Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help VPN /Router choices

Hi
    On black Friday i got a 5yr VPN deal from PureVPN, I have recently got FTTP from BT of 300/50 speeds and am wondering what would be my best options. I have a Asus DSL-AC68U which is not ideal as the CPU is not the fastest for OPENVPN and i lose a lan port as it is the DSL version. I was considering a lynksys WRT3200acm. and have all devices on the VPN, but I think this would bring my download speed down severely?
    I thought about also haveing the VPN only in my HP gen 8 microserver (with quad core Xeon upgrade) as that is only place where downloads happen? what do you guys think, options, other ideas?
    thanks
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: VPN /Router choices

I have a similar setup, I just have the Vpn running on the microserver, but mine also runs the Plex server the vpn can cause issues with remote access sometimes

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Nathz29; 27th January 2019 at 03:34 PM.

2 Thanks given to Nathz29

Lou_smorals (27th January 2019) 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi m8
    Thanks for response, I am running UNRAID O/S on my server and tried to do exactly that using an UBUNTU VM and found it way above my ability level lol
    LS
    Dear Lord, please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over Standard TCP/IP

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nathz29 View Post
    I have a similar setup, I just have the Vpn running on the microserver, but mine also runs the Plex server the vpn can cause issues with remote access sometimes

Mine causes hassles EVERYTIME so I have to disable it on the server. I've tried everything and it still buggers the remote up.

Sent from my Poco F1 using Tapatalk
    Just use enough water to cover your vegetables,the same goes for when you're having a bath....

Thanks to satzzz

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nathz29 View Post

I had the same issues, I tried some ‘fixes’ but still wasn’t reliable so ended up running Plex on a VM without VPN. Thought they’d have been a solution by now!

As for the OP, I use VPN clients on each of my endpoints rather than on the router, you might want to use different geo locations depending on use I.e. personal computer might want a UK VPN for privacy and resolving local websites but another country for some geoblocked material.

Thanks to evilsatan

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use pia, some servers you connect to allow port forwarding, but only seems to work some of the time. That was the closest I managed to get it working reliably. My microserver is a bit long in the tooth to run a VM, tried and it just made everything too sluggish

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    Ok, things have moved on since original idea - what if I run all through VPN on my Asus RT-AC88u and Asus RT-ac86U (AImeshed). any recommendations for VPN, what speeds am I I likely to get (I have 310/52 FTTP). I got refund from PUREVPN as it wouldnt work ffs.
    Thanks
    LS

Social Networking Bookmarks