Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default BT Internet Price Rise - AGAIN

Had an E-mail from BT, they're putting up prices by a few quid, again, second time this year.

They've offered 30 days to leave the contract early.

Anyone have experience of leaving and rejoining?

Thinking of leaving BT and then re join under the wifes name, using Quidco etc for an incentive.

Prices will be £5 pm cheaper a new customer, and I get £40 giftcard, and £70 cash back!

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BT Internet Price Rise - AGAIN

I think they will suss that your at the same address

goto www.uswitch.com and see what else is in the area then get hold of retentions and tell them you can get it cheaper, as long as you got proof they will lower your pricing or risk you going

I'm paying £34 a month and getting 82 from the cabinet as already posted on a few threads, I'm happy but when I get the email ill be telling them where to go as I am in no contract

EDIT:
    https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/fibre_optic/

My current speed which has gone down a lot

Last edited by Mickey; 26th July 2018 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks to Mickey

BigBrand (26th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Two things I've done with VM:

1. Leave properly and sign up to a new provider. Get a great new customer deal, plus a massive Quidco bonus (as you've alluded to). 18 months later, do the same thing and move back to the current provider. Very cost effective, but potentially big hassle with new installations and people drilling holes in your walls.
    2. Talk to retentions, say you're leaving, and stick to your guns when they offer you a crappy deal. Then the next day, the PROPER retention team with actual power calls back and offers a proper discount to stay with them.

2 Thanks given to flumperino

BigBrand (26th July 2018),  Mickey (26th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I did it with no problems. The contract is in your name not your wife's and you have a legal option to leave as they upped the price.
    I got a much better deal doing this.

Although a few months back I ditched BT altogether and got a much better deal with John Lewis Broadband. They basically use plusnet but I got a better deal with JL and got a VERY good Zyxel router on only a 12 months contract and a free google home (not mini).

Not sure if that deal is still running as it was a few months back.
    My bill is £35 a month inc line rental for full 80/20 (although I actually get higher) Fibre.

Thanks to piggzy

BigBrand (26th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers all, I'm on BT Infinity 1 35MB/7MB for £26:99, my £23 PM discount (normal price £49.99) ends at the end of August, and then from 18th September it goes up £2.50 PM.

Looking at USwitch I can get pretty sweet deals for C£30PM, so will drill down on that, before calling tomorrow to cancel and willing to let them cancel it WEF end of August.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cant help but call their bluff as they will see what other better deals are out there and as long as they know you know that then they will come down on price

EDIT:

its like getting your gas and leccy. it all comes out at the right amount, your just paying for the company`s profits. the speed will be the same on talk talk BT sky whatever as its coming down the line and if there's an issue then its down to them to fix it as they have to give you a min connection rate and if your not happy with it then complain, I did some 8 months ago with BT they eventually let me leave the contract but stopped with them as they did all they could to give me what I needed. Once they know your not a dumb fcker that wants his facebook on a wifi connection to load faster then your got it good.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...t_your_speeds/

That's why most of the suppliers have dropped their speeds

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just don't feel tempted with Talk Talk's cheap prices. It is for a reason.

They are utter fucking shit.

Worked for BT for many moons so know how it works. People think the lines are all the same from BT Wholesale then just resold so the Broadband is all the same.
    Not true at all. The line is resold yes, but the ISP can put their own equipment in the exchanges instead of BT's proprietary kit and they do to save money. That is when it goes to shit.
    Good ISP's who use very high end equipment are BT Retail, Plusnet, Sky, etc.. you get the picture. Talk talk use shit Taiwanese kit (at the time) and also lie about contention ratio's. We knew about this when I worked there but we just kept our noses out.

Thanks to piggzy

BigBrand (27th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can keep the price the same for 18m if you give them a call or I can sort out sff1 for 23.99 if you want mate

2 Thanks given to trueblue924

BigBrand (27th July 2018),  piggzy (27th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh and there is nothing to stop you taking up the service as a new customer online and getting the cashback debit cards. Just make sure you call them up first so they can remove the contract. Think you have to get a new number as well

Thanks to trueblue924

BigBrand (27th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I think they will suss that your at the same address

goto www.uswitch.com and see what else is in the area then get hold of retentions and tell them you can get it cheaper, as long as you got proof they will lower your pricing or risk you going

I'm paying £34 a month and getting 82 from the cabinet as already posted on a few threads, I'm happy but when I get the email ill be telling them where to go as I am in no contract

EDIT:
    https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/compare/fibre_optic/

My current speed which has gone down a lot

Is that with line rental? With BT Sport on 2 tv's HD I am paying £74.50 which is already ripass but we dont have option to go cable but have been thinking about going with SKY?

