Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Anyone got a 3D printer or done anything with this?

New section!

Be interesting to hear if anyone has done much with 3D printing yet. They have a great place to view this kind of stuff at the Science and Industry Museum in Manchester.

Thanks to xdam

piggzy (21st September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone got a 3D printer or done anything with this?

I would love to get one, just to tinker with so I will be watching this with interest.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Beerman has posted a couple of threads on projects he's made with his 3D printer on here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes Beerman is the one to ask. He kindly printed a few bits for guys in DF.

It's something I am slowly starting to look into, was gonna try find out the different types of filament you can print with. Wondered if they was any that are soft, sort of rubber like but not got round to researching yet.

I always thought a flaw of vBulletin or any forum software for that is inability to tag users in threads. Shame.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys, just moved a couple of his threads in here, will do more when I have time.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    Yes Beerman is the one to ask. He kindly printed a few bits for guys in DF.

It's something I am slowly starting to look into, was gonna try find out the different types of filament you can print with. Wondered if they was any that are soft, sort of rubber like but not got round to researching yet.

I always thought a flaw of vBulletin or any forum software for that is inability to tag users in threads. Shame.
    Side note, but that would be useful - especially if they got a notification via email or some other format.
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Side note, but that would be useful - especially if they got a notification via email or some other format.
    Working on it this weekend.

2 Thanks given to xdam

gunner (21st September 2018),  piggzy (21st September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wondered if they was any that are soft, sort of rubber like but not got round to researching yet.
    Yes, you can get flexible rubber like filaments as well as ABS, PLA, Nylon and even exotics that have 20% carbon fiber or wood, etc.

3D printing is something I am looking to get more involved with for my electronics projects. Currently looking at a Prusa i3 Mk3 in the kit version. Not cheap, but seems to be the best for beginners as the machine does a lot of the stuff for you to make life easier which is ideal for someone just getting into it vs spending less money, but wasting 5-10 hours just to get the settings dialed in correctly.

2 Thanks given to Mario87

gunner (21st September 2018),  piggzy (21st September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by xdam View Post
    Working on it this weekend.
    The VBB versus Facebook/IG/Twitter fightback starts here.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    The VBB versus Facebook/IG/Twitter fightback starts here.
    Yep, we're gonna steal all their features and claim the win!

Thanks to xdam

Mario87 (21st September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I purchased one a couple of weeks ago, originally was looking at spending a few hundred but then decided to see what I can do for cheap.

I purchased a leshp Z1 (similar to anet A8) from eBay for £83, then an upgraded PSU and 2 mosfets, some fibre reinforced belt, nylon bearings and some stick on heat bed surfaces (around another £70 in total) and amazed at the quality for spending so little.

Now the printer definitely has some limitations, with a 12v psu heat bed won't get part 100°c plus clunky to use especially SD file selection only supporting 8.3 filenames, not seen those in years! Not a biggie but makes finding right file a pain at times.

As for actual prints I was blown away, certainly not the fastest going but quality is great. Printed some stuff off thingiverse and was amazed at quality, so dug out trusty caliper and got to learning openscad.

Since then I've printed a mount for motherboard and mosfets, mount for upgraded psu and mains socket plus some other little printer related upgrades, next test was going to be a little harder as I needed a replacement part for dishwasher so knew PLA wouldn't cut it so got a spool of ABS and after a bit of fiddling to get settings dialed on dishwasher has a replacement wheel. Finally yesterday with the ABS still in I made some spacers for bedroom blinds, nothing too fancy but great for accuracy, I got 4 identical spacers with holes (one normal screw hole the other an elongated hole matching blind brackets) all perfectly printed with no post production work needed.

All in all amazing bits of kit and getting more and more affordable. But the true strength comes from printing your own designs. I do a fair bit of electronics stuff so it's nice to print my own designs knowing it will be how I want it and not making someone else's idea work. You can get all your screw, cable, led holes etc... printed so no having to drill afterwards.

3 Thanks given to ViaraiX

Mario87 (22nd September 2018),  piggzy (22nd September 2018),  xdam (23rd September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some good info ...

