Amazon Echo

Thread: Amazon Echo

BigBrand said:

Default Amazon Echo

I like the idea of having 2-3 in the house and playing my music across all of them when I want.

I like the thought of making it control my plug sockets on and off etc with the thought of smart lighting in the future.

The kids like the idea of using it to ask questions and silly things.

Is there anything out there that beats this for the money?

On offer for £55 each (RRP£90 I believe).

I like the sound quality of SONOS but can't afford 3 of those and lose smart capability etc.

Teajunkie said:

Default Re: Amazon Echo

We have these in our house.
    we have four echos and two dots.

All our lights apart apart from the kitchen are hue so it controls the lighting.
    we have three smart plugs and looking at some Sonoff’s

Best thing we ever bought.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

BigBrand said:

Have you experienced any sound sync problems playing across the Echo's?

Teajunkie said:

Not at all mate when I play music on the everywhere group it is perfect theres no echo.

People will shout get a google but it’s down to preference.
    The echo now supports Apple Music too.

Its pretty much much everything you need in the one box.
    If you want to control hue lights you will need a bridge unless you go for the echo plus but I’m sire you would with the google too.

BigBrand said:

Thanks bud, that's decision made, two of them now on order. Will be here Wednesday.

evilsatan said:

The Sonos One has alexa built in but they are a lot more money so the Echo is the best place to start, Amazon are adding a sub etc too so would be interested to hear how a full echo setup sounds. I have Sonos downstairs and Echo Plus upstairs. I don't think anything will beat £55 for the money, third party speakers with Alexa built in must be worse than the Echo in some aspects such as microphone.

Teajunkie said:

I’m trying to justify spending the money on a sub for the echos but not really sure where I would put it?
    when I listen to music it’s never in one room or any particular room, so if I set it up in the living room I wouldn’t hear the extra ooomph in the garage working or the bedroom. (I’m in a bungalow with really thick walls)

DJ Overdose said:

Does it not try to sell you shit and also listen to you talking about “things” and sneaky buy them for you?

DJ OD
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Mickey said:

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Does it not try to sell you shit and also listen to you talking about “things” and sneaky buy them for you?

DJ OD
    That brings up the case of a parrot that ordered stuff of the tinterweb lmao

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Last edited by Mickey; 17th December 2018 at 06:35 PM.

Teajunkie said:

My echos have never tried to sell me anything?
    its pretty cool you can create routines so in the morning we say Alexa morning. And she replies to our little boy with a programmed phrase we entered and plays his music.

I have now set it so when I say Alexa it’s christmas she turns on the Xmas tree and certain lights and says “yay it’s christmas motherfuckers let’s go open some presents.” She bleeps our the swear words too lol

BigBrand said:

haha, it's the little funky things eh!

Guess you need one of the special plugs to turn on extension leads etc.

evilsatan said:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    haha, it's the little funky things eh!

Guess you need one of the special plugs to turn on extension leads etc.
    Smart plugs for any devices like that, for lights smart switches are most cost effective if you have a lot of bulbs running on one circuit (like downlights) but they may need a neutral wire or just smart bulbs if a switch only powers a single light. Ikea do some smart kit in their Tradrfi range, some is good value.

BigBrand said:

Thanks, will take alook next year into the lighting set up.

grrrd said:

i personally do not see the point in lighting, saying that i do have 2 bulbs, but went for the Yeelight - no need for any bridge and cheap as chips

hoponbaby said:

We use the switches for table lamps as Alexa does them both at once and it saves having to find the switch built in to the cable, far easier. Kids just like asking for jokes etc.

Lestronics said:

I use Echo for Diffusor, Lights (Sonof Light Switch) and Santa is bringing me I think it's called an Infra-Red Blaster? it's quite small and will sit in the corner and enable me to control the TV, Satellite System and AV Amp, capable of learning all remote control codes and will do macro's, connects to Echo, Most TV's will boot into standby mode and therefore makes them useless with smart switches.

evilsatan said:

Quote Originally Posted by grrrd View Post
    i personally do not see the point in lighting, saying that i do have 2 bulbs, but went for the Yeelight - no need for any bridge and cheap as chips
    It can be useful to have a routine so if I say goodnight to Alexa is lights up my halls etc to go to bed then have another command to turn all lights off at the same time. Can also be used in conjunction with motion sensors or smart cameras to automatically turn on lights either as a deterrant or for convenience. Most of it is just laziness but we all love a gadget! I just got my first Yeelight, impressed so far.

DavidF said:

You can set up alexa to not allow buying from voice control. We use it for shopping lists, spotify, calendar and a couple of lights. I do have quite a few sonoffs but i have flashed them and got them controlled by samsung smartthings. So things in my house just "happen" such as if either of us are at home "our phones" then routines run such as lights come on at sunset, lights come on when light levels drop below a certain level....I note that santa has brought me a ring pro....so a little bit more tinkering to be had lol. Obviously this is going to end up me "needing" one of the smart locks so i can let people in ect....Btw with all that said my head is being turned by these little fellows [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] i will probably end up replacing the sonoffs with these...which are also alexa compatible lol.

matieboy said:

Can I point you in the direction of this guy on YouTube. Paul Hibbert.
    i follow him and he has done a shed load of videos re amazon dots/echos and the google thing,
    I've found his info very useful of late .
    hope his channel helps you.
    Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes