iMac stuck with padlock grey screen

Thread: iMac stuck with padlock grey screen

stevo25 said:

Advice iMac stuck with padlock grey screen

Hello you lot, my iMac is ready for resurection, but as the title shows. I can't log on to it at all. The hard drive is goosed and I was going to run it from an external, then use my back up to take it back to how it was. It was knocked off a table whole it was running.
    It's a firmware password that I did not remember setting 😒 Any help or pointers would be great

evilsatan said:

Default Re: iMac stuck with padlock grey screen

What model is it? I think some can be reset in recovery mode, some can have a chip replaced on the mobo. If you have the serial you can use everymac ultimate lookup tool to get the precise model and research from there.

consoles said:

remove the power lead, press and hold the power button while replacing the power lead and hold for 20 secs
    reboot then do the same again.

stevo25 said:

It's a MD095B/A , I'm out but will try consoles tip later

stevo25 said:

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    remove the power lead, press and hold the power button while replacing the power lead and hold for 20 secs
    reboot then do the same again.
    Did this, now the fan is running full blast! all the time It appears total an age to see the keyboard (caps lock led no activating)

consoles said:

you have to now power it off, remove the lead press and hold power button 20 secs then place power lead back will be reset.

XBOX4LIFE said:

Quote Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
    Did this, now the fan is running full blast! all the time It appears total an age to see the keyboard (caps lock led no activating)
    I replaced a mac hard drive the other week and needed to buy a temperature sensor and fit it to the non apple drive or the fans would run at full speed, could be the hard drive failure has effected the temperature sensor on the drive bud

evilsatan said:

Quote Originally Posted by XBOX4LIFE View Post
    I replaced a mac hard drive the other week and needed to buy a temperature sensor and fit it to the non apple drive or the fans would run at full speed, could be the hard drive failure has effected the temperature sensor on the drive bud
    Whenever upgrading Macs to SSD I install this and it sorts the fans out, without it they spin up to full speed and sound like a plane taking off!
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

akimba said:

Quote Originally Posted by consoles View Post
    you have to now power it off, remove the lead press and hold power button 20 secs then place power lead back will be reset.
    I got the fans blasting now and if do the 2nd stage I get a folder and ?
    if I hold cmd R it goes back to the padlock.

Only want to crack the firmware password so I can sell it as never use it :-(