough to ignore form when they see class.
    I honestly think Sterling has done enough to play in the role that he occupies. If he wasn't fit or they had better in reserve then I would happily replace him.... To not play him when fit would IMHO harm England chances in this tournament and also potentially others.... Players can be funny animals and I think this guy will be England's future.

    BTW I wasn't having a pop at you persay more my years of frustration at hearing and watching England fans murder their own players. It's all subjective of course. Again I link it to more club passions than anything else.
    I suppose at least he isn't seeing effigies of himself hanging from lampposts lol. Like I said not a pop at you just a general observation.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
     
  7. Rhinoz's Avatar

    Rhinoz said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    I think Sterling is worth persevering with, his pace and runs are dragging defenders away from key areas which is giving other players to play through.

    I think his role is unintentionally underestimated because fans are expecting him to play like he does at Man City and like what's said above the quality isn't around him within the England squad.

    The England team formation looks attacking with 3-5-2 but seems to me to be more defensive minded as in 5-3-2.
     
  8. BigBrand's Avatar

    BigBrand said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    The comparison is class player on a goal drought who will come away from this tournament with a top up of experience. The comparison is also of both national managers being strong enough to ignore form when they see class.
    I honestly think Sterling has done enough to play in the role that he occupies. If he wasn't fit or they had better in reserve then I would happily replace him.... To not play him when fit would IMHO harm England chances in this tournament and also potentially others.... Players can be funny animals and I think this guy will be England's future.

    BTW I wasn't having a pop at you persay more my years of frustration at hearing and watching England fans murder their own players. It's all subjective of course. Again I link it to more club passions than anything else.
    I suppose at least he isn't seeing effigies of himself hanging from lampposts lol. Like I said not a pop at you just a general observation.

    Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

    Ah, now I understand.

    No doubt he'll come away with experience, it seems a shame that at a tournement when we have our best chance in many many years of reaching a final, that we have a team, that's not there yet, sods law almost?

    I'm not sure how much is Gareth being strong enough to continue to play someone who isn't creating chances, or perhaps he realises removing him imapcts the remaining formation so much (through lack of cover in that position) Who knows!

    I've learnt over the years, to not give a fuck about other fans murdering the players, it's an unfortunate downside of 1. Fucking idiot England fans, 2. Such a strong domestic league competiion. That''s alays going to be Englands downfall, how do you go through a season/seasons of hating domestic players whom may play for your rivals, to actively supporting them in a matter of weeks. One of the reasons I don't attend England games, certainly at Wemberly anymore, it's a combination of shite ground, shite fa, vocal shite fans in that respect.

    I watch England now a days from the pub, with like minded individuals.

    I guess one parting comment could be, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.
     
  9. TJB's Avatar

    TJB said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    How is Sterling having a 'drought'? He's only scored two England goals in 40 odd games. He's never been a source of goals. England are a limited side but Southgate does have a game plan and we do have some pace in the side which we've lacked since Michael Owen was at his best. I do worry about our inability to unlock defences though. We're only really a threat from set pieces.
     
  10. piggzy's Avatar

    piggzy said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    I was just glad to see the smug look wiped of cunty Ronaldo's face.
     
  11. mitchb's Avatar

    mitchb said:

    Default Re: World Cup 2018: England beat Colombia on penalties

    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    How is Sterling having a 'drought'? He's only scored two England goals in 40 odd games. He's never been a source of goals. England are a limited side but Southgate does have a game plan and we do have some pace in the side which we've lacked since Michael Owen was at his best. I do worry about our inability to unlock defences though. We're only really a threat from set pieces.
    Think the unlocking defences is what fans think sterling and ali should be doing as they were both in the top 5 of assists last season in the league. Think England need them to display this form to really go for it.

    Could really go either way in the games but if u asked anyone , 2 games from a world cup final and you play Sweden and Russia/ Croatia, they would bite your hand off. Not to say these games will be easy but certainly easier than brazil / France / Belguim etc and if England can play with fluidity have the beating of all the teams left on there side of the draw