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just tinterweb and phone which I never used or
    plugged a phone into

Thanks
    Karma Level

Paid line rental upfront last September when I ordered Infinity1, weekend calls, tv starter and BTSport using the basic Youview box. With all discounts worked out at £16.50pm. Think it was a Martin Lewis deal IIRC, with a prepaid Mastercard as well.

My email said +£2.50 for BB and +£2.50 for BTSport. When I hit the 'Act Now' button the webpage told me after 16th Sept would go up to £52.49 !!! WTF

Did a couple of searches and ended up between NOW BB @£20pm incl LR or paying LR upfront to Plusnet and then £5.00pm for the BB (£15pm with their TV and BTSport app)

Armed with these choices I phoned up to cancel. Girl I spoke to on Tuesday gave me a deal @ £16pm plus LR. No haggling or anything. Offered to put the order through but I said I needed to have a think.

Decided to stay with BT 'cos of the sport and wasn't arsed with saving what I worked out to be around £23 over the year with Plusnet. Phoned back on Wednesday to go ahead. Spoke to a really helpful guy who ended up 'giving' me the BT MaxTV package, Fibre 1 Unlimited and the same weekend calls for £17pm. All 60 TV channels - HD plus HD Sports for £0.50 extra seemed a decent deal to me.
    Crucially, he explained that providing I pay the next 12months line rental saver before 16th Sept lt'll be at the current price - so no LR increase for me until they hike the price up next time. But then I'll be able to leave fee-free like anyone who has the email can now.
    £209 Line Rental Saver = £17.50 plus ongoing monthly cost of £17.

All depends on what you want. I was really close to going with NOW BB, getting just the cheapest basic service and rely on IPTV but with the number missed games with my providers last year I decided to go for service over price for no real difference in outlay.

2 Thanks given to chizh

akimba (30th July 2018),  yarmash (30th July 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chizh View Post
    Paid line rental upfront last September when I ordered Infinity1, weekend calls, tv starter and BTSport using the basic Youview box. With all discounts worked out at £16.50pm. Think it was a Martin Lewis deal IIRC, with a prepaid Mastercard as well.

My email said +£2.50 for BB and +£2.50 for BTSport. When I hit the 'Act Now' button the webpage told me after 16th Sept would go up to £52.49 !!! WTF

Did a couple of searches and ended up between NOW BB @£20pm incl LR or paying LR upfront to Plusnet and then £5.00pm for the BB (£15pm with their TV and BTSport app)

Armed with these choices I phoned up to cancel. Girl I spoke to on Tuesday gave me a deal @ £16pm plus LR. No haggling or anything. Offered to put the order through but I said I needed to have a think.

Decided to stay with BT 'cos of the sport and wasn't arsed with saving what I worked out to be around £23 over the year with Plusnet. Phoned back on Wednesday to go ahead. Spoke to a really helpful guy who ended up 'giving' me the BT MaxTV package, Fibre 1 Unlimited and the same weekend calls for £17pm. All 60 TV channels - HD plus HD Sports for £0.50 extra seemed a decent deal to me.
    Crucially, he explained that providing I pay the next 12months line rental saver before 16th Sept lt'll be at the current price - so no LR increase for me until they hike the price up next time. But then I'll be able to leave fee-free like anyone who has the email can now.
    £209 Line Rental Saver = £17.50 plus ongoing monthly cost of £17.

All depends on what you want. I was really close to going with NOW BB, getting just the cheapest basic service and rely on IPTV but with the number missed games with my providers last year I decided to go for service over price for no real difference in outlay.
    Jesus H Christ do you fancy sorting mine out? You getting more than me for 1/2 the price :-0

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by akimba View Post
    Jesus H Christ do you fancy sorting mine out? You getting more than me for 1/2 the price :-0
    For me it was easy as I had a couple of alternatives and was intending to leave and I didn't have to haggle. Both BT offers came from the retentions team who are supposed to offer the best deals to keep you as a customer.

If you've had the email/letter about price rise, just give them a ring and choose the option to leave. Can't do any harm.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Since this thread has started I have looked at my tinternet speeds and they have gone down from when the openreach engineers fixed the cabinet from 82m down to 62m.
    I have been on the phone yesterday on 2 long calls, (2 hours and an hour) so try and get someone to go test the line. All I got was a muppet that came to my house. I explained

that there was no issues at my home but at the exchange/cabinet. he told me he couldn't do that as he was a bt engineer and not an openreach. Anyway he did he checks
    and all was fine in my home. I already told him there wasn't an issue at my end but he still had to check. This guy then told me that he would contact openreach to check their lines

This was a lie, he did not as after he left I went straight onto the phone to retentions. The engineers report never said anything about openrerach according to the retention guy I was talking too.

So they did yet more tests and still my tinternet was below 65m, but he told me he would put me on a new internet speed and drop my price down from £35 to £33 and this should fix it.
    Well a reboot of the router and pc gave no indication of any speed increase and then I realised that I was now in a contract with BT. Well later that day I rang retentions up yet again.
    I told them I do not want to be in another contract and I wasn't told I would have been, the retentions girl ummed and arred and then said ill try and sort out your speed problems. I told her yet again that the problem is either in the exchange or cabinet, she like the other muppet said she needed to do this and passed me onto the tech team. same shiit (they must read a script) when this tech guy had
    done his shiit I was getting well below 65m. I said enough is enough I'm using my rights to cancel within the cooling of period and I asked him to pass me back to retentions.

So I got this really nice sounding girl who was so apologetic, she read all my history and told me that I could leave, but there was 2 options either leave and cut all ties or leave and hand over to another supplier.
    This was something that I did not know unless I was going to Virmin another fibre provider could process it. So I contacted virmin last night got it all fixed up for the 29th August, when my 30 days notice ends. I have had no real issues with BT except the tech people are dumb as fuuck and couldn't do one simple thing and get an open reach guy to test out their equipment. Well its BTs loss, hopefully Virmin have got their act together

Getting the standard 108m broadband and phone for £5 less than I was getting from BT. And I also downloaded 6 licences and keys for MacAfee, I don't think they'll work but worth a punt later.

Happy days
    Last edited by Mickey; 31st July 2018 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Since this thread has started I have looked at my tinternet speeds and they have gone down from when the openreach engineers fixed the cabinet from 82m down to 62m.
    I have been on the phone yesterday on 2 long calls, (2 hours and an hour) so try and get someone to go test the line. All I got was a muppet that came to my house. I explained

that there was no issues at my home but at the exchange/cabinet. he told me he couldn't do that as he was a bt engineer and not an openreach. Anyway he did he checks
    and all was fine in my home. I already told him there wasn't an issue at my end but he still had to check. This guy then told me that he would contact openreach to check their lines

This was a lie, he did not as after he left I went straight onto the phone to retentions. The engineers report never said anything about openrerach according to the retention guy I was talking too.

So they did yet more tests and still my tinternet was below 65m, but he told me he would put me on a new internet speed and drop my price down from £35 to £33 and this should fix it.
    Well a reboot of the router and pc gave no indication of any speed increase and then I realised that I was now in a contract with BT. Well later that day I rang retentions up yet again.
    I told them I do not want to be in another contract and I wasn't told I would have been, the retentions girl ummed and arred and then said ill try and sort out your speed problems. I told her yet again that the problem is either in the exchange or cabinet, she like the other muppet said she needed to do this and passed me onto the tech team. same shiit (they must read a script) when this tech guy had
    done his shiit I was getting well below 65m. I said enough is enough I'm using my rights to cancel within the cooling of period and I asked him to pass me back to retentions.

So I got this really nice sounding girl who was so apologetic, she read all my history and told me that I could leave, but there was 2 options either leave and cut all ties or leave and hand over to another supplier.
    This was something that I did not know unless I was going to Virmin another fibre provider could process it. So I contacted virmin last night got it all fixed up for the 29th August, when my 30 days notice ends. I have had no real issues with BT except the tech people are dumb as fuuck and couldn't do one simple thing and get an open reach guy to test out their equipment. Well its BTs loss, hopefully Virmin have got their act together

Getting the standard 108m broadband and phone for £5 less than I was getting from BT. And I also downloaded 6 licences and keys for MacAfee, I don't think they'll work but worth a punt later.

Happy days
    If you think BT is bad wait till Virgin goes wrong and you have to speak to one of their monkeys. Hot pokers come to mind...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah virgin and talk talk make BT's customer service seem amazing. Good luck lol

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Not too fussed if its not ok in the first 2 weeks then ill go tell them to take a hike.
    Ive been with virmin before and I know all the loopholes and phone numbers to talk
    to the right muppet in the UK and not India

Thanks to Mickey

piggzy (31st July 2018)  

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

LMAO
    just had a TxT to say David the BT engineer is on his way to fix my Broadband. What a bunch of amateurs I told them I'm leaving this morning
    and was in the cooling period. Oh well when he comes ill be polite and simply ask him to go sort out the cabinet/exchange.
    Lets see if I get faster than 64m speed anywhere like I was getting when the first engineer fixed the line

Not that bothered if they fix it or not, ill still be going to another supplier as I'm sick of how they have treat me, especially the Indian call centre

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sent him off with a flea in his ear. told him I needed the cabinet/exchange checking. anyhow lost tinternet some 20 mins later then after a reboot of router/pc all the same speed (64m)
    they had their chances

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast