Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Anyone here who's got or are using a laser cutting/engraving machine.

Not strictly a printer but can engrave as well as cut so this looked like the most suitable place to post this.

Was wondering if anyone else here has one and what they use it for.

Bought mine last year after seeing one in use with a friend of a friend. Was quite impressed with the detail it could achieve when cutting or engraving. Debated about it for a few months then another mate mentioned some work that his boss had in the pipeline where he would need some foam cutting. Something along the lines of the foam in camera flight cases with recesses cut out specially shaped for various tools or instruments. Done the first batch for them and some additional unexpected work that cropped up. Nowhere near covering the cost of the machine yet but there is more to come.

Its a 100 watt machine so not capable of cutting metal, but has been useful for cutting wooden templates that I can follow for cutting steel shapes with my plasma cutter. (">

The rest of the time I've just been messing around with it making things like this rocker cover gasket for the car which is apparently not available to buy. Could have used a Stanley knife but this is so much neater.
    Spoiler:

Also a box to display the 5 I won from my skinflint Scottish friend who hates parting with money. mounted it where he cant miss seeing it when he calls.
    Spoiler:

Made a few things for friends. A coffee cup holder for my mate who runs a service and repair garage.
    Spoiler:

A gift someone wanted to give a friend for their wedding. Done about half a dozen of these now with different names for different weddings.
    Spoiler:

4 Thanks given to BigBird

beansontoast (20th November 2018), BIG-TED (1st December 2018), piggzy (20th November 2018), Teajunkie (24th November 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone here who's got or are using a laser cutting/engraving machine.

That really nice stuff mate. How much you talking for that kind of kit ????

Would love to play around with that.

Thanks to piggzy

BigBird (20th November 2018) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Anyone here who's got or are using a laser cutting/engraving machine.

Really great stuff
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks to beansontoast

BigBird (20th November 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    That really nice stuff mate. How much you talking for that kind of kit ????

Would love to play around with that.
    Price will depend on what you want to do with it.

You can get [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for around 100. Only a few hundred milliwatts though so will only really cut card or really thin wood but can engrave reasonably well on to card, wood, plastic, slate, etc.
    Spoiler:

A more expensive option around 1200 is a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] which is capable of a lot more and is a good option if you don't have much space.
    Spoiler:

A Chinese machine with the same work area and power as mine (1200mm x 900mm, 100w) would cost around 3500. They work well after a few modifications to replace some of the cheap parts that the Chinese fit to them. I knew I would have some paid work for it so went for a better built British designed machine. When the guy gave me the original price of nine and a half grand + vat I told him it was too expensive. He then asked if I was any good at computers because if I could set it up myself and didn't require the training he could do it for just under 7000 which included the vat. Ended up getting the same machine through a local company that re-badges their lasers and is only five minutes up the road from me, The local company weren't too sure if they could match the price but they worked something out with the main company so that they could make something on it. I know the local sales guy quite well so they even set it up and did some basic training and I was told that any replacement parts after the warranty runs out would be at cost. (">

My machine. What you see on the work area is where I have cut out some snowmen and angels from plywood to give friends as tree decorations last year
    Spoiler:

3 Thanks given to BigBird

mitchb (25th November 2018), piggzy (21st November 2018), Teajunkie (24th November 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

I looked at one of these a while back and it was 12,500 and I must say you would need a lot of work to recoup that kind of cost.
    When looking I did read some reviews on the lasers and the cheaper Chinese ones don’t seem to reliable if using it for business use.

There was a make I was recommended to go for which was a trottec.
    but to be honest there are so many people flooding eBay with laser cut stuff I can’t see any profit in it.

I may be wrong??
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks
    Karma Level

alot of uk lasers are rebranded chinese models i have used one from hpc laser in elland and was told by there engineer they were chinese ones rebuilt and rebranded trotec are the better ones but are expensive.

Social Networking Bookmarks