Smart Meter Crew - What we using?

Thread: Smart Meter Crew - What we using?

Teajunkie said:

Default Re: Smart Meter Crew - What we using?

Three bed bungalow this month so far 110.

usually Around 80 though.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

tronads said:

I wish my bills were as low as everyone elses. Im using 22000 gas and 5500 eleccy, and its about 170 a month combined.
    I will never accept a smart meter though. The government have said no-one will be forced to have one, but although they are saying this now, If there is not the take up that they want, then they will soon legislate and force people to have them.
    The reason....Electric Cars.....once these become commonplace and the loss of fuel duty to the government starts to bite, then they will need a method to quantify the electricity used to charge a vehicle, and be able to tax it differently.....and what device will be able to do that? The smart meter.

consoles said:

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    Never mind smart we don't even have digital, it's still have a wheel meter here that looks like it was installed when the house was built.
    Stick the biggest brick that will fit on top of it, slows the wheel down dont ask how no idea but when your meter man comes bet he says you need to remove it lol
    Also used to be a hack for some of them using the plastic from shirt collars which you slid inside to slow the wheel down.

edit, also remember 2 strong magnets left and right of the wheel made a difference

tips said:

We're trying to avoid going the Smart Meter route ourselves. Our budget forecast for the next 12 months is 1,840 combined (and I'm pretty frugal, every possible bulb in the house is LED, plus I go around like some OCD afflicted nutter turning everything off that the kids and the missus leave on). I'm sure there is something wrong somewhere.

(If it was up to me, I'd have em all wear Salopettes and turn the heating off year round).

chimpy29 said:

With you on that one mate, always being moaned at for switching off all the lights....but at 196 combined a month for a 3 bed semi, i think 'm entitled too lol......

Quote Originally Posted by tips View Post
    We're trying to avoid going the Smart Meter route ourselves. Our budget forecast for the next 12 months is 1,840 combined (and I'm pretty frugal, every possible bulb in the house is LED, plus I go around like some OCD afflicted nutter turning everything off that the kids and the missus leave on). I'm sure there is something wrong somewhere.

(If it was up to me, I'd have em all wear Salopettes and turn the heating off year round).

Oily said:

My combined bill was 62 for a 3 bed detached,just gone up to 86 to cover the winter then it'll go back down in April.Have solar panels which spin the meter wheel backwards at an alarming rate,Might try the brick option too over the winter
    My heating is on all day from 7am till 9pm but the Nest thermostat has made a big difference,take yesterday,heating was on for a total of 4.5hrs
    House has 99% LED bulbs and loft/wall insulation

BigBrand said:

Quote Originally Posted by Oily View Post
    My combined bill was 62 for a 3 bed detached,just gone up to 86 to cover the winter then it'll go back down in April.Have solar panels which spin the meter wheel backwards at an alarming rate,Might try the brick option too over the winter
    My heating is on all day from 7am till 9pm but the Nest thermostat has made a big difference,take yesterday,heating was on for a total of 4.5hrs
    House has 99% LED bulbs and loft/wall insulation

How many people do you live with?

DJ Overdose said:

Saw this a few weeks ago. Quite interesting about all the anti tamper switches!

Spoiler:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This guys great BTW, trashes all sorts of stuff

DJ OD

ss30 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Saw this a few weeks ago. Quite interesting about all the anti tamper switches!

Spoiler:

This guys great BTW, trashes all sorts of stuff

DJ OD
    Bigclive's great, been watching him for the last year.

Oily said:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    How many people do you live with?
    Me,the missis and my daughter

Over Carl said:

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    I wish my bills were as low as everyone elses. Im using 22000 gas and 5500 eleccy, and its about 170 a month combined.
    I will never accept a smart meter though. The government have said no-one will be forced to have one, but although they are saying this now, If there is not the take up that they want, then they will soon legislate and force people to have them.
    The reason....Electric Cars.....once these become commonplace and the loss of fuel duty to the government starts to bite, then they will need a method to quantify the electricity used to charge a vehicle, and be able to tax it differently.....and what device will be able to do that? The smart meter.
    I also reckon once electric cars become the norm, there will be a two tier electric pricing system.

However I don't think the current smart meters will be used - everything seems to have been implemented with no consideration for the future. Currently if you get a smart meter then change electricity supplier, the smart meter reverts to becoming a normal meter.

Also our current infrastructure is barely capable of handling current loads. Since electric been privatised, companies aren't spending money on upgrades/maintenance, they are just fixing problems as they arise. When everyone is wanting to charge at home, there will be very major problems with blackouts left right and centre unless significant upgrades are done. My guess (pure speculation) is when the network is upgraded to handle future capacity, the two tier system will be implemented then.