Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default hack1ng the switch, a quick intro

A few people are showing interest in this, and while the info is out there, its very confusing so I thought I'd give it the DF overview, based on my somewhat limited knowledge having only just hacked mine as of yesterday

Which models can be hacked?
    Firstly, Only older models can be hacked, if you bought one within the first 8 months since its release, you should be ok, but, check on that.

The version of the firmware on the machine should be your next port of call, although at the time of writing the current latest version (6.2) is hackable and offers no real downsides over sticking on lower firmwares. If you have a hackable switch and its not on 6.2 already, it's recommended to update now, as it's thought that 6.3 could be a lot more difficult to hack.

Now if you're on 6.2 (or lower), the basic overview is that you'll need to run a payload (software in the form of a custom firmware, which can run homebrew software, this includes emulators, themes, homebrew games and of course, loaders for commercial games).
    Boot into recovery mode (RCM)
    To do this you need an RCM jig, which basically shorts 2 pins on the connector on the right hand side of the switch, where the right joycon usually connects. They are easily found and products like the TX SX come with one anyway, or you can jam a paperclip in there if you're feeling adventurous.

Once the console is in RCM mode, you need to send the payload via USB
    Loading the payload, aka Custom firmware, aka CFW
    This can be done a few different ways, the cheapest being by just using free PC software and a standard USB C cable. The problem with this that the CFW, once on your system, isn't permanent and should you hard reset or your battery die, you need to hook up to a PC and do it again.

Slightly more convenient and also free, you can do the same thing using an android phone.

The most convenient method by far is to use a dongle, like the TX SX dongle, which also comes with its on exclusive CFW if you buy the pro version, but there are cheaper variations of these which can do the same thing, albeit with a few more hoops to jump though.
    Which CFW?
    Once you are familiar with how this works, you have a bunch of options on which CFW to use, with the main ones being reiNX, atmosphere and the SX OS (which comes with the SX pro dongle)

At the time of writing, Atmosphere and reiNX are working on 6.2, with an SX OS update due any time.

My experience of using these is limited to reiNX, but my understanding is that the main difference between reiNX and atmosphere is that reiNX is slightly simpler, but only accepts commercial roms in .NSP format, where as Atmosphere and SX OS can both accept .NSP and the other format .XCI, although I believe .XCI need some conversion doing to them. It is possible to convert between the 2 formats on your PC, but upon trying I failed and gave up.
    If you hack your system and go online in any way, expect a ban, its that simple. Some people seem to be managing some online activity, but its a slippery slope so if you want to play online, don't hack your switch.

This is in no way a tutorial, youtube has plenty of those as well as the main console hack1ng forums.

This post is only intended to give you the basics, you will need to do a bit of google legwork but I can probably answer questions on the info above.

As always, links to ROM files, or anything which may contain copyrighted code and NOT ALLOWED on DF, discussion however is fine.
    Last edited by {{909}}; 12th December 2018 at 04:11 AM.
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

8 Thanks given to {{909}}

akimba (12th December 2018), c0axial (12th December 2018), cyprus (12th December 2018), DJ Overdose (12th December 2018), Mr 250 (12th December 2018), Rhinoz (12th December 2018), scoobypatch (12th December 2018), ThieF (12th December 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: hack1ng the switch, a quick intro

I've converted quite a few XCI files to NSP's. IIRC, you have to extract your keys from the Switch and leave them in the same folder as the NSP convertor program. Then it's just a case of dragging the XCI file onto the .exe. It's not difficult and only takes a few minutes to convert. I followed this tutorial to extract the keys...

Once you have the NSP, you can place it onto your memory card and install using the Tinfoil program on the Switch.

Thanks to TJB

Rhinoz (13th December 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Great site [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

EDIT: Hmmm, looks like it might be a bit out of date now. Shame, twas good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I've converted quite a few XCI files to NSP's...
    Did your .nsp files verify ok? I made a few and they install and boot ok, but if I verify them in tinfoil they fail due to some missing xml files, whatever that means.

Thanks
    Karma Level

TX SX PRO, Latest BOOT. On a New Switch, System Soft 6.2, and I Can't get it to Boot the SX OS, This Normal, Or am i Noob ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nothing works in 6.2 they have warned people not to upgrade, there should be an update to support it but dont hold your breath as they may want to wait before releasing any backdoor exploits
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

i know my guide aint that exhaustive but nothing works on a new switch, the firmware version doesn't matter, it's a hardware based change. If you have an older model, everything right up to 6.2 works fine.

Thanks to {{909}}

c0axial (15th December 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    Did your .nsp files verify ok? I made a few and they install and boot ok, but if I verify them in tinfoil they fail due to some missing xml files, whatever that means.
    Do you know, I'm not sure. They all work which is the main thing. I got banned pretty quickly so since then I suppose I've been quite reckless.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Do you know, I'm not sure. They all work which is the main thing. I got banned pretty quickly so since then I suppose I've been quite reckless.
    I think using converted xci's is a big flag to get banned, but I would expect there are shit tons of the nsp files out there on the interwebs that came from xci's so its a bit pointless worrying about it. I never checked any of the nsp files i downloaded so they may fail for all I know.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is Worrying

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by c0axial View Post

This is Worrying
    Nah, not really the amount of money they throw at theese guys is stupid. If only the Police would do something better with their rescources like catch Rapists/terrorists or even Moped louts

Guy got away with it, how much did all this cost ? Waste of tax payers money

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you ask me they got lucky.

Either someone dobbed him in or he was stupid and offering shit online like ebay and got caught that way.
    The fact that he was only cautioned just goes to show how much time they have wasted on this.
    He was supposedly a and I quote “a prominent ‘modder’ of Nintendo Switch consoles.”
    yet still only got a caution.

This is country is a joke.
    I bet that cost the met 1000’s to carry out the raid and investigate, and to come away with a caution
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Probably selling his wares on facebook like all the nobs doing iptv etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone set up emunand yet

like the idea of having a hacked system and a normal one.

bit like the old 3ds way

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nah not bothered with mine, blocked nintendos dns anyway

Thanks
    Karma Level

from what i have briefly read there's no escape from nintendo's ban hammer, not sure about some of the newer configs of emunand though.

I was banned almost instantly but I don't really care, I've never really played anything online.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

once i get my switch fixed im going to finish a converter program im doing that converts .nsp to .xci and vice versa
    A wise man once said " "

Social Networking Bookmarks