Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default EE apparently offering 330Mbps 4G home broadband

Just had a call from EE as I signed up to a new mobile contract with them yesterday, they were trying to upsell their 4G broadband. I told her not to bother as I am on Virgin so nothing can touch them on speed and she told me that I could currently get a guaranteed 330Mbps on their home broadband (mobile broadband rather than fibre) and if that speed wasn't met an engineer would be sent to install a booster that will boost my mobile coverage as well as broadband speed. She said it is 4G at the moment then when 5G rolls out I can upgrade, 100GB of data for 35/month which is a lot cheaper than my Virgin bills and there is no need for a landline.

I think she has got her wires crossed, when I asked her about the guaranteed 330Mbps and said I don't think that's achieveable on 4G she said they have been testing and managed 1Gbps but surely she must be talking about 5G. The EE site says it hits an average of 31Mbps and I read this on the 4G info site:
    Image result for 4g maximum speeds
    4G offers maximum real-world download speeds up 60Mbps, making it over 20 times faster than 3G. Theoretical maximum 4G speeds are significantly higher at 300Mbps, although such speeds are only achievable in controlled laboratory environments.
    Might be something that can benefit anyone who is in a decent mobile reception area but has been left out of FTTC/FTTP plans. I'll be looking into the latency and reliability compared to cable and if 5G launches here may make the move.

3 Thanks given to evilsatan

piggzy (2nd February 2019), stevo25 (31st January 2019), Teajunkie (31st January 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: EE apparently offering 330Mbps 4G home broadband

I would destroy that 100gb allowance so no good for me
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not sure if they plan to have larger or even unlimited bundles to help them compete with other mobile broadband providers on price (as no line rental needed) and virgin/FTTP on speed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd be more impressed if they could get the signal to a point I don't have to have my head pressed against the window to be able to get enough signal to make a phone call.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    I'd be more impressed if they could get the signal to a point I don't have to have my head pressed against the window to be able to get enough signal to make a phone call.
    Tell me about it, WiFi calling has been a bit of a game changer for me as I can’t take my femtocell everywhere I go and am often in rural areas but WiFi isn’t usually hard to find. Does your phone/network support this?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Afraid not, moved to Virgin (accepting it's EE network so no better) but they don't offer wifi calling. Comes with massive data plan though so fine with SIP calls etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It is on EE's website but states 300MB not 330. Doesnt mention the tech behind it but I don't buy that it is plain and simple 4G...
    Its 45 so maybe a combo of fibre and enhanced 4G or something ?!?!??!?

Thanks
    Karma Level

its prob FTTP, as ee cant offer me any more than im currently getting which is 75Mbs,

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hoponbaby View Post
    Afraid not, moved to Virgin (accepting it's EE network so no better) but they don't offer wifi calling. Comes with massive data plan though so fine with SIP calls etc.
    Hopefully you will get it soon, BT Mobile now offers it so might be filtering down. I rely quite heavily on WiFi Calling and Visual Voicemail so can’t use a lot of resellers who offer much better deals which is annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by piggzy View Post
    It is on EE's website but states 300MB not 330. Doesnt mention the tech behind it but I don't buy that it is plain and simple 4G...
    Its 45 so maybe a combo of fibre and enhanced 4G or something ?!?!??!?
    I think she was confused, her whole pitch was this is a new tech/plan they are rolling out so are pushing it atm, it would mean no physical line as I don’t use a landline. Will keep an eye on it but if anything she must have been talking about 5G speeds but is odd the speeds match what FTTP tends to.

Social Networking Bookmarks