Getting made redundant.

Thread: Getting made redundant.

TJB said:

Default Getting made redundant.

OK, found out this morning I'm getting made redundant. It's not immediate and the company (Novartis) are potentially going to be offering some re-training packages. So what should I be looking for to stand me in good stead? I've always been fairly hands on with PC's, TV's etc. I was thinking of maybe something in that area. Any advice would really be appreciated!

Cheers

tef89 said:

Default Re: Getting made redundant.

Hi TJB. really sorry to hear you're being made redundant, I took semi voluntary redundancy at Christmas from my last job.

I'd worked for a company as an IT Technician for the last 5 years. As far as courses are concerned it's a difficult one as it really depends on the area of IT you want to work in as it's a huge discipline. I'd always been into computers but when I started working as a technician in the corporate field it's really quite different.

As far as course suggestions they range from basic stuff like CompTIA, then to Microsoft Certification (there are lots of different ones so have a look at the ones that require minimal previous study). You've then got network based study such as Cisco's CCNA and associated courses.

Good luck in what ever you try and PM me if you think I can help - no guarantee I can lol but IT is a good field to retrain in if you think it will interest you.

Brydo666 said:

Sounds like a really horrible position to be in mate, my recommendation would be to train towards the demand if you can. Look at job openings on things like LinkedIn and Indeed and train towards those. If you want work quickly and for work to be readily available there are a number of consultancy helpdesk roles that require little more than some experience with Active Directory and Exchange. If you do well and have a solid connection at a popular job agency, you'll never be out of work.

TJB said:

It's an awful position to be in. I'm only 43 so I've got a big chunk of my working life left. The job I have at the minute is well paid, has a good pension, shares and private medical insurance for my family. The plant isn't going to close for another 2 years at which point I can expect a redundancy package of between 30k- 40k which sounds a lot but won't last that long without another job. The thing that really pisses me off is that we are a very profitable site for Novartis, it's just they can make even more profit in China.

BigBrand said:

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    It's an awful position to be in. I'm only 43 so I've got a big chunk of my working life left. The job I have at the minute is well paid, has a good pension, shares and private medical insurance for my family. The plant isn't going to close for another 2 years at which point I can expect a redundancy package of between 30k- 40k which sounds a lot but won't last that long without another job. The thing that really pisses me off is that we are a very profitable site for Novartis, it's just they can make even more profit in China.

Sorry to hear that TJB, is there an option to use some of the redundancy money to subsidiese courses for you to retrain and work part time in something else?

My friend was in similar situation, got made redundent and got 34k, he got a part time job, and did a course in what he really wanted, and then at the end he ended up securing a job in what he wanted to do, at a higher wage that previous, and still had some of the redundancy left.

TJB said:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    Sorry to hear that TJB, is there an option to use some of the redundancy money to subsidiese courses for you to retrain and work part time in something else?

My friend was in similar situation, got made redundent and got 34k, he got a part time job, and did a course in what he really wanted, and then at the end he ended up securing a job in what he wanted to do, at a higher wage that previous, and still had some of the redundancy left.
    That's the plan but I really have no idea what I want to do. Like I said, I'm OK fannying around with PC's and I had a job in technical support but I was trained in house and have no relevant qualifications.

BigBrand said:

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    That's the plan but I really have no idea what I want to do. Like I said, I'm OK fannying around with PC's and I had a job in technical support but I was trained in house and have no relevant qualifications.

Understand.

TEF89 has some good suggestions, but may also be worth speaking to an agency, not to be put into work per se, but to understand what employers are looking for qualification wise.

tef89 said:

Really good idea BigBrand with the agencies.

The company I worked for was a privately owned Oil & Gas Co. Making approximately $1.2million a week from our asset but they still closed our offices as they wanted rid of the legacy staff (from a previous acquisition).

At least you've got some time to formulate a plan.
    Last edited by tef89; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:43 PM.

Copex said:

Free IT Training.... go learn!

Spoiler:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]