Close

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Aretha Franklin, 'Queen of Soul', dies aged 76

Aretha Franklin, 'Queen of Soul', dies aged 76

• Media playback is unsupported on your device

Aretha Franklin: In her own words

Media captionAretha Franklin: In her own wordsAretha Franklin, the "queen of soul" known for hits like Respect and Think, has died in Detroit at the age of 76.
      The legendary singer was diagnosed with cancer in 2010 and announced last year she was retiring from music.
      Franklin had 17 Top Ten US chart hits over a music career spanning seven decades.
      The star gave her final performance last November at a gala in New York held in aid of the Elton John Aids Foundation.
      In a statement, her family said: "In one of the darkest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our heart.

"We have lost the matriarch and rock of our family. The love she had for her children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and cousins knew no bounds."
      The family also confirmed her death was due to advanced pancreatic cancer of the neuroendocrine type.

Born in Memphis to a gospel singer/pianist and a celebrated Baptist preacher, Franklin was tutored from an early age by such gospel stars as Mahalia Jackson and Clara Ward.
    She struggled to find fame in the early years, with record label Columbia unsure how to frame her impressively powerful voice.
    Sir Elton John led the tributes on his Instagram account, writing: "The loss of Aretha Franklin is a blow for everybody who loves real music.

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Aretha Franklin performing in Chicago in 1992 "Her voice was unique, her piano playing underrated... I adored her and worshipped her talent. God bless her. My condolences to all her family and friends."
    Annie Lennox said: "She has reigned supreme. and will always be held in the highest firmament of stars as the most exceptional vocalist, performer and recording artist the world has ever been privileged to witness.
    "Superlatives are often used to describe astonishing artists, but in my view even superlatives seem insufficient."

Aretha Franklin's greatest hits

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption She gave her last performance in New York last November
    • Respect - US number one and double Grammy winner in 1967
    • (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - a top 10 US hit in 1967
    • Chain of Fools - reached number two in the US in 1968
    • Think - another US top 10 hit in '68
    • I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) - a duet with George Michael, number one in the US and UK in 1987

A move to Atlantic Records in 1966 saw Franklin paired with the famed Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, prompting some of her most soulful and fieriest performances.
    By 1968 she was renowned throughout America and Europe as "Lady Soul" - a symbol of black pride who appeared on the cover of Time and was given an award by Martin Luther King.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Aretha Franklin singing at Barack Obama's inauguration in 2009

Media captionAretha Franklin singing at Barack Obama's inauguration in 2009After an eye-catching cameo in cult comedy The Blues Brothers, she scored a number of big hits in the 1980s including Who's Zooming Who? and the George Michael duet I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me).
    She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W Bush in 2005, when she was saluted for "capturing the hearts of millions of Americans".
    Ten years later she reduced President Barack Obama to tears when she sang (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman at a Kennedy Center Honours ceremony, having previously performed at his inauguration.
    Analysis from Mark Savage, BBC music reporter

Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Aretha Franklin's music moved millions of people and sound-tracked social change over five decades Nobody could inhabit a song like Aretha Franklin.
    You only have to compare Otis Redding's original recording of Respect to Aretha's version to hear it. His is superb. Hers is otherworldly.
    Even her most thunderous performances retained their humanity - something her disciples often overlooked.
    The desolate colours she painted onto the verses of Carole King's (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman made the release of the chorus even more joyous.
    In later years, she was let down by the material she chose (or which was chosen for her) but her performances still had the poetry and power to move audiences - including, notably, Barack Obama - to tears.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45169609

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC News Aretha Franklin: Tributes flow in for Queen of Soul

Tributes are pouring in from the worlds of entertainment and politics for Aretha Franklin, the US singer known as the Queen of Soul, who has died at 76.
    Franklin performed at inauguration events for three US presidents and was a powerful advocate for the civil rights movement.
    "For more than 50 years, she stirred our souls," Bill and Hillary Clinton said in a joint statement.
    Barack Obama said her music had "helped define the American Experience".
    Remembered for hits like Respect and I Say A Little Prayer, Franklin won 18 Grammys and had 17 Top Ten US chart hits over a musical career spanning seven decades.
    She was diagnosed with cancer in 2010, and announced last year she was retiring from music.
    The singer died at her home in Detroit surrounded by family and loved ones, her family said in a statement.
    What did she mean to Americans?

