Lectros Damp Proofing

Thread: Lectros Damp Proofing

BigBrand said:

Default Lectros Damp Proofing

Under the stairs in my hallway, is this plug, it's secured in, and doesn't have any live (that I can detect with a voltage pen) or any LED on the front. After a google it appears to be in relation to some form of Damp Proofing system.

What I'm looking to do is to take this out, and add in a 3way plug adaptor, as I need to feed a lamp on that side of the hall, and currently there is no sockets on that side.

Does anyone have any experience of these set ups, is this likely to be redundant and can it be removed?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

MHP said:

Default Re: Lectros Damp Proofing

Spoiler:

"A Lectros damp course wire system This is the box of tricks that powers it - what a complete waste of electricity. The owners had run it for years without even knowing what it was for. The cellars and walls were sopping wet, and we were called in to sort out the damp... which the wire was supposed to solve.."
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

BigBrand said:

Seems fairly accurate.

I've just removed it, and the fucking socket is dead.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

MHP said:

Check the consumer unit to see if a fuse or breaker are missing. Check nearby sockets to see if its disconnected spur.

BigBrand said:

Yeah that's tonight's job now, luckily no carpets down in the hall yet, so easy access on a few key floorboards.

BigBrand said:

Lifted the board to find that this was a radial from the CU. The wire had been split where someone had split it when running through a joist under the floor.

Ran some new TWE from a junction box under the floor and now have a working socket, which makes me happy as I wanted a socket on this side of the hall.

Luckily our flooring isn't down yet, so great opportunity to sort any last minute bits out.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]