Welcome back Viaraix :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have one, CTC Dual Head, what a pile of crap, had it about 18 months not really had a good print from it yet,
    upgraded parts replaced parts and still not happy with it, worst 300 quid I have ever spent. i had big plans for it too.

Thanks to WRATH OF BOD

piggzy (23rd September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Some good info ...

Welcome back Viaraix :-)
    Thanks, been a couple of years ;-)

Funny the difference compared to wrath of god, this was one of the reasons I went cheap to have some idea off baseline, if I had gone for a £300 machine and for quality of prints I have with this one I'd have still been happy but over £200 more out of pocket. If I'd spent that and it had been dreadful I'd have probably just given up.

My current dilemma now is I want more lol, was thinking of upgrading the board on this one to sort a few of the firmware limitations and now have my eyes on duet wifi (£150 for just board) which is currently the best board out there but if I put that in I may as well upgrade steppers, heat bed, hot end etc...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ViaraiX View Post
    Thanks, been a couple of years ;-)

Funny the difference compared to wrath of god, this was one of the reasons I went cheap to have some idea off baseline, if I had gone for a £300 machine and for quality of prints I have with this one I'd have still been happy but over £200 more out of pocket. If I'd spent that and it had been dreadful I'd have probably just given up.

My current dilemma now is I want more lol, was thinking of upgrading the board on this one to sort a few of the firmware limitations and now have my eyes on duet wifi (£150 for just board) which is currently the best board out there but if I put that in I may as well upgrade steppers, heat bed, hot end etc...
    Lol where does it end . I spent £150 on my Tevo tarantula but have probably spent another £80 on upgrades. It's still cheaper than a prusa and has comparable print quality. I wouldn't mind a duet but haven't really come to the limitations of 8bit board so have no real need to go 32bit yet.

I do want a bigger printer though. Most of my prints are small and fit on the bed but there are some things I would like to print as one piece instead of chopping bits and glueing back together (helmets). I was planning on building a hypercube evo and already have another 5 steppers, hot end, bearings etc.ready to go, so only really need the bed, main board and some aluminium extrusions. It's just finding the time to put it all together and of course waiting a month for most the parts to get from China.

I find myself looking for problems and how I could print something to fix that problem, mostly brackets for things around the house but it's a fun hobby and nice when the project is finished and you look back and say "hey, I made that".

Thanks
    Karma Level

Returning older member/lurker here. Anyway, yes I bought a shitty eBay printer that didn't work at all. Sent it back and bought a genuine Prusa i3 Mk2, this was about 18 months ago now. The Mk3 is now out with some great added features. Anyway, I bought it to supplement my other hobby which is RC drones and fixed wing aircraft, since then I found a bit of a niche and print parts and ship all over the world. I didn't intend to use it as an income source but it's now paying for my RC hobby - which is nice :-)

Thanks to suggsy71

piggzy (25th September 2018)  

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought a Ender3 great printer for the price. I have printed thing for my reef tank and bit and pieces for around the home.

Cheapreefer on instagram

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ss30 View Post
    I bought a Ender3 great printer for the price. I have printed thing for my reef tank and bit and pieces for around the home.
    What’s the cost of running one and printing something small ?
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

DF Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    What’s the cost of running one and printing something small ?
    Haven't got a clue how much the leccy cost's, but once you have bought the printer the only other thing you need to buy is Filament which is around £15 for a 1000m roll the price does vary depending on which filament, PLA, PETG, ABS, Carbon filled, wood effect, Marble effect, TPU(flexible filament) etc.

This part I designed and printed for my reef tank it clips onto a 120mm PC fan and onto my sump so the fan is pointing at the water and with my temp controller the fan will get turned on if the water temp gets to hot.

20220618_083621.jpg

To print took 1hr30mins and used 3m of filament.

Here it is in action
    20220616_171824.jpg

Cheapreefer on instagram

2 Thanks given to ss30

Ashley (19th June 2022),  Teajunkie (18th June 2022)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I’m running an Ender 5 pro, also have a 3D scanner as well.

Not been active with it for a few weeks now lost interest same as the rest of my bits I buy.
    I’m alive and kicking yeh baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast