Close

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

News Bank Fraud and Netflix - A Tale of Woe

Ever get the feeling you've cut your nose to off to spite your face?

Chapter 1

It was just an ordinary day, on Tuesday 18th of September, with Ganty busy at work. All of a sudden, he received a phone call. This triggered a chain of events which would alter his life forever...
    Spoiler:
    Well, at least until next week

My phone rang. It was an 0800 number. I flicked my collar up, glanced around. There was no one who could eavesdrop.

I answered the phone

"This is Santander" said the automated voice. "The fraud department".
    "Huh", I scoffed. Because obviously the fraud department is staffed by robots.
    I hung up. I'm not gonna confirm anything to a robot, I've been around the block enough times to smell a scam, hell, I knew Lee Elwood.

My day after that point was inconsequential. I got home, showered, tried to relax.
    But then I remembered the call.
    I stared at my phone, thinking of reverse searching the number that called me earlier.
    I didn't need to.

The phone rang again.

Chapter 2

The same automated drone, this time it seemed edgy, breathless. Maybe I imagined it. Maybe the robot gained sentience and realised the urgency of the situation.

I hung up again, and decided to take matter into my own hands.

I called the bank.

Chapter 3

I navigated deftly through menus and security procedures. No robot would hold me to ransom, I decided. I spoke to a person, an actual human, and once we were both satisfied with our credentials, they proceeded to explain that I had been victim of bank fraud. My debit card had been cloned.

The bank knew who I was, and knew I was not to be messed with, so they didn't allow a single penny to leave my account. An elite haxx0r group had attempted multiple transactions to uber. The bank knew I wouldn't be seen dead in an uber, so they blocked everything.

They also blocked my card.

Chapter 4

Trying to forget the ordeal of the week, I sat at home nursing a small scotch, no ice. I flicked on the TV set and thought it'd be a good time to catch up with some of my favourite shows. I pressed Netflix, logged in. Found my show. Hit play.

Nothing.

Except a small notification.

Please update you're billing information

Chapter 5

I panicked, sweat glistening on my forehead. I jumped onto my PC, checked gmail. An email, from Netflix, dated yesterday. They charged my card. The bank bounced it. Damn these hackers were good. They found my achilles heel.

I started a conversation with netflix support. Explained the situation. Surely they knew who I was, what I was capable of. They'd have me back up and on it in no time at all.

I was wrong.

A lengthy email exchange took place, and I uttered the words which I will regret for the rest of my life.

Please cancel my Netflix account.

4 Thanks given to Ganty

flumperino (23rd September 2018),  Mickey (23rd September 2018),  piggzy (23rd September 2018),  WRATH OF BOD (23rd September 2018)