Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 'White hat hacker' talks directly to man through his Nest to inform him that he's been hacked

Nest home security cameras are sure to be a on a lot of wish lists this holiday seasons. The gadget is meant to keep the bad guys out, but if users are not careful, hackers can use the system to remotely hack into a home.
    Companies that make these products say they are designed so people can't listen in or look in on what's happening inside your house, but one homeowner found a guy claiming to be a hacker was able to access his home security system.
    Andy Gregg bought the Nest camera to keep his home safe.

"The reason I got it was for home security," said Gregg. "Never know who is going to be coming by, Amazon packages, things like that."
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Gregg, however, said things got weird a couple of weeks ago.
    "So what happened was I walked into my house, heard someone in the house," said Gregg. "Come to find out, walk around house, someone on the camera talking to me through the audio portion."
    A guy's voice came out of Gregg's Nest camera speaker. That man claimed he was from Calgary, in Canada's Alberta province, and claimed he was a hacker with the group "Anonymous".
    "I don't know where you live right now, but if someone was that dedicated, they could geo-locate your IP," said Gregg.
    The guy said he meant no harm, and warned Gregg about security holes with Nest and products like it. Meanwhile, officials with Nest released a statement, which reads:
    "We have seen instances where nest customers have reused passwords that were previously exposed through breaches on other websites, and made public. None of these breaches involved Nest. We are proactively alerting affected customers to reset their passwords and set up two-factor authentication, which adds another layer of account security."
    Gregg, however, is going a step further.
    "I am going to get rid of the camera entirely," Gregg said. "I mean, the best form of security, in my opinion, is a dog."

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 'White hat hacker' talks directly to man through his Nest to inform him that he's been hacked

LOL changing passwords wont help.
    If they want to get in they will.

I dont see the point in a camera if your being robbed what are you going to do from work?
    Call the police and they may turn up sometime later or tomorrow if they have time.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

2 Thanks given to Teajunkie

BigBrand (20th December 2018), piggzy (20th December 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 'White hat hacker' talks directly to man through his Nest to inform him that he's been hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    LOL changing passwords wont help.
    If they want to get in they will.

I dont see the point in a camera if your being robbed what are you going to do from work?
    Call the police and they may turn up sometime later or tomorrow if they have time.
    My neighbour got burgled and I caught it on my doorbell camera. They recognised the guy, arrested him a few days later and he got 3 years

This is the vid that got him convicted, shows him popping out the bottom panel on next doors shit quality front door.:
    Spoiler:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cameras give you an extra layer of deterrent. Good locks. Secure your perimeters. Thorny bushes are as effective as anything else on the market for those with extensive grounds. Even alarms are just an extra deterrent, neighbours and old bill will just ignore (in many cases, but i must say mine wouldn't ignore nor i his but not everyone is "mates" with their neighbours.). I was speaking to an alarm installer and he has now started recomending internal sounders/bells - the theory being the noise would drive anyone inside the house out ....Quite a good idea. I think my German Shepherd is another layer of security...in looks and sounds ony though as the fucker would lick an intruder to death after barking loudly ect.

Thanks to DavidF

c0axial (22nd December 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

My aunt and uncle had a farm with two german Sheppards and 4 jack Russells they were burgled during broad daylight the two GS were hit with a baseball bat so hard one died instantly and the other had to be put down. The JR's were traumatised so bad they used to piss everywhere whenever they heard a car outside.

So yeah most people would avoid dogs but some cunts are just vile and wont hesitate to do whatever it takes for a few quid!
    Good job my uncle was out he would have shot them where they stood and probably ended up in prison with the way this country is.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

2 Thanks given to Teajunkie

c0axial (22nd December 2018), Mickey (20th December 2018) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good Quality UPVC, Bell Boxes, Signage, Local Hells Angel Chapter Around the Corner and a Big Dog that likes to Shout........

Social Networking Bookmarks