Close

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Advice New York: Must See/do?

Hi

I'm visiting New York next month and I need some must see and do attractions/events etc.

What do you suggest?

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New York: Must See/do?

i have been twice, but here are some of the things that saw when i went (it has been 12 years so not remembering everything):

Ground Zero - Which i have been told has been completely changed and is now a memorial
    Financial District - was cool but a nice bit to walk around
    Staton Island on the boat for liberty and all that good stuff
    Times Square - really cool at night
    Central Park - John Lennon memorial
    Ice Rink - Still in Central Park but fun, even if you cannot skate
    Canal Street - Also known as china town (dont go to real china town, no one spoke english and i couldnt get out lol) but you get moody gear down china town
    Fifth Avenue - loads of shopping, all the big names
    Empire State Building - great experience to get up to the top
    Katz - great deli to go to, i am sure some people who have been on here may have other options
    University area - have a good selection of bars down there and I think there were some comedy clubs down that way
    The meat packing district was getting some new restaurants that were good to check out
    Rockerfeller Centre
    Broadway
    Madison Square Garden - worth checking out if something is on, and you can pick up tickets next to nothing
    Jazz bars are cool - just like the movies
    Brooklyn Bridge - walked across the bridge and back
    Grand Central Terminal

I hope it helps, but the bestthing is to list down all of the things and map them out to kill off as much as you can in a small area so you dont have to go back to it. Oh and last but not least, catch a ride on the new york subway!

Thanks
    Karma Level

We loved New York did all the sight seeing stuff over a week.
    put a padlock on the Brooklyn bridge rode the subway and buses everywhere we went and even went to a mall in New Jersey.

We have some pocket maps here for ny if I can find them and you happy to cover the postage to you and back your more than welcome to use them.

we got a few taxis and the first one was an undercover cop car.
    apparently there are shit loads of undercover cops in taxis in ny that made me feel a lot safer.

As pratman did we also did the china town area and you need to really keep your wits about you they tried to drag my missus into a store by the arms.
    You buy bag yes! you buy....you buy.
    It was actually very intimidating with so many men watching ready to pounce on us.

You must do the 911 memorial I actually stood in the street outside the fire station almost crying.
    its a very surreal experience and to see the damage on the buildings so many years on you can feel the atmosphere.

dont bother trying the cakes they are disgusting
    We went with the intention of finding the halal guys truck and having a gyro.
    It was probably the best food from a van I have ever had and Jesus it was huge!

Most importantly look around online at things you want to do and book your tickets.
    Usual stuff is a must Empire State and rockerfella centre.

buy yourself a subway pass in the subway terminal we went to the help desk it was only a few dollars for the week.
    We got unlimited travel for next to nothing.
    you can get the unlimited metro card see here.
    https://freetoursbyfoot.com/how-to-b...y-subway-pass/
    also if you have any time left on it you can leave it as a tip the hotel staff are always grateful of free travel

we did a tour bus but it was pretty shit.
    There are lots of sightseeing tours out there and we’d even paid for a personal guide for a day.
    He was great. He took us to all the big and little things like the ghostbusters locations and small things that only locals know about.
    https://bigapplegreeter.org/
    if that was something you were interested in you need to book ASAP.
    its a very popular thing so space is limited and it’s great as it’s only you and them no others on your tour.

I hope that’s helped you out a little.
    Last edited by Teajunkie; 20th August 2018 at 10:39 PM.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh shit yeah I forgot!

Hot dog from the street vendors. They are shit but at least you can say you had one. And also a pretzel from the same guys lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Karma Level

Be prepared for neck ache when you get home
    you will spend s most of the time looking up!
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

mc.dodd (21st August 2018)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Buy a city pass and you'll cover a lot of these suggestions. We went to the empire state, Rockefeller, museum of natural history (of you're with kids who have watched night at the museum they'll love it, big kids too), 9/11 memorial (download the guide app and extras before you leave, I didn't), statue of liberty - go on the right side of the ferry going out/left coming back for the best views. There are a couple of options on the city pass too. We also went to central park (nice) and shopping on fifth avenue - which I honestly thought was a waste of valuable time, went to a big library off fifth, had a look in a massive Catholic cathedral, took the cable car to Roosevelt island and back, also an open top bus ride at night was fantastic - definitely do this in the dark. Went for a meal in little Italy which really is little since they've made their cash then packed up and left. Be prepared to smell charcoal from the hot dog stands. Also be prepared to hear some snide remarks from the homeless beggar types. If you're flying into/from JFK there's a fixed taxi fare of (I think) $55. I thought the taxis were a fair enough price all around. Got pissed in a couple of bars watching sports.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

When I was there in Oct 2017 we stayed in an AirBnB in Brooklyn. It was really nice and way cheaper than staying in Manhatten. You're never too far from a tube station wherever you are. Staying in Brooklyn meant that we saw more things from different parts of the city. There were great bars and places to eat. There's a bar on a barge where you can sit and view Manhattan with a cold one. We also took the overgrouind all the way to Coney Island to see the sea. There's a carnival there which should be open a few days in Sep. If you're flying into JFK then your week long subway pass is good for that too. I flew into Newark and took the train (airport and station connected by monorail thing) which was pretty cheap.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Take an afternoon to do the High Line as well, it's a disused railway that has been converted to a walk. It's really good and gets you some good unique views.

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks

I have jotted down all of your suggestions and I will add them to my list!