Close

Thread: Amateur radio

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Amateur radio

Just a quick heads up.
    If anyone is thinking about taking up this hobby, then i would suggest you get on the next course as ofcom has decided to make it a lot harder.

Here is what youll need to get started on a local course>

Find your local club using the link. Once you have the club info, go to there website & either email them or just drop by during the next meeting. ALL clubs are happy to have new members.
    http://rsgb.org/main/clubs/club-finder/

Foundation Theory>
    Some clubs teach foundation over a couple of weekends, some do an online course. The online course makes it alot easier imo, as u can keep refreshing your self at any time & there are mini tests as you go.
    The online free course is here>
    https://www.essexham.co.uk/train/foundation-online/

The course and the club like you to have the foundation now book.
    Amazon> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foundation-...on+Licence+Now

The entire licence should cost you no more than £30.

3 Thanks given to josweet

BigBrand (2nd August 2018),  MHP (2nd August 2018),  Teajunkie (2nd August 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Amateur radio

Bit different to the "amateur" radio I am familier with...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by josweet View Post
    Just a quick heads up.
    If anyone is thinking about taking up this hobby, then i would suggest you get on the next course as ofcom has decided to make it a lot harder.
    What are Ofcom changing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MHP View Post
    What are Ofcom changing?
    There three levels you can take in HAM radio. Foundation is the first, Intermediate the second & then Advanced licence.
    The higher the level, the more you get.
    EG> Foundation Wattage is 10w, intermediate 50W & full 400W. You also get extra Frequency allowance where you can work satellites.
    Even if you stick with foundation, you can still get to work ISS (space station) when its overhead.

Ofcom are basically having a big move about, so that stuff from the Full licence will drop down to the intermediate and stuff from the intermediate will drop down to foundation.
    One example is that foundation holders will from 2019, be required to learn resistor codes.
    The full extent of the coming changes, has yet to be released.
    https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/rsgb...syllabus-2019/

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a simple question.

I used to be into cb radio BIG time since the old Am days when my dad got me an old cb from a truck at work.
    Had radios all over the place right up until around 2004 then got bored of it as it was just full of kids and chavs.

So if I was to take the exam and install a radio in the car can the wife use my home radio to talk to myself or would she need her own license?
    Same example out and about with ham walkies one license or two?
    Last edited by Teajunkie; 2nd August 2018 at 10:27 PM.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

You both would need a licence, & you would both get a your own official call sign starting with M6. EG > M6TEA & for her M6MUF
    You could go just use PVR (like CB) and get chatting without a licence tomorrow if thats easier for you.
    You wont get to use any of the local repeaters however, extra bands ect..

A very cheap popular portable radio that covers PVR and the amateur band is the Beofong UV 5R (£20). The antenna is removal so that you could then hook it up to an outside antenna, & an ext mic is also available cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baofeng-U...4AAOSw2IVbYxkp

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks to josweet

bugnote (24th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I already have two of the uv5r’s.
    I don’t think the wife would sit an exam she doesn’t need to. Lol
    i may consider it though.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Like Teajunkie, I used to be into CB back in the early 90's. I lost interest when mobiles became cheaper and the internet kicked off. Bumped into an old mate of mine a few months ago who used to be on CB and he said that it was making a come back. So a £150 later I'm back on the airwaves. You have 'Nets' now, basically groups of users who agree to meet on a designated channel on a certain date and time. The London net I'm on, Channel 35 FM, has hundreds of members and is active everyday. A lot of them are HAM licensed and are using some serious HF rigs. You get a lot further out now even with a basic CB setup because there are less users clogging up the frequencies. I've been toying with the idea of taking the foundation so I could justify getting a Yaesu FT-450D.

Thanks
    Karma Level

A lot has changed since the CB days such as you dont need a licence now, and you can now use SSB legally.
    The radio i run us a Yaesu 991 as i wanted HF/VHF & UHF + digital. Im not able to use WiresX though as there is no digital repeater here that supports that platform ffs
    If you decide to go for the FT-450, then you may want to consider the MARS mod to open it up> http://radioaficion.com/cms/ft-450-mars-mod/,

As for the foundation, just give it a bash & see how it goes, its not all that hard tbh if your coming from CB. Once your on there, youll be able to chat easily far further than just your local breakers.
    I have all the online foundation course videos saved which i have uploaded below>
    https://www108.zippyshare.com/v/Ml4A46zJ/file.html
    Last edited by josweet; 4th August 2018 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was very keen in the 80's as an AM/FM illegal user of CB radio and I'm sorry to say, annoy the Amateurs as I used to frequent there channels 28Mhz band and talk to my friend fairly close to get away from the constant 10/4 for a copy usuals. Also had a group of us on channel 41 (27.415mhz) which was attained by slight modifications to add 10khz via a switch that most couldn't get to I also used to repair and modify rigs, the best at the time was a Cobra 148 ! fond memories sadly I've reached the age where my brain has become to slow and incompetent to understand anything anymore

Thanks
    Karma Level

@Lestronics
    Download the online foundation vids i posted and have a look, i think you would be surprised about how kmuch you actually already know.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to love the CB, and got into Amateur Radio in an effort to re-create what I enjoyed so much back in the 80s. Sadly, after spending well over a grand on my setup, I found it to be nothing like the CB radio days.
    It's good news that they are making the foundation harder though, as in my local area there are quite a few of clueless idiots that just talk utter crap. It's actually quite amusing to hear them talk technical and be completely wrong in what they are saying. I often wondered how they even passed the foundation.
    I haven't switched my radio on in about 3 years now though...I should probably sell it all....but I just lost interest in it. Also my VHF antenna coax has broken, and I don't have a ladder long enough to get to it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah the dulcet tones of a hygain 5 Roger beep.
    Those were the days

Thanks
    Karma Level

I sat my Novice RAE back in 1994 I think it was??
    I'm one of the rare 2E1's... now an Intermediate.

I've been through some of the modes. Packet via TNC, APRS and the likes. Up to a few years back I was running Echolink and APRS Nodes. Ofcom changed the rules on that and I was sent an email by the ETCC telling me that my NoV wasn't being renewed. Only for me to sell most of the gear and then they changed their minds again, allowing intermediate's to hold NoV's.
    Needless to say I've given up on it. The ft847 has sat under it's cover for a few years now.
    I might fire it back up after reading this lot lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk