Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default swapped SSD doesn't work in another laptop bot works in the on it was taken from

Hi, I have taken out an SSDdrive to put into another lapop(which is older) and it says no OS detected, put it back in it's original laptop and works fine.
    Can anyone shed some light on what might be wrong please?
    both Win 10

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: swapped SSD doesn't work in another laptop bot works in the on it was taken from

Does the drive have bitlocker turned on?
    'Sausages! Hot sausages! Inna bun! Meat pies! Get them while they're hot!'
    ... Hole food! Hole food! Rat! Rat! Rat-onna-stick! Rat-in-a-bun! Get them while they're dead!'

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: swapped SSD doesn't work in another laptop bot works in the on it was taken from

no bitlocker is not on the drive

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Check these all on the device that works, then compare to the other device.

Do you know what SATA operation is set to in the BIOS? Usually the options are legacy, AHCI, sometimes RAID. If it’s set to RAID, the drive may not have the driver for your controller installed.

In the BIOS, is the drive detected? Can you get to the boot menu and select the drive?

In the BIOS check if UEFI and legacy are enabled, if you have secure boot enabled then legacy will be disabled, you may find the old system used legacy.

Thanks to evilsatan

mc.dodd (20th July 2023)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Also what’s the aim here? To recover data or just use the drive on another system? I’d recommend a backup, wipe and reinstall if you just wanted the drive on another system.

Thanks to evilsatan

mc.dodd (21st July 2023)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi, the aim is to use the complete system, software included as it was in the other laptop in another laptop. I've downloaded some EASEUS software, TODO Backup, TODO PC Trans to see if I could clone the SSD, haven't tried it yet but would any of those do the job successfully?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Also check for a bios update. I always forget & over look this, but it has fixed some weird faults.
    I upgraded an old laptop to win10 and the WIFI refused to work, I even changed the internal wifi card tried USB wifi dongle.
    The fix was a Bios update & all worked perfectly.

Thanks to josweet

mc.dodd (21st July 2023)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mc.dodd View Post
    hi, the aim is to use the complete system, software included as it was in the other laptop in another laptop. I've downloaded some EASEUS software, TODO Backup, TODO PC Trans to see if I could clone the SSD, haven't tried it yet but would any of those do the job successfully?
    I’d imagine some backup software could do it, I always clean install though as jobs like this are prone to driver issues and reinstall of the OS is so fast now. I imagine there is some licences/heavily configured software which is why you want to migrate? Did you try the steps in my first post?

Thanks to evilsatan

mc.dodd (25th July 2023)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mc.dodd View Post

Todo pc trans is rubbish.
    almost every app I transferred needed to be reinstalled due to missing .DLL files or something else.

I moved my wd blue 250 from old pc to old laptop and it booted straight up with win 10.
    Doesn’t help you but most likely a bios issue stopping it being seen.
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

mc.dodd (25th July 2023)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

boot partition is possibly configuered for UEFI and drive partitioned GPT not MBR so wont boot on older Legacy bios, have a read here https://www.diskpart.com/gpt-mbr/cha...efi-4348i.html

Thanks to icewarrior

mc.dodd (31st July 2023)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

here's images from both BIOS mate

1690708269159.jpg1690708434931.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Check these all on the device that works, then compare to the other device.

Do you know what SATA operation is set to in the BIOS? Usually the options are legacy, AHCI, sometimes RAID. If it’s set to RAID, the drive may not have the driver for your controller installed.

In the BIOS, is the drive detected? Can you get to the boot menu and select the drive?

In the BIOS check if UEFI and legacy are enabled, if you have secure boot enabled then legacy will be disabled, you may find the old system used legacy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

"boot partition is possibly configuered for UEFI and drive partitioned GPT not MBR so wont boot on older Legacy bios"

Thats what the problem looks like to me

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think I can update the BIOS anymore unless someone can find a more recent one, I can't seem to find one and SONY stopped supporting in March of this year.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a watch of this, seems to work but havent needed to try it myself so its at your own risk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lUuwqXapP4

Thanks to icewarrior

mc.dodd (31st July 2023)  

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The BIOS on the left supports UEFI and Legacy, the one on the right likely only supports legacy. Are you moving the drive from the right to the left or the other way round? Right to left should work if the issue is UEFI/Legacy as it has legacy support enabled but left to right might not work.

Thanks to evilsatan

mc.dodd (31st July 2023)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    The BIOS on the left supports UEFI and Legacy, the one on the right likely only supports legacy. Are you moving the drive from the right to the left or the other way round? Right to left should work if the issue is UEFI/Legacy as it has legacy support enabled but left to right might not work.
    yep it's left to right, newer drive to older laptop ;(

Thanks
    Karma Level

Exactly the problem, drive formated GPT for UEFI boot which legacy bios doesnt understand and cant read.

Thanks to icewarrior

mc.dodd (2nd August 2023)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you try the Diskpart method or anything and get it sorted ?

Thanks to icewarrior

mc.dodd (10th August 2023)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

no, I've not sorted it yet, don't want to loose my software if anything goes wrong. I might try adding it to a desktop instead.