Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default How to get Internet into garage?

Hi guys, I'm trying to get my head around the best way to get internet over to my garage?

What would you do...

So above the garage is a self contained 2 bed annex. I would like wifi to be available here. I also want to install 2 IP cctv camera on the outside of the garage.

I tested a powerline adaptor from the house to the garage but that didn't work unfortunately. Can only assume that its because of the consumer units setup?

In the house theres loads of cat6 network points. I had thought of connecting a wifi access point to one of these that is the closest to the garage. (10meters away)

Then fitting a repeater that has two ethernet ports for the cameras in the garage.

What do you think is this a 'normal' way to do this or am I missing something?

Cheers, Devs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: How to get Internet into garage?

Maybe if I bought two of these? [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If a cable is out of the question then you can look at a wireless link, You could send wireless signal from the house, have it picked up at the garage and either fed into a switch or you might find a device that has one built in. I’ve used Ubiquiti unifi mesh devices recently for similar setups but there will be cheaper kit out there. I have also used an EnGenius outdoor WAP which was within strong range of the house router, installed that externally on a garage and fed an Ethernet into a switch.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks pal, do you think a couple of repeaters would do the job?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by devs View Post
    Thanks pal, do you think a couple of repeaters would do the job?
    if the location of the first repeater gets a solid connection from your main router then yes, but if its not then speed and reliability is gonna be a bad experiance

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a similar setup with powerline adapters and they work fine for the server which lives in the garage.
    the garage is on a separate consumer unit too so not sure why yours isnt working?

Do they work in the main house?
    i have a WiFi repeater for the WiFi plugged into an extension lead which is fixed as close to the roof as possible and this gets the signal ok although I only use WiFi for my phone for radio and Alexa
    Instagram and twitter @mrteajunkie.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought a couple of these for upstairs for kids [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] one hard wired via the ethernet port for pc and wifi for the tablets works great and only needed to use 1

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you wanted to cover your whole home with a single WiFi network then you could look at the whole home or mesh kits, some are a lot cheaper than the Ubiquitis. Would rely on one mesh point in the house having a strong connection to the mesh poin in the garage.

I think the cheapest are the Tenda Nova models, I haven't tried them but I have used the TP-Link Deco M5 kits a couple of times with good results.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Teajunkie View Post
    I have a similar setup with powerline adapters and they work fine for the server which lives in the garage.
    the garage is on a separate consumer unit too so not sure why yours isnt working?

Do they work in the main house?
    i have a WiFi repeater for the WiFi plugged into an extension lead which is fixed as close to the roof as possible and this gets the signal ok although I only use WiFi for my phone for radio and Alexa
    i have this setup too, works faultlessly

Social Networking Bookmarks