Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default are PNY SSD drives any good?

looking to get a 240gb SSD for a laptop, it's a few years old but still very useable for running my embroidery digitising software.
    Are these any good or is there something better similar price?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

or maybe one of these?

many thanks
    PS3: mcd_dodd

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: are PNY SSD drives any good?

You would probably be better off getting this tbh > [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

There is also this, if 120GB is big enough > [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Thanks to josweet

mc.dodd (18th February 2019) 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's a Kingston 120gb for 18 when you apply the 10% discount code DRIVE at the checkout

Thanks to Clownfish

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

PNY are decent for USB drives so as long as their controllers are ok (I’ve never tried their SSDs ) then no reason to think they will cause a problem but to be honest I just stick with Crucial or Samsung. In the past I had quite a few issues with dead Sandisk SSDs, I think that was an issue with a particular model though but knocked my confidence with them.

Thanks to evilsatan

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you are in no rush I got a 480GB one by Kingspec from Aliexpress. Been faultless for nearly 12 months now.
    Cost 38 delivered for double the capacity. If you dont need it massive I think lower size was under 20 delivered.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    PNY are decent for USB drives so as long as their controllers are ok (I’ve never tried their SSDs ) then no reason to think they will cause a problem but to be honest I just stick with Crucial or Samsung. In the past I had quite a few issues with dead Sandisk SSDs, I think that was an issue with a particular model though but knocked my confidence with them.
    I generally like Samsung and have had nothing but good experiences with the 850 Evo. I just thought I would mention there is an issue with a certain 840 model - will seem like it's working fine, but then after a while some files that aren't accessed for a while become ridiculously slow to access, then the drive carries on working but stupidly slow until it's reformatted (or something like that).

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over Carl View Post
    I generally like Samsung and have had nothing but good experiences with the 850 Evo. I just thought I would mention there is an issue with a certain 840 model - will seem like it's working fine, but then after a while some files that aren't accessed for a while become ridiculously slow to access, then the drive carries on working but stupidly slow until it's reformatted (or something like that).
    They released a tool to "fix" that but in reality all it did was read the files and write them back, not sure if a full fix was ever released but those drives are so old now shouldn't be any risk of picking one of those up unless buying used which I wouldn't recommend given new prices are so low at the moment!

Thanks to evilsatan

Over Carl (28th February 2019) 

Social Networking Bookmarks