SSD drive for netbook

Thread: SSD drive for netbook

mc.dodd said:

Default SSD drive for netbook

Hi I'm looking for some advice on an external SSD drive for netbook that I can install apps on as the netbook only had 64gb storage. It has Win10 installed.
    many thanks in advance
    PS3: mcd_dodd

Goldberg said:

Default Re: SSD drive for netbook

I thought Netbooks had soldered chips on board and not an actual SSD?
    I am sure there is something you can do, but the question is: Is it worth it?

I would love to see the project though should you go down this route. I am watching a lot of restoration vids of old (proper old) computers at the moment and people do replace RAM etc..
    We all make mistakes sometimes

ss30 said:

does the Netbook have an SD card slot?

piggzy said:

Yeah if by external you mean USB. If its USB2 you are wasting your time. It will be sooooooooooo sloooooooow

Over Carl said:

External ESATA would be a reasonable speed, but I wouldn't want to be running my OS on a drive that could easily get unplugged by accident.

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    External ESATA would be a reasonable speed, but I wouldn't want to be running my OS on a drive that could easily get unplugged by accident.
    Never seen an Esata on a netbook. Seen em on laptops but nothing smaller. Unless newer ones now have em ?!?!

mc.dodd said:

its one of these things!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Can I add a large SD card and use that to install apps, games and store music photos etc?

piggzy said:

Yes I would deffo go SD card route and get fastest too... 10x min imho

mc.dodd said:

does it matter which brand card? If I'm putting software on it and her files I don't want it corrupting

I'll also need to install some kids games and maybe a little bit of software, can this be done on an SDmicro card?
    Last edited by mc.dodd; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:22 PM.

piggzy said:

I prefer Verbatim, Samsung are fine though if you prefer. : [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

You can use Micro SD but will need the plastic adapter etc

evilsatan said:

Brand wise I like Sandisk or Samsung for memory cards but looking at your spec you have a USB 3 port on the laptop so might want to get an external USB 3 enclosure with SSD as I imagine this will surpass the speed of the SD card reader. Overcarls point stands, not great for it to be so easily disconnected but SD card transfer speeds tend to be fairly slow in my experience. Could look at a small USB 3 drive but the smaller usb drives tend to have slower transfer speeds.

Could also possibly look for a smaller OS, what is it running at the moment? What’s the system to be used for?

piggzy said:

Yup agree with evilsatan . If you got usb3 its a lot faster.