In 2005, she was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W Bush, when she was saluted for "capturing the hearts of millions of Americans".
    She was "one of America's greatest national treasures", the Clintons said. "She was elegant, graceful, and utterly uncompromising in her artistry."
    Mr Obama said in a joint statement with his wife Michelle: "In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade -- our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect.

"She helped us feel more connected to each other, more hopeful, more human. And sometimes she helped us just forget about everything else and dance."
    The current President, Donald Trump, tweeted that Franklin had been a "great woman, with a wonderful gift from God, her voice".
    The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) said Franklin had made sure "black women wouldn't be ignored".
    Skip Twitter post by @ACLU
    Aretha Franklin provided the civil rights movement with a powerful voice — and financial support — and made sure Black women wouldn't be ignored.
    Today we say goodbye to a lifelong champion for racial justice. pic.twitter.com/7ncCenbJRC
    — ACLU (@ACLU) August 16, 2018
    End of Twitter post by @ACLU

The singer was praised by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) as an "iconic symbol of black pride whose music touched so many hearts and souls".

Civil rights leader Al Sharpton said he was "deeply saddened by the passing of a beloved friend and queen/warrior" while fellow civil rights figure Jesse Jackson remarked, "Earth has lost a lot of music today."
    Nasa, the US space agency, noted that the asteroid bearing her name would keep on orbiting.
    How did she pass away?

Her family confirmed her death had been due to advanced pancreatic cancer of the neuroendocrine type.
    "In one of the darkest moments of our lives, we are not able to find the appropriate words to express the pain in our heart," it said.
    "We have lost the matriarch and rock of our family. The love she had for her children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews and cousins knew no bounds."
    Franklin gave her final performance last November at a gala in New York held in aid of the Elton John Aids Foundation.
    Who was Aretha Franklin?

Born in Memphis to a gospel singer/pianist and a celebrated Baptist preacher, Franklin was tutored from an early age by such gospel stars as Mahalia Jackson and Clara Ward.
    She struggled to find fame in the early years - the Columbia record label was unsure how to frame her powerful voice.

After moving to Atlantic Records in 1966, she made her breakthrough, releasing some of her most iconic songs like Respect.
    By 1968 she was renowned throughout America and Europe as "Lady Soul" - a symbol of black pride who appeared on the cover of Time and was given an award by Martin Luther King.
    Chain of hits

• Respect - US number one and double Grammy winner in 1967
    • (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman - a top 10 US hit in 1967
    • Chain of Fools - reached number two in the US in 1968
    • Think - another US top 10 hit in '68
    • I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) - a duet with George Michael, number one in the US and UK in 1987

What is the music world saying?

Sir Elton John said he had "adored and worshipped" her: "The loss of Aretha Franklin is a blow for everybody who loves real music."
    Former Beatle Sir Paul McCartney wrote: "Let's all take a moment to give thanks for the beautiful life of Aretha Franklin, the Queen of our souls, who inspired us all for many many years."
    Mariah Carey paid tribute on Twitter, calling Franklin an inspiration, mentor and friend.
    A number of other stars including John Legend, Britney Spears and Tony Bennett shared their memories.
    Nobody like her

Analysis from Mark Savage, BBC music reporter
    Nobody could inhabit a song like Aretha Franklin.
    You only have to compare Otis Redding's original recording of Respect to Aretha's version to hear it. His is superb. Hers is otherworldly.
    Even her most thunderous performances retained their humanity - something her shoutier disciples often overlooked.

The desolate colours she painted onto the verses of Carole King's (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman made the release of the chorus even more joyous.
    Even in later years her performances still had the poetry and power to move audiences - including, notably, Barack Obama - to tears.
    Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email entertainment.news@bbc.co.uk.
    Let's block ads! (Why?)

BBC News