Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Need some Help Guys and Gals. My BT Broadband is up on the 16th Jan. Stay or Go?

Hi All

I need some advice please.

I have a BT Broadband minimum package at the minute which is:
    • 8mb Connection (can only get just under 2mb)
    • 2gb Download limit.
    • £17.99 a month (£10.50 Line rental is seperate)
    I have been looking at Virgin:
    • 8mb Connection
    • Unlimited Downloads
    • £10 a month (£10.50 Line rental still with BT)
    Also Talk Talk:
    • 8mb Connection
    • 40gb Downloads
    • £16.39 a month (this includes the £10.50 Line rental)
    I have sine had BT on the phone offering:
    • 8mb Connection
    • Unlimited Downloads
    • 3 Month Xbox Live
    • 2100 MS points
    • Home Hub Phone to go with my Hub
    • Norton Anti-Virus
    • Free Evening and Weekend calls to Landlines
    • £19.99 a month (£10.50 Line rental seperate)
    I don't have access to cable and cheap Sky is not in my area, so the above seem to be my options.

I haven't looked into Tiscali or AOL, don't know if I should?

What do you think???

I am receiving a phone call from BT at 6:30pm to see if I need my MAC code or to sign up to their offer.
    Last edited by LFC Muppet; 8th January 2008 at 04:22 PM.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need some Help Guys and Gals. My BT Broadband is up on the 16th Jan. Stay or Go?

If you could get cable in your area go for it. This is the lesser of the 2 evils
    but the bottom package looks ok

thats my 2p worth
    Last edited by Mickey; 8th January 2008 at 04:23 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need some Help Guys and Gals. My BT Broadband is up on the 16th Jan. Stay or Go?

for an extra couple of quid the new BT offer seems ok. i'd ask them to check the 8MB d/l if your only getting 2mb at the mo.

talk talk packages always look good, but it sometimes better to stick to what you know.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Do not touch talk talk, have heard very bad things from them.....

Good deals but a bitch to actually deal with them.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd have a look at Tiscali if I was you. I have just gone from BT to them and i've noticed a BIG improvement on my line speed and its miles cheaper!

I pay £20 a month for 8meg unlimited, this includes line rental, IPTV and wireless router. You get free local phone calls and some free international calls as well!

I can't recomend it enough. The IPTV is really good because we can't get freeview so its installed in the bedroom. You get Sky channels and loads of on demand stuff as well.

Still can't believe its only £20 a month lol Plus because you are on IPTV you have to have tip top network speed for it to work so you are kept on a seperate network thats not got too many users on etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

£17.99 with Be there ,unlimited package with a fixed ip .Might be worth checking to see if LLU is available .I had a terrible service with Bt ,wouldn't go back to them if it was free .

In saying that people that have had no bad experiences with bt swear by them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie101 View Post
    £17.99 with Be there ,unlimited package with a fixed ip .Might be worth checking to see if LLU is available .I had a terrible service with Bt ,wouldn't go back to them if it was free .

In saying that people that have had no bad experiences with bt swear by them.
    I'm with Eddie, just got be connected today and if it's available in your area get it ! I got the pro pack and easily doubled what I was getting and this is day 1 with the standard modem.. netgear D834GT is here am tomorrow and getting Uber GT updated firmware on arrival
    If you do go with Be get a DF to recommend you for money of your + there bills and join quidco for £40 cashback

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if you cant get cable, try and get be internet
    Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Thanks
    Karma Level

Can't get Be, think I am gonna stick with BT and take up there offer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i know i'm a bit late on this thread but the carphone warehouse broadband is aol, and you can get a free ps3 or laptop on the 19.99 deal, i have been with aol for 6 years now with no problems at all (only D/L about 10-20gb a month) and so i went online and asked one of their reps if i was eligable for this offer and he said yes no problem as your out of contract, means i'll be tied in for 2 years but to be honest i'm too lazy to bother about that anyway, havent changed in 6 years why start now?.

so which do i get free? ps3 or lappy? i already have both so will be selling it anyway, which has the higher 2nd hand value? although it will be new.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What type of PS3 do you have? The 60gig ones are selling at a premium on ebay because they are backwards compatible. I'd keep the new PS3 and sell your old one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have the 60gb version at the mo, the free one is a 40gb i think, what exactly will i lose in compatability apart from ps2 games?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think you lose anything mate other than the backwards compatibility. You'll make enough cash to buy a new game or two at least

Thanks
    Karma Level

i should hope so, just looked on ebay and they are going for £400+ (only looked at the comleted listings) i think this will be the route to go as i have a ps2 any way and 90%+ of my games are backups, cant say i've even tried one in the ps3!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Happy days then, cheers AOL haha - Why people would pay a premium though is beyond me. If you have PS2 games then you obviously have a PS2 as well and loads of spare scart sockets on your TV seeing as everything these days is HDMI so just use the PS2 lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah cheers AOL!

thanks livesey!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by maria85 View Post
    It's great to hear that you've had a positive experience with Tiscali and have noticed an improvement in your line speed after switching from BT. The package you've described, including IPTV, wireless router, free local phone calls, and some free international calls, sounds like a good deal, especially at £20 a month. The added benefit of having a separate network for IPTV to ensure optimal speed is also a noteworthy feature.
    It's always valuable for individuals to share their positive experiences with different internet service providers, as it can help others make informed decisions when choosing a provider for their internet and television services. Your feedback about Tiscali's IPTV service and network speed may be particularly helpful for those who are considering similar options.
    This thread is 15 years old!
    wtf are you waffling about ?
    Have you joined the DF discord server. https://discord.com/invite/YajVGQxDaw

Thanks to Teajunkie

cyprus (12th January 2024)