Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default A little advice please

My nana who is 84 years old was recently moved from her home into a care home as she has COPD, she takes many sorts of drugs and is on oxygen 24 hours a day. Today we went to see her and discovered that the care home has been administering Diazepam to her, against her own doctors orders as it counter acts the medication she is currently on. We asked the resident doctor why she had done this and we were told that it was to help her sleep, which is total BS as she doesnt struggle to sleep. I have been asked by my aunt if there is some sort of small covert camera that can record sound and picture that can be well hidden, as we believe and want to prove malpractice by the doctor and care home, thank you for any advice you give, i really appreciate it.,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: A little advice please

Audio would be very easy and i remember seeing an ad for some very cheap and decent looking spying kit on Aliexpress.com

Video though would have a high chance of being discovered then you might be in breach of some law/rule as technically private property thats not yours etc.

Perhaps try the audio route first and see if that gets you the info you need. If not try the riskier approach etc.

Shit situation

Thanks
    Karma Level

Different circumstances but we changed homes because we weren’t happy with the first one , is that a possibility ?
    other than that eBay and Amazon and see what you could hide , if it’s found it won’t go down well but if you unearth something you’ll be on gmtv.
    Cheers

Sniper

My Specs
    ---------

x-ray (i wish) :p

Thanks
    Karma Level

I feel for you, i had similar worries when my parents were in a care home, i bought an alarm clock which had video and audio recording facility, the only thing with it though is you had to manually get it to record with a little remote. it wasn't movement or voice activated.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I never thought about the legal ramifications around the recordings etc, what with the GDPR thing. Thank you all for your words, I think we are going to speak to a solicitor to see what other avenues are open to us. The past couple of weeks we visited my nan she just laid in her bed and didnt move, hardly talked and was quite unresponsive, now we know why, they'd doped her up, god knows how long it had been going on for, thanks again everybody.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If diazepam counteracts her medication then surely that is putting her health at risk?
    Can you not contact her gp and voice your concearns about the diazepam and her current meds.

personally I would buy a tiny spy cam with a 128gb so card and go hide it in her room and fuck the legal aspects.
    if she is being mistreated in any way it will out them and the legal side of recording them won’t even become an issue.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks
    Karma Level

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    something along these lines i gues woild work

Thanks
    Karma Level

My missus used to work in a care home.

her advise.....

Get a hidden camera and record whatever evidence you can.
    then when you have some proof go to the cqc.

She said DO NOT take this to the care home or doctors as between them it can be covered up and dismissed, and the last thing you want to do is notify anyone of your suspicions.

My wife has a caring nature and always treated the residents as if it was her nan or grandad.
    Many times she came home upset because staff treat the residents like shit forcing them into bed and a bath etc.

Complaints would just fall on deaf ears and were always brushed under the carpet.
    So if you suspect something get proof and report it.
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks to Teajunkie

stevo25 (23rd January 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can record (photo and film) anyone at any time in a public place subject to one or two caveats, up skirting being the most recent addition to the not-to-do list but you only need to look around the care home to notice the numerous black bulb CCTV cameras and see the care home recording your nana's every move.

As a result your nana or a person with power of attorney over her affairs is entitled to make a subject access request (SAR) under the Data Protection Act for a copy of all the video in which she features.

Secondly, a doctor's prescribing record of Diazepam is monitored.

I suspect you could resolve the problem of doping nana by quietly asking for the prescribing doctor's GMC registration number next time you visit and if that doesn't work first time round, and shes still being doped hit them with an SAR for the video.

2 Thanks given to JonEp

I Black Belt (24th January 2019), Northernbloke (26th January 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just seen this on hotdeals [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Last edited by evilsatan; 25th January 2019 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Removed referral link

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a family member in a care home and an old friend who was in hospital for quite long periods of time. I noticed a similarity in both. The residents and patients that had no visitors, family etc deteriorated quickly and the staff seemed to treat them differently.

I witnessed some seriously disturbing incidents with patients that had seemingly been left to rot.

Do what you want with tech but my advice is to make yourselves known, visit as often as possible (coordinate with other family members) and if your not there, then call them and ask how she is.

Keep asking questions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Your entitled to have your Nan visited by any doctor who will take her onto their register and are prepared to make home visits, you do not have to have the care home doctor if you don't want them. You could also have her registered with another doctor and have someone visit her and take her out to the surgery at intervals for a check up. The care home would call out the doctor in an emergency or call 999 for paramedics if serious.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi, after a turbulent couple of days of arguing the toss with the resident nurse (not a doctor as I thought), my nana has now been put under the personal care of a macmillan nurse, my aunt has the power of attorney for my nana and has given over to the macmillan nurse the control of my nana's medication. Prior to all that happening the family were called in on thursday by the incompetent nurse, who stated we needed to get there quick as my nana was slipping away. We all arrived and stayed by my nanas bedside for 20 hours plus, she woke up friday morning and asked for porridge and honey, nothing wrong with her, she'd been doped up again. I dread to think what is happening to the other residents who have nobody to check on them. Thanks for everybodys advice, now macmillan are on the case things have settled down over the past 24 hours, and I hope this continues. Thank you all so much.

Thanks to DrEdDy

piggzy (26th January 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Home needs a fucking by professionals. This might turn into another case of a fucked up nurse killing patients while drugging them to make her own life easier.

Thanks to BertRoot

Thanks
    Karma Level

Report this to CQC...!!!!!

Thanks to Soulassassin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Soulassassin View Post
    Report this to CQC...!!!!!

What soulassassin said....

You could save lives

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DrEdDy View Post
    who stated we needed to get there quick as my nana was slipping away
    fook me, yeh cos she prob slipped her a whole bottle of sleeping pills, get all this info to the athouraties

Social Networking Bookmarks