Best format for video compatibility for DVD playback

Thread: Best format for video compatibility for DVD playback

piggzy said:

Default Best format for video compatibility for DVD playback

Have made a slideshow for a customer which he wants putting on a DVD to hand out to certain clients.
    Slideshow contains a lot of written content that needs to be readable on screen.

Converting it to Standard DVD the quality is utter shite, images are fine but text is fucked etc
    I can convert to a number of HD type video files from the slideshow program but I am struggling with compatibility.

Bought a brand new LG DVD player so I could assume this is the standard of what modern DVD players will play but although stating it will play divX
    the ones I am exporting do not play. Is there a good standard option I should use. afaik MP4 is not normally supported.

I know nothing will be 100% compat and he accepts that but not sure of most widely played video file format used these days.
    Thanks for any input.

To add, I know the best solution is blu-ray and I wish this was an option but the customer is obsessed with light scribe (yeah I know)
    and will not sway AT ALL so DVD is the only option.

Mickey said:

Default Re: Best format for video compatibility for DVD playback

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quick Guide to Choosing the Right Video Output Format

If you have ever been through the process of editing video on your PC and output it as a single file, you have undoubtedly faced the question of "which video format should I choose?". A simple question that is sometimes not so simple to answer. For those who want to put their videos online, there aim is to find a format that can compress the video file as much as possible, but without sacrificing video quality. For those wanting to watch their videos at home on the TV, they want to produce their movie masterpieces in a format with the best video quality, but with a file size suitable to burn onto a CD or DVD. These scenarios are something that almost everyone will face at one time or another, when producing movies on the PC, and in order to make the right decision you need to have all the facts. The following are some helpful tips to guide you in the right direction.
    The first thing you should keep in mind at all times is: "always keep the original video file in the highest quality format". Whether you are outputting your video into a web streamable format, or burning it onto a CD/DVD, always remember to preserve the original video file in high quality. In general, DV-AVI video files have the best video quality. However, please note that 60 minutes of video can take up almost 12GB of hard disk space, so be sure to have enough storage space. The next best thing to DV-AVI is using a high quality MPEG-2 compressed file format, which enables you to save up to 2 hours of high quality MPEG-2 video onto a single DVD disc (4.7GB).
    With streamable video formats (such as Windows Media Video, QuickTime, and RealVideo) you can save a lot of disk space, but these files (once output in streaming format) cannot be restored or edited. Streamable video formats are still greatly used by many people because they offer reasonable quality, small file sizes, and allow you to send videos via e-mail (if within a reasonable size) or place on the web for easy viewing anywhere in the world.

Now that you have an understanding of the basics, view the various different video formats supported by [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]on the table below to become more familiarized with the pros and cons of each format.
    Advantages Disadvantages Note
    High Quality
    DV-AVI
    * Superb video quality
    * Can record back to DV tape
    * Large file size
    * 25GB for 60 min of video
    Need to consider computer processing power due to file size constraints
    MPEG-2
    * Good Quality
    * Can burn onto DVD disc
    * Large file size
    * 4.7GB for 2 hours of video (the file size will differ based on the bitrate used, higher the bitrate, the bigger the file size)
    Can easily produce high quality videos on DVD, using a DVD burner
    DivX
    * Good Quality with reasonably small file size * Not a standard video format
    * Cannot produce video onto DVD or CD
    It is an editable video file format
    Medium Quality
    MPEG-1
    * Standard video format for making Video CDs * Video quality is not as crisp as MPEG-2.
    * Some DVD players do not support VCD playback
    Best choice for making Video CDs
    Streamable Format
    RealVideo
    * Small file size
    * Good picture quality
    * Ideal for web transmission
    * Compressed format
    * Require special playback program
    * Cannot Edit
    Was a commonly used video streaming format, but not in such high use today
    WMV
    * Small file size
    * Good picture quality
    * Compressed format
    * Cannot Edit
    Microsoft supported streamable video format. Files can be viewed with Windows Media Player.
    QuickTime
    * Good picture quality
    * Larger file size (compare to other streamable formats)
    * Cannot Edit
    Is known to have the best video quality of all three streaming formats listed here.
    In widespread use on the Web.

piggzy said:

Yeah, that info is not that accurate though from my research and attempts at playback.

pickie said:

what bit rate are you curently encoding in ??

is the txt viewd at the same time as the picture, or is it picture then some txt ?

if your saying pictures look ok but the txt is shite, then what I think is happening is, the program your using is seeing that there isn't a lot of information in the txt parts and lowering the bitrate to shite levels
    Last edited by pickie; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:51 PM.

DJ Overdose said:

If its wide screen I'd guess maybe video: H.264, 1280x720, 60fps, ~5500 kbps with audio: AAC, 48.0 KHz, stereo, 128 kbps.

That list above shows all sorts of madness! Real Video is that still a thing?!

DJ OD

piggzy said:

Cheers guys. I found this info as a rough standard for divx via DVD players.

Gonna give this a try.

pickie said:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    If its wide screen I'd guess maybe video: H.264, 1280x720, 60fps, ~5500 kbps with audio: AAC, 48.0 KHz, stereo, 128 kbps.

That list above shows all sorts of madness! Real Video is that still a thing?!

DJ OD
    he says it has to be on dvd, H264 is not a compatable format for dvd, dvd will only use MPEG 2 at a res of
    720 480 29.97 fps ( dvd also uses MPEG 1 but that's as useless as a chocolate fire guard in todays digital world )

piggzy said:

Quote Originally Posted by pickie View Post
    he says it has to be on dvd, H264 is not a compatable format for dvd, dvd will only use MPEG 2 at a res of
    720 480 29.97 fps ( dvd also uses MPEG 1 but that's as useless as a chocolate fire guard in todays digital world )
    I am not referring to DVD format which is Mpeg-2 but DVD as a storage medium in which case they can store any format. The issue is the DVD player playing the codec e.g DivX, MP4, WMV etc. It appears from a quick try DVD players do indeed have no problem playing the H264/divX format in the params in the above image.

A few more testers :-) He's a fussy fucker. Why won't he just let me burn him some bloody Blu-Rays ffs. Light Scribe is wank

ilscuro said:

Convert it to the highest quality possible, with maybe VSO ConvertXtoDVD set it to highest quality 2 pass encoding, use best video quality, high quality resize filter, output size DVD-9 and stick it on a dual layer DVD, see if that works, it's what i would try.
    Last edited by ilscuro; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:01 PM.