Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Who's got an Amazon Echo?

I've got 4 and the smart lights around the house and a few smart plugs, best use I found is dimming the lights with the baby in the room and being able to turn off my mrs lamp she loves to leave on without getting out of bed.

Anyone got anything actually smart setup I can do?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Who's got an Amazon Echo?

I have played with a few Google Home Mini's. But I'm not keen on speaking commands out loud. Prefer to just control stuff on my phone or have stuff managed by IFTTT commands. Proper home integration is cost prohibitive for me

Thanks to wizer

xdam (20th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got a few wireless plugs which can then be used to turn on/off lamps and more funnily the kids xbox muhahahaha

Thanks to hoponbaby

Thanks
    Karma Level

Five Echos in our house
    All lights are Phillips hue and our external lights are controlled by tp link wifi plugs.

At xmas our tree lights and external decorations are also on tp link plugs makes life so much easier.
    I was going to buy a hive thermostat but £200 to turn the heating up or down!! I could just pay someone to do that like one of the kids!
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have an echo dot in my lounge that connects to a Sonos Playbar and two Play:1's (I read the Sonos One mic was a bit poor and the Beam was weaker so opted for this setup) and an Echo Plus in my bedroom.

Ikea smart bulbs in my bedroom as downlights but have been buying Sonoff T1 smart switches to control the other LED normal bulbs in my house. Only got 3 switches so far but will add them as/when I can. I also have 2 Nests to control my 2 zones and hot water, will add a Nest IQ outdoor cam at some point and the doorbell when they fix the bugs or release a new version. In the distant future may look at the Nest x Yale smart lock. The idea would be to allow for deliveries when I am out but not sure I would trust the legit driver in my house so thinking about that still.

When I finally move my servers across will be looking at what I can do using that!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Echo with Sonos - works really well apart from Amazon not allowing to send to a Sonos Group - which is a little annoying! That and a cheap gearbest Plug to turn the decking lights on and off.

The most useful feature for me is the timer, kids cant argue with Alexa when the timer goes off!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i see theyve just announced an alexa microwave, wall clock, plug sockets and a bunch of other shit.

the event is still ongoing. i have a google home but i havent hooked it up to anything yet really. starting to think amazon has the right idea with all the accompanying hardware.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/20/17883414/amazon-echo-wall-clock-led-timers-price-release-date

Thanks to marcode

Mickey (20th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I find calling another echo device is shit!
    its just too quiet and to hear anyone they have to be talking right over the top of it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive got the google home and despite all the stuff it can do its biggest bonus has been keeping the boys chilled at night.
    They were having sleep issues, scared of the boogey man etc was going on and on. Put the google home in there, super low volume and tell it to play classical music.

Been perfect ever since. About 2 months and they are asleep within minutes and stay there 99% of the time.

For that I love it. Bonus is I can turn it off without getting out of bed or just turn it right down if they seem restless.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got an Echo in almost every room.

One main Echo in the kitchen and the Dot's everywhere else.
    Been holding off getting a Show as we swapped iPads for Fire's in the house and they do the job.

I am interested in the new kit, the Sub will be a good addition. They need to release a sound bar now and then I can have a Bluetooth transmitter on the projector and have a soundbar/sub for some decent audio!

Amazon must love me...
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks to Goldberg

piggzy (20th September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have the big echo , use it for music mainly at £4 a month it’s not bad , I have 1 smart plug that’s used for the Xmas lights ...saves us crawling under the tree but can’t think of a use for the plug for the rest of the year.
    Cheers

Sniper

My Specs
    ---------

x-ray (i wish) :p

Thanks
    Karma Level

For any google home users. When I got it (about 9 months ago) I had my free months spotify, then thought I would compare it to Google Music for the free month with them. Google Music imo was much better but at the end of the free 30 days I cancelled it as I planned to then get a free month using different details using a different card.

Anyway long story short I have had free Google Music ever since. At least 6 months of Google Music on multiple devices, full functionality and they have not taken a penny as I keep checking and have kept the cancellation email I received just in case.

I didnt do anything special as far as I am aware but bring it on :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest I find the whole Alexa thing creepy, keeps lighting up when just having a conversation or listening to the TV and the other day me and the missus were chatting about buying something and next day I'm getting personalised ads on the phone and pc for the very thing we were talking about !!!!

Thanks to icewarrior

piggzy (21st September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oddly we are also getting ads based on what we were discussing!

there was a program on about plus sized women and one was in a bathing suit.
    we joked about it and low and behold we are getting ads on eBay and other sites for plus sized bathing suits and swimming costumes.

And they say alexa doesn’t listen in on your conversations? Yeah right.

Thanks to Teajunkie

piggzy (21st September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

so what other data are they storing about us, not wishing to start a conspiracy theory but still a little concerning with all these AI gadgets in our homes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by icewarrior View Post
    so what other data are they storing about us, not wishing to start a conspiracy theory but still a little concerning with all these AI gadgets in our homes
    They all store as much as they possibly can. Convinced that mobiles do it too.
    The scenarios above where you get advertising based on recent conversations was happening to me before I had the Echo/Home device.

I even did a test to prove the point to the Mrs. I said John Lewis out load repeatedly on and off for about 15 mins... at the time I had never set foot in one, talked about them or searched for anything related to them. She took the piss, the next day John Lewis adverts popping up all over the shop etc

Thanks
    Karma Level

Like they said about Facebook "if you cant see the product being sold then you are it"

Thanks to icewarrior

piggzy (22nd September 2018)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

You are not wrong, I had a conversation with a mate about renting some shared office space in Norwich, the same night I was getting Facebook adverts for you guessed it....bloody Norwich office space. This was in a coffee shop so my phone must have picked it up.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    Five Echos in our house
    All lights are Phillips hue and our external lights are controlled by tp link wifi plugs.

At xmas our tree lights and external decorations are also on tp link plugs makes life so much easier.
    I was going to buy a hive thermostat but £200 to turn the heating up or down!! I could just pay someone to do that like one of the kids!
    I have almost same, but I have one echo show and one echo plus rest are all echos. I have hive system, lights all over house(hue) including coloureds.
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just posted this elsewhere but saw an ad today and if you sign up for 18 months BT Fibre Broadband atm you get a free Echo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast