Facebook investigating 'worst ever' security breach affecting 50 MILLION users

Thread: Facebook investigating 'worst ever' security breach affecting 50 MILLION users

BigBrand said:

Default Facebook investigating 'worst ever' security breach affecting 50 MILLION users

• acebook on Friday admitted to a security breach that affected 50 million users
    • The social media giant said attackers exploited Facebook's 'View As' feature, which lets people view what their profiles look like to other people
    • This could have potentially exposed private messages, photos and posts
    • The firm is working with the FBI to conduct further investigations into the attack
    • The attackers took advantage of a feature in the code, called 'Access Tokens'
    • Access Tokens don't include a user's password, but they let you log in without it
    • Mark Zuckerberg said passwords and credit card details were not accessed
    • 90 million users have been logged out of their account as a security measure
    • Some Twitter users reported that Facebook prevented them from sharing coverage of the breach from the Associated Press and the Guardian
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thoughts?

c0axial said:

Default Re: Facebook investigating 'worst ever' security breach affecting 50 MILLION users

Anyone got the actual Facebook Notification ?

Brydo666 said:

Default Re: Facebook investigating 'worst ever' security breach affecting 50 MILLION users

I've not seen anything out of the ordinary on Facebook. Not good news though given how much information people are putting on Facebook these days - very easy to get the answers to the most common telephone security questions on your connections (DOB, Mothers Maiden Name, Birthplace, Etc). I use Facebook mostly for Groups these days (I don't like it at all, but they are becoming more popular than bulletin boards) I also "purge" my content on a weekly basis.

DavidF said:

It's not exactly a major problem really. They have identified the hack they have or are fixing it and have said no passwords were exposed. As for the data that people have put on FB....well if someone is stupid enough to put something like their bank details or any sensitive information on facebook then they probably should re-evaluate their use of the internet.
    Yahoo's email/password dump - BA's CC dump all much worse...As is the fact that the majority of these sites including FB are susceptible to brute force attacks and the like. Use 2FA when you can to minimise the problem for yourself.

piggzy said:

Bullshit no passwords exposed. They have made me change my password twice this week for no reason other "possible account compromised" message.
    If they are that sure why are they making certain user change ????

I dont use shit passwords and a brute force is very unlikely so a hacker got a load of database records imho