Dark documentaries?

Thread: Dark documentaries?

evilsatan said:

Default Dark documentaries?

I am quite a fan of dark documentaries, in particular, mysteries. Below are some I have seen recently and some notes, if anyone has any to add or has seen the below would be interested to hear your thoughts, apologies if I have posted this before!

Making a Murderer (obviously) - the first season was more gripping than the second, not sure if this was because we know the current situation so the second season was less of a mystery but it did add more food for thought so was worth a watch.

Evil Genius - This one was interesting, started very dark, bit of an anti-climax as there's not as tight a conclusion as I would have liked but well worth the watch.

The Confession Tapes - I've only seen one or two of these so can't comment really, will need to watch some more.

The Jinx - This one started slow but ends very well so worth sticking with it.

The Keepers - I wasn't as big a fan of this as the above but still worth the watch.

Paradise Lost - this is a documovie, there is a trilogy of them. I watched half of the first one last night before falling asleep so will finish it later this week maybe. The half I saw was a bit of a mish mash of poor editing and interviews but the reviews are good and the story is chilling so will stick with it.

ilscuro said:

Default Re: Dark documentaries?

Not watched any of these, but i will look into it, as some of them sound interesting.

BigBrand said:

The Jinx is very good, well recommended.

The Staircase is also a really good one.

Evil Genius - again very good, a must watch.

Making A Murderer, speaks for itself! (I actually went to a Live show recently with the lawyers of Brendan Dassey, they talked for a while, we had a Q&A and a couple of quick pictures afterwards was brilliant!)

The most disturbing one I watches was "West In Memphis" - that was truly harrowing. Especially when, without warning, they cut t images of three eight year old boys, naked, beaten and left for dead in a swamp - that made me a little restless at night.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by BigBrand; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:51 PM.

evilsatan said:

I knew I forgot one, yes the Staircase was good too, just make sure you watch the popular version as I watched two out of three parts of an alternative docu about the same thing before I realised it wasn’t the one everyone was going on about! The one I watched was a pile of shit.

BigBrand said:

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I knew I forgot one, yes the Staircase was good too, just make sure you watch the popular version as I watched two out of three parts of an alternative docu about the same thing before I realised it wasn’t the one everyone was going on about! The one I watched was a pile of shit.
    Too fucking late, found that out myself.

TJB said:

Did anyone see the Waco one on BBC Four over Christmas? That was good. Should be able to get it on the iPlayer.

mitchb said:

Not normally my thing but really liked evil genius and will check out a few more that appear in this thread.

MHP said:

I've seen all the above except 'West of Memphis' I'll give that a spin. 'Innocent Man' is worth a watch, based on the John Grisham book that follows another questionable conviction in the American legal system.

Hippie on hill said:

Murder Mountain - the series about the disappearances in Humboldt county is quite interesting

evilsatan said:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post
    The Jinx is very good, well recommended.

The Staircase is also a really good one.

Evil Genius - again very good, a must watch.

Making A Murderer, speaks for itself! (I actually went to a Live show recently with the lawyers of Brendan Dassey, they talked for a while, we had a Q&A and a couple of quick pictures afterwards was brilliant!)

The most disturbing one I watches was "West In Memphis" - that was truly harrowing. Especially when, without warning, they cut t images of three eight year old boys, naked, beaten and left for dead in a swamp - that made me a little restless at night.

Just realised West in Memphis is the same story as the Paradise Lost films I mentioned, tought it sounded similar as these films also show the bodys of the boys which I was surprised about.

CominAtcha said:

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrand View Post

Watched this last night. Very good.

Sanj[UK] said:

Not as dark as compared to some of the above but I'd reccomend-

- Dear Zachery
    - Who Took Johnny

evilsatan said:

Finished the Paradise Lost documentaries a couple of weeks ago, the last one was produced far better than the first two and the trilogy is well worth a watch.

Binge watched Concersations with a killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes last weekend and that was good too, creepy how he can act so normal given what he did and some of the court recordings are very interesting too.

Might watch Abducted in Plain Sight today which has been getting good reviews.

Sanj[UK] said:

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Might watch Abducted in Plain Sight today which has been getting good reviews.
    I watched that last night....all I can is fucking Americans man, fucking Americans.

stevo25 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sanj[UK] View Post
    I watched that last night....all I can is fucking Americans man, fucking Americans.
